• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manistee and Benzie Christmas Bird Counts (1 Viewer)

Phaethon

The Manistee and Benzie Christmas Bird counts will be held in two weeks. Manistee will be on December 19th and Benzie on December 20th. Both areas are great places for winter birding (lots of White-winged Crossbills during last years invasion) and need more volunteers.

leave a message on the forum if you live nearby and can help on one of the counts.

BA

So close! I'm afraid I'll be coming up on the 23rd though, so I can't help. Where were the crossbills seen in Benzie last year? I'd be interested to see some. Good Luck!

WW Crossbills

Crossbills were very widespread last year. I saw them in Hemlock groves near Lake Michigan in Benzie County but they were seen in EVERY county of Michigan last year! HAven't seen any this year. Best place to look is in tamarack and hemlock trees with the little cones that they like to forage in.

hopefully we will have some this year.

BA

results 2009 CBC

No crossbills on the count this year but did have one Red Crossbill in the week before the count.

Manistee's CBC is at 68 species with 2 more possible to be check out. Unusual species were: 2 Red-throated Loons, 1 Catbird, 1 Common Yellowthroat. Large numbers of Long-tailed Ducks (over 6,000) and Goldeneyes (over 3,000).

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back