• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Maplin Power Pack attachment revisited (1 Viewer)

Mark Ansell

loonaddict
Hi folks, I'm visiting my relatives in London this June and was wanting to pickup a Maplin Power pack for my Nikon 4500 while I was there. Does anyone have a picture of this device actually attached to a Nikon 4500 that they could post? Their website picture is kind of dark and doesn't show how it mounts. I use the Eagle Eye Wing 11 support for my cable release and lens hood, can the power pak still be monted with this in the way. I know a read a post about someone else concerns about this as well but I can't find it.
Lastly, does anyone use all of these accessories with a Zeiss Quick camera adapter?

Regards from the colonies.

Mark Ansell

Hi Mark,

I take it that you plan to use the 4500 etc for digi-scoping??

If so, you will not be able to attach the Maplin powerpack to the camera - it uses the tripod screw (which you will have already used for your cable-realease bracket etc....

The solution is to attach your Maplin powerpack to the tripod handle via gaffer tape or some such - the piece of cable supplied is plenty long enough to reach the camera.

Sounds a bit Heath Robinson, but it works fine....

Thanks for the reply. Yes I'm using the 4500 for digiscoping. What I couldn't see from the picture was how long the cable really is and if there is enough of it to allow me to move it around a bit. I'm planning on getting the Zeiss camera adapter so I need some cable "room" in order to be able to swing the camera out of the way without being resticted by the lack of cable length.
I don't suppose you have a picture you could post?

Thx
Mark

I was concerned about this and posted a question on the digiscoping forum (maybe that's what you saw).

I already had this battery pack and wanted to buy add a shutter release, I was worried about attaching it all to the camera. Coolpix 995

In fact I went ahead and bought the Eagle eye generic release arm. Happily I find that the release arm, which also screws into the tripod mount, comes with it's own tripod screw so that I can "stack" the mount and the battery pack. ie I screw the release arm into the camera and then the battery pack into the release arm. The cable still reaches the camera OK.

I'm at work at the moment but when I get home I could measure the cable for you, I don't think I can manage a picture of it mounted though as I only have one digital camera and don't think even that swivel body will allow it to take a photo of itself!!

Kath

Maplin Cable

Hi Kath, thank you that will be great. Sounds like from the replies I've had and from what I've read, this power pak is the way to go. I like to keep my Nikon on the 5M setting while I'm composing but although I've got 3 batteries they don't work if I don't remember to charge them, dah. Do you leave the Nikon batteries in the camera when you're using the power pak?

Mark

The cable allows a reach of 25cm from the battery pack to the camera socket.

I do leave batteries in the camera when the pack is attached.

I have found the battery pack has greatly improved my digiscoping experience because I simply don't have to keep turning the camera off to save power or worry about taking a long time to line up a shot in the monitor.

Kath

Attachments

• Dscn2734.jpg
    Dscn2734.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 191
  • Dscn2735.jpg
    Dscn2735.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 165
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back