• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2010 (1 Viewer)

All good stuff. I am learning loads from this thread and I live here! I think Cuber is better than Mortitx for the variety of raptors.I have never been to the Castle at Orient but will go there, thanks. I am going to Albufera for the day tomorow and will post. Oh, and I have never seen Spectacled warbler here as they really are pretty rare.

The other thing (other than tour buses) about the road to cuber if you are driving are the cyclists.

They are suicidal, travel in swarms downhill at maximum speed and usually come around the many hairpin bends head-on towards you on the wrong side of the road. They think they are immortal.

It's two wheels, good; four wheels bad for those fellows.

I would like to thank everyone who has participated in this thread. I will be going in another week, and I can hardly wait after getting my appetite kindled by your descriptions :t:

Niels

I went to Albercutx watch tower yesterday for a while but sadly missed the action as I was at Albufera. I missed Pallid harrier today too!
Never mind, Albufera was great if a little quiet, migration seems slow this year with hardly any warblers at the reserve. Great reed is usually in but not this year yet. I did see, Wood sandpiper, Marsh sandpiper,loads of Yellow wagtail,Squacco heron,Nightingale, many Marsh harriers, Peregrine,10 Garganey, Fan-tailed warbler,Cettis warbler, Woodchat shrike, Purple heron and high numbers of hirundines and Common swift.
Yes, it is that time of year when cyclists are everywhere with their own set of rules. Wild flowers are out and look spectacular.

I went to Albercutx watch tower yesterday for a while but sadly missed the action as I was at Albufera. I missed Pallid harrier today too!
Never mind, Albufera was great if a little quiet, migration seems slow this year with hardly any warblers at the reserve. Great reed is usually in but not this year yet. I did see, Wood sandpiper, Marsh sandpiper,loads of Yellow wagtail,Squacco heron,Nightingale, many Marsh harriers, Peregrine,10 Garganey, Fan-tailed warbler,Cettis warbler, Woodchat shrike, Purple heron and high numbers of hirundines and Common swift.
Yes, it is that time of year when cyclists are everywhere with their own set of rules. Wild flowers are out and look spectacular.

Sorry about my message, was a bit misleading, I didn't realise how late I posted... The Pallid was seen yesterday (10th). Also read somewhere on the gob forum about a singing Great Reed Warbler at s'albufera yesterday.

Had my first visit to Cap Blanc on 29th March, but no luck with Rock Sparrow. Saw my first Northern Wheatear for this year though.
Yesterday 2 Short-toed Lark in Colonia Sant Pere, today lots of warblers at Es Calo (Betlem), Willow, Chiff-chaff and Wood Warblers, a male Pied Flycatcher and a close view of pale morph Booted Eagle. Tawny Pipit and Thekla Lark also at Colonia Sant Pere.

Last edited:
I have just returned from Mallorca where amongst other things I had excellent views of a pair of Balearic Warblers nest building at Boquer Valley. The birds are close to the path and should be easy to view without disturbance - i'm happy to post more accurate details providing no one objects or else PM me for more precise gen. Birding aside, I also saw my first False Smooth Snake at the same site

regards

Stuart

on the advice of you lot on the thread i have booked a rent-a-car, never driven a left hand drive car or on the contintent, therefore i am absolutely petrified!!! therefore i am seeking some reassurance on how terrifying a drive from pollensa to cuber will be? Also how long will it take, and what time would you suggest to get there for in the morning?

Also still unsure of where this castle at Orient is, can anyone enlighten me?

Cheers karl

The drive from Pollenca down to Soller is spectacular! Don't be to "petrified", enjoy it!

For the Castillo d'Alaro: If you park in Orient and then walk along the road to Alaro (about 500m ish) you'll come past the Hermitage hotel and on the right is a gate. There is a hand written sign directing you .. UP!!!!!!! and UP!!!!!!!!! Go through the gate and bear left. You will pick up the well trodden path. It is nowhere near Pollensa so you'll need the car though.

Regarding Rock Thrush - I've been going to Cuber for years and never seen one there! You see the blues though. Cuber is good too if you walk along the ridge in the direction of L'Ofre.

Good luck!

SBM

Last edited:
on the advice of you lot on the thread i have booked a rent-a-car, never driven a left hand drive car or on the contintent, therefore i am absolutely petrified!!! therefore i am seeking some reassurance on how terrifying a drive from pollensa to cuber will be? Also how long will it take, and what time would you suggest to get there for in the morning?

Also still unsure of where this castle at Orient is, can anyone enlighten me?

Cheers karl

Karl

Only the first 2 minutes are terrifying. You tend to drift over to the right a bit. As you are driving on the right hand side and the drivers seat is on the left, concentrate on the roads centre line to keep your car from drifting. Of course you also must watch all around you as well. If you are driving from the airport thats always the most terrifying with adjoining junctions etc, but generally getting used to looking left at junctions for oncoming traffic instead of right is hard to get used to. If you are getting the car in resort it is much easier because road systems are quieter and straightforward. the road to Cuber is easy just windy, but having said that keep your eyes on the road not on any birds. You can get stuck frustratingly behind coaches going to Lluc monastery but i don't thnk they start out til at least 9a.m.

You tend to revert to left hand side driving when you are tired so be careful, especially if you are stopping and starting and pulling over to watch birds, I reckon that is the most dangerous time. But its just driving a car at the end of the day its fundamentally the same.

Cuber will take about an hour from Pollenca if the road is clear, Cuber is only about a mile after the first reservoir you pass on your left on the way to Soller, and the car park is only small and is upon you quickly. My advice to you would be to check the weather forecast, try to go on nice, still days - this is critical in my opinion especially if you want to see small birds. Try and get there for 8 or as soon after if you can (earlier if possible), warblers and paaserines may be more active then, unless it is very cold until the sun comes up, but having said that the vultures may not fly much until it warms up towards midday, thats why I go for 3 hours minimum and just slowly amble around, its easy to miss stuff and it can appear quite birdless when infact it is not. Don't expect it to be like S'Albufera, you often have to work hard for the relatively few birds and you may find it frustrating, but i just love being there!

Last edited:
I agree Wolfbirder, it is the best in my opinion for the balance of birds and tranquillity. I agree too that a windier day is better than a still one. About from anything else it keeps some of the walkers away! SBM

PS: and Karl, watch out for the bl**dy cyclists! I've nothing against cycling - I do it myself - but those around the island (mostly german/scandics) tend to dominate the road. They take full advatage of the new rule of being able to ride in parallel too! Last week I nearly ran some down on the left side of the road - four across!!

Last edited:
Good advice from Wolfbirder, nothing to add really.Driving Mallorca is fun!! I love it but it can get a bit hairy on some of the mountain roads, mostly in high summer though. Driving on the "wrong" side is much easier than expected because the steering wheel is on the left it all seems quite natural. Cyclists are a pain though.
Patience is required for many of the Mallorca birds. I really do respect all kinds of birders but I have been at Cuber and seen some people walk quickly round and declare nothing is about. It really does take a long while to see some of the skulkers.

I thought Cuber was a fantastic place when I went. There was a very showy Black Stork as well as Black Vulture, Eleonara's and Red Kite. Vehicle theft was a problem then though and I imagine still is.

Stephen.

I recommended a nice still day, others say ok if it is breezy. Take your pick then !!

I prefer virtually windless my self. Simply for ease of observation. And remember if it is breezy at coastal resort, it is likely (not definitely) going to be worse up in the mountains at Cuber.

I am glad others agree about taking it very slowly, remember there is no rush, and you have two sides of the path to observe so be patient and you may see some good warblers.

where is the castle at orient? I haven't seen it in the books is it near pollensa?

Sorry, I could have made that clearer - typing in haste ... I was referring to Alaro Castle which is between Orient and Alaro. From the main Ma13 dual carriageway turn off north in between Palma and Inca (at Consell if I remember right), or from the Palma to Soller road turn off at Bunyola.

Google "castillo de alaro" and you'll find it.

Cheers
Nick

Vehicle theft was a problem then though and I imagine still is.

Stephen.

Could'nt agree more, my partner at the time left her bag on the floor of the front seat, when we returned from our walk, all her money had gone.
But don't let it put you off, it's a fantastic place, just be sensible an either take your valuables with you or lock them in the boot out of site.

Can't wait to get back over there.

Chris.

www.westportlake.blogspot.com

I have just returned from Mallorca where amongst other things I had excellent views of a pair of Balearic Warblers nest building at Boquer Valley. The birds are close to the path and should be easy to view without disturbance - i'm happy to post more accurate details providing no one objects or else PM me for more precise gen. Birding aside, I also saw my first False Smooth Snake at the same site

regards

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

I found mine, probably two pairs, per my earlier post. I've struggled with Balearic Warblers in the past but most of my Majorca hols have been in October and I'm sure they must be more difficult then. Did you check out the bypass roadside quarry at Albercutx as some good stuff there??

Malcolm

If you dip on Balearic Warbler at Boquer Valley try Formentor peninsula first thing, I had great views of a bird right by the Formentor peninsila tip cafe around the car park scrub and in the scrub by the winding approach road immediately before the cafe (within 100 metres). Also it is worth checking the scrub by very small parking spots en route (I think between 14-16km markers), either side of short tunnel.

Bit hit and miss, but they seemed to love the early morning sun.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back