• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

March 2009 moths (4 Viewers)

Went up to the woods last night & like Benny had the usual range of species + the 1st Engraileds of the year.

T.advenella 5
Yellow Horned 2
March Moth 3
Oak Beauty 18
Engrailed 3
Chestnut 1

Attachments

• IMG_3991.JPG
    IMG_3991.JPG
    261.9 KB · Views: 48
Just had a Mottled Grey in the trap! Not the most exciting moth but i am off the starting blocks. Hopefully there'll be a few more moths in the trap by the morning.

And indeed i did have another in the trap this morning, a Common Quaker.

It's very clear here so I don't expect a great catch. I've had to go out twice so far to chase off the neighbour's cat. It seems to be enjoying chasing the moths that are fluttering around the trap - not a prob. I've had before! Perhaps I should get it some shades.
Ken

It's very clear here so I don't expect a great catch. I've had to go out twice so far to chase off the neighbour's cat. It seems to be enjoying chasing the moths that are fluttering around the trap - not a prob. I've had before! Perhaps I should get it some shades.
Ken

At risk of upsetting moggy-lovers, I find a water-pistol works well!

David

First time I've heard anyone suggest that a water-pistol is an essential part of the moth'er's equipment!
I'm afraid I was lazy and sent the dog down the garden.
Despite the clear sky, moths are certainly active.
Ken

Local Woodland produced another good catch tonight from 8-10pm

1x Red Chestnut [NFY]
1x Chestnut
1x March Moth
11x Small Quaker
4x Common Quaker
2x Oak Beauty
2x Hebrew Character
3x Clouded Drab
1x Shoulder-stripe
2x Engrailed

Exactly what Ken said, its nearly a completely clear sky here but they were about alright!

14 March

I trapped from dusk till c10.30 with my 125 MV and got 172 moths of 8 species:

shoulder stripe (2) nfy
March moth (2)
oak beauty (3) nfy
small quaker (134)
common quaker (22)
Hebrew character (4)
clouded drab (4)
red chestnut (1)

The two shoulder stripes had rather different markings. One of the drabs was much more attractive than the typical ones I get -- Edit - no wonder, it's a red chestnut!!. I'll post a photo later.
Ken

Attachments

• shoulder stripe1 ex5988 (650).JPG
    shoulder stripe1 ex5988 (650).JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 50
  • shoulder stripe2 ex6005 (650).JPG
    shoulder stripe2 ex6005 (650).JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 47
  • clouded drab2 ex6018 (650).JPG
    clouded drab2 ex6018 (650).JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 58
  • oak beauty exDSCN6010 (650).JPG
    oak beauty exDSCN6010 (650).JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 46
  • red chestnut ex5995 (650).JPG
    red chestnut ex5995 (650).JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Wow, what a catch, Ken! Five species on your list I've never seen, very jealous of the Red Chestnut! Great photos. Didn't you have loads of Small Quakers this time last year too, I seem to remember?

I've only trapped 12 moths so far this year. |=(|

Glorious sunny day here, I'll try again tonight.

Nerine

Wow, what a catch, Ken! Five species on your list I've never seen, very jealous of the Red Chestnut! Great photos. Didn't you have loads of Small Quakers this time last year too, I seem to remember?

I've only trapped 12 moths so far this year. |=(|

Glorious sunny day here, I'll try again tonight.

Nerine

Hi, Nerine, don't be too jealous, you get lots that I don't!
Last year small quaker was my commonest species. I rather hope that it is this year as it becomes quite a chore counting dozens of any species! In the shed last night, the red chestnut looked very pale. It only looked red in daylight... which shows that one has to be careful at leaping to conclusions.
Ken

Hi All,

I put my home made moth trap out for the first time last night. I only had it out for about 4 1/2 hours as I want to let the neighbours get used to it gradually. There was nothing in the trap but I found an Oak Beauty and a Clouded Drab on the outside of it and an Oak Beauty on the shed nearby.
I am putting it out again tonight in a different place (trying to see which area of the garden would cause the least disturbance to the neighbours) hopefully something might go in it.
I can only leave it out until about 10.00 pm though as I have to be up a 5.00am for work.

Good luck, Sourton.
I sometimes put an upturned wheelbarrow in line of sight with our bedroom window to cut down the glare. You might be able to rig up something if the light is a problem for your neighbours.
Ken

PS Just found a herald in my shed. I don't know whether it was in the trap last night or not.

Attachments

• herald ex6028 (650).JPG
    herald ex6028 (650).JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
2x Early Grey's this morning bringing my yearly total species to 28, same time last year I was barely into 6 species, so my Garden is proving much more prolific this Spring.
Other Moths included the usual suspects, 4x Clouded Drab, 8x Hebrew Chracter, 6x Common Quaker, 2x March Moths and singles of A.heracliana and Small Quaker.

Nice Herald Ken, and well done on the Red Chestnut, had one a few nights back, it appeared purple in the light then away from the light it looked uncanningly similiar to a few Clouded Drabs.

First reasonable result of the year:

125W MV
March Moth, 2
Small Quaker, 3
Common Quaker, 4
Hebrew Character, 1
Clouded Drab, 2

Also a Caloptilia sp. to the kitchen window yesterday evening, looks like elongella/betulicola to me. Either would be a first for me.

Well I think I found the ideal spot to put my trap so as not to disturb the neighbours. It has a fence next to it a shed behind it and a tree about 8-10ft in front of it. They can see there is a bright light out there but it wont be "in there faces" so to speak. Hopefully I can leave it on alot longer next weekend as I dont have to work. Would the moths come to the light wherever I placed it in the garden or does it have to be right out in the open to attract them.

I think some moths will come to the trap if it's in a small corner of the garden but you'd get more if you put is where they can see the light from a considerable distance. But it's probably best to compromise and avoid upsetting the neighbours!
Ken

Slow but steady. Last couple of nights produced:

Hebrew Character x 4
Early Grey x 2
Common Quaker
Eudonia angustea (I think - photo below)

Lovely days, cold nights.

Nerine

ps One of the Hebrew Characters was unusually marked, it also had a crumpled left wing, bigger than the other two in the trap.

Thanks for confirming E. angustea, Brian!

Attachments

• moths 16Mar09 006.jpg
    moths 16Mar09 006.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 51
  • Hebrew Char 16Mar09.jpg
    Hebrew Char 16Mar09.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 52
  • Heb Char 2 16mar09.jpg
    Heb Char 2 16mar09.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Got cold here last night too but:
Common Quaker, 2
Hebew Character, 2
Clouded Drab, 2
March Moth, 2
Twin-spotted Quaker, 1 (absent from my garden in 2007/8 so a welcome return)

I agree with E. angustea.

Attachments

• twin-spotted_quaker_16mar09_800l_20.jpg
    twin-spotted_quaker_16mar09_800l_20.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back