• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manchester, MA USA (1 Viewer)

scottk

My friend (who is not a birder but is very wildlife knowledgable) took these pics on January 1st. He described them as "hawk-like" birds "soaring" with light undersides. Said very high up so not a lot of detail. Could they possibly be Broad-winged Hawks in January in Massachusetts??

Attachments

• IMG_9608.jpg
    IMG_9608.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_7372.jpg
    IMG_7372.jpg
    960.7 KB · Views: 57
My first guess from the description was turkey vultures, but the wing position doesn't look right. Next thought was gulls, but I don't see any sign of a white head or tail. Given the numbers, not likely to be hawks, especially broad-wings. (In the last ten winters, eBird shows ONE broadwing in Gloucester, one in Connecticut, and a couple of sightings [probably the same bird] in Maine.) Gonna have to agree with the Fern here.

Last edited:
The only time you would see this many hawks together would be during their fall or spring migration , and even then it would be unusual to see that many together. I agree with Butty. The wings spans are too flat to be vultures. They must be crows.

In my area (mid-atlantic U.S.), crows congregate in large roosts during the winter. I was just on a walk and saw a large flock circling in just the fashion shown in the photos. Not sure if they were Fish or American Crows, but I have noticed that Fish Crows have different flocking behavior from American, e.g. Fish Crows will often fly in rather disorganized flocks.

My best guess is Ring-billed Gulls. Crows rarely soar in large groups like this, although if roosting maybe they'd swirl around some. I think the wing shape looks a bit better for gulls, and light undersides would fit. Photo quality is such that I'm not too confident in all of that.

My best guess is Ring-billed Gulls.
My first thought was gulls also, but all the birds look dark against the sky, and I do not see any clear gull shapes which are usually quite distinctive. Further, as stated above, I saw exactly this type of behavior recently by crows: a semi-organized spiraling behavior starting high in the sky. So everything fits for crows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back