• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2012 (4 Viewers)

Enjoyed a great week in majorca from 31st March to 6th April. Based in PP and birded by foot, bike and bus. 105 sp for the week which was good for me but no lifers. Bocquer was pretty poor for passerines but better for raptors with Honey Buzzard, Common Buzzard and Mony's Harrier all passing through plus the resident Booted Eagles. The Balearic Warblers were trickier than usual due to the strong wind but with patience some good views on the seaward slope. For the first time afler many years of visiting the valley, I found a big number of Balearic Shearwaters out from Cala Bocquer on 1st April. Albufereta "back roads" gave me both Thekla and Short-toed Lark plus the Flamingo and a very tame?? White Stork, Water Pipit and an unexpected Alpine Swift. Albufera on 3rd was pretty good with Avocet (2), Spoonbill, Marbelled Duck (1), Stone Curlew (50+) and lots of waders. A second visit there on 5th turned up 2 Temmink's Stints. Best day was the last, 6th. Heavy rain put some migrants down and by noon lots were around the back of PP. Off the by-pass I found Cirl Bunting, Spectacled warbler, Pied Fly, Redstart and Black Redstart and a nice RR Swallow at Torrents San Jordi. Loads of Swallows passing through. Osprey at the Gola creek. Large numbers of Shearwaters at the mouth of Pollenca bay were most likely Scolopi's (confirmed by earlier posts). I finished with bird of the week, a nice 2nd winter Med Gull over PP marina at 7pm. I think this bird is a bit of a rarity for Majorca so would appreciate if someone would let the local recorder know.

Great week overall and met some nice folk too. BVs from the Daina balcony most days but no Eleanoras I'm afraid. Notable dips included Crossbill which are usually easy from the Illa d'or to the naval base, Sub Alpine and Great Reed (or any sp of Reed?)

Cheers, Malcolm

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back