• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Malaysia (1 Viewer)

Steve.Jonesy

Hi all
I am visiting Malaysia in last two weeks of Jan 23
From KL I will spend a few nights in Taman Negara NP
Cameron Highlands
Penang island
Langkawi.
Also could I see anything in KL itself without leaving the city?
Any birding advice you can give would be much appreciated.
Places to visit in those areas?
What not to do!
Also any local guides you can recommend for a 1/2 day or day trip?
Many thanks
Steve

I've forgotten the name of the main park in KL but it will be on ebird.

I do wonder why Cameron Highlands rather than Fraser's Hill.

Malaysia is a very easy country to visit independently and is very safe. It also has a reputation for having high hygiene standards. I'd spent a totally of 4 1/2 months there without a hint of illness until a recent 5 week trip where I got gardia and two of my family were ill. A friends was there at the same time and had similar issues. He and I think it was one of the floating restaurants at Taman Negara NP. So I would chose you frood carefully there.

Haha for high hygiene standards - TN was the place of my absolutely worst diarrhea in my life for a couple of days - two of which I have spent in the most distant bunbun which has no toilet and I had to climb up and down every ten minutes through the entire night to shit on some leeches in the forest. Especially the climbs back were very long. But then again, I have also eaten in the aforementioned floating restaurants before, so that might as well be the singular focal point of the problem :))

Haha for high hygiene standards - TN was the place of my absolutely worst diarrhea in my life for a couple of days - two of which I have spent in the most distant bunbun which has no toilet and I had to climb up and down every ten minutes through the entire night to shit on some leeches in the forest. Especially the climbs back were very long. But then again, I have also eaten in the aforementioned floating restaurants before, so that might as well be the singular focal point of the problem :))
Oh and leaches aren't great! I have spent four weeks in total at TN over three trips. It is an amazing place but I have to admit I won't be rushing back. Perhaps avoid the floating restaurants. I think there are one or two other places. I know there was one place selling beer; I think they may have had food. Kumbang hide? Yes, I had the night there with giardia and some noisy tourists and their guide who I left in no doubt that they needed to shut up. They did so and almost immediately a tapir turned up. We parted on friendly terms.

I've forgotten the name of the main park in KL but it will be on ebird.

I do wonder why Cameron Highlands rather than Fraser's Hill.

Malaysia is a very easy country to visit independently and is very safe. It also has a reputation for having high hygiene standards. I'd spent a totally of 4 1/2 months there without a hint of illness until a recent 5 week trip where I got gardia and two of my family were ill. A friends was there at the same time and had similar issues. He and I think it was one of the floating restaurants at Taman Negara NP. So I would chose you frood carefully there.
We’re staying at the Mutiara taman Negara resort . That’s between the park centre and the swamp loop on the other side of the river from the main town. Will try and watch what we eat but hopefully as it’s a hotel it will be okay.
Have we made a mistake with Cameron Highlands. We were advised by a tour agent. I guess it’s based on the fact not all our party are obsessed with birdwatching lol!

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back