• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mannikins or Munias (1 Viewer)

Sal

Can anyone help with this query?
Which is the correct common name for Lonchura cucullata, Lonchura bicolor and Lonchura fringilloides?
In the latest Roberts List they are called Mannikins, as they are in the African Bird Club database. Avibase also has them as Mannikins. But in the Birdforum database they are called Munias. Wikipedia says they can be either. If this is the case should we have some kind of link/keyword Mannikin to Munia for search purposes in our database?

Sal said:
Can anyone help with this query?
Which is the correct common name for Lonchura cucullata, Lonchura bicolor and Lonchura fringilloides?
In the latest Roberts List they are called Mannikins, as they are in the African Bird Club database. Avibase also has them as Mannikins. But in the Birdforum database they are called Munias. Wikipedia says they can be either. If this is the case should we have some kind of link/keyword Mannikin to Munia for search purposes in our database?

Hi Sal,
The Database on BF was erected using the Sibley-Monroe as the taxonomic authority, and this for convenience as only one had to be chosen in order to facilitate the work done by the many volunteers that work on the Database. It would be too much to ask for them to have to handle and be competent in all of the various world lists, as well as also the regional bird checklists, such as the Roberts list, however authoritative they may be considered by one and all.

cuckooroller said:
Hi Sal,
The Database on BF was erected using the Sibley-Monroe as the taxonomic authority, and this for convenience as only one had to be chosen in order to facilitate the work done by the many volunteers that work on the Database. It would be too much to ask for them to have to handle and be competent in all of the various world lists, as well as also the regional bird checklists, such as the Roberts list, however authoritative they may be considered by one and all.

Thanks Steve, I understand that.

Hi Sal
They will always be Bronze Mannikins to me!
A school project on them won me a uni (sorry 'varsity) scholarship - many, many moons ago,.

pete woodall said:
Hi Sal
They will always be Bronze Mannikins to me!
A school project on them won me a uni (sorry 'varsity) scholarship - many, many moons ago,.

Thanks for that Pete - they will always be Mannikins to me too (or sometimes Frets!)

I believe the term Munia was original as there is some other group of birds which are unrelated that are also known as Mannikins. Some species are also called nuns. All three of these names got confused and mixed up in aviculture are all three may be used eg. Sharp-tailed Munia, White Hooded Nun, and Broanze Mannikin.

By the way; this shouldn't be an issue anymore, as the the Opus (which could be considered a new version of the old database) allows redirects. If you do a search in the Opus for Magpie Mannikin‎, Black and White Mannikin‎ or Bronze Mannikin‎ you'll now be forwarded to the correct page.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back