• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Marsh Warbler? Avon, SW England (1 Viewer)

pete5353

Hello,

I'm new to this forum.

I photographed this warbler in Avon, SW England today and was wondering if it could be a marsh warbler (darker colouring, pale legs) rather than a reed warbler.

Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• 1warbler1.jpg
    1warbler1.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 267
  • 1warbler2.jpg
    1warbler2.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 143
  • 1warbler3.jpg
    1warbler3.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 221
Hi Pete.

Presumably you don't have any rump shots? I agree with your comments re coloration (although I would poss expect a MW to look even more olive), but this may be down to the light considering the lush green surrounds of the bird. I'm not seeing any pale tips to the primaries either- indeed most Reed Warblers have paler tips than this bird! I would be inclined to stick with RW for this bird.

Last edited:
Cosmetics and wing structure look good...everything seems to fit ok..I think you've got it. Here's a ''classic'' Spring Reed Warbler I shot last year for comparison.

cheers

Attachments

• Reed Wrblr.profile at St.Paul's May 4th 2012.jpg
    Reed Wrblr.profile at St.Paul's May 4th 2012.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Cosmetics and wing structure look good...everything seems to fit ok..I think you've got it. Here's a ''classic'' Spring Reed Warbler I shot last year for comparison.

cheers

'Here's a highly contrasty, poorly lit photo of a RW that provides little use as a comparison'....

'Here's a highly contrasty, poorly lit photo of a RW that provides little use as a comparison'....

Agreed..my images are not as good as the OP's, however, I've taken all...and more contrast, from the same image!...and it's still a ''Classic'' Reed Warbler, showing the warm rufous tones, as for bill length, I think you'll agree that it appears shorter than the OP's, this can be variable dependant on crown posture. If you look at the second image supplied (another inferior image), again showing obvious rufous tones...quite unlike the OP's bird.

Attachments

• Reed Wrblr.profile at St.Paul's May 4th 2012.jpg
    Reed Wrblr.profile at St.Paul's May 4th 2012.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 43
  • RW 25 Cannon St..jpg
    RW 25 Cannon St..jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 65
I see, among other things, no pale primary tips, a P3 emargination falling roughly level with the secondaries, and tertials not overhanging the secondaries, all of which point towards reed warbler.

I see, among other things, no pale primary tips, a P3 emargination falling roughly level with the secondaries, and tertials not overhanging the secondaries, all of which point towards reed warbler.

Having trawled the web images for MW...I find that in most cases 'tertial' 3 overhangs the secondaries, however in a number of cases they appear to be in alignment (this may well be posture related..so presumably not set in stone?).

Perhaps the lighting is not ''contrasty'' enough to show any pale primary tips.

Looking at Image 3 the starboard wing appears to show alignment...whereas Image 1 shows overhang (bit of movement there?).

Emarginations can be very supportive...would like to have seen better shots of these.

FWIW...It looks nothing like a RW...What were your other reservations?

I'd expect to see more contrast in the tertials in a marsh warbler, and more evenly spaced primary tips. Also the bill looks a little long to me.

Hi Pete.

Presumably you don't have any rump shots? I agree with your comments re coloration (although I would poss expect a MW to look even more olive), but this may be down to the light considering the lush green surrounds of the bird. I'm not seeing any pale tips to the primaries either- indeed most Reed Warblers have paler tips than this bird! I would be inclined to stick with RW for this bird.

sorry Dan no Rump shots - thanks for sharing your knowledge

Apologies for a slight high-jacking but this is the same question.

Taken in Lesvos this year. If I can remember the song, I think it might be a reed warbler but I would be grateful of some confirmation.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2245.JPG
    IMG_2245.JPG
    393.9 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2251.JPG
    IMG_2251.JPG
    436.4 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2258.JPG
    IMG_2258.JPG
    322.2 KB · Views: 111
There's no argument with the emargination! clearly it conforms to scirpaceous.

However I've Never seen a Spring RW without any vestige of warmth. What are the emarginations like...on any hybrid RW x MW?

There's no argument with the emargination! clearly it conforms to scirpaceous.

However I've Never seen a Spring RW without any vestige of warmth. What are the emarginations like...on any hybrid RW x MW?

There's a very interesting discussion on a cold coloured spring Reed warbler (that was initially thought to be a Marsh) on the link Jane posted a few posts up.

I'm not aware of any hybridisation between Reed and Marsh - not that that means it can't happen of course. I do think that there are enough pro reed features on the OP bird to make the most likely outcome a cold coloured reed warbler or a normal reed warbler that looks cold coloured as a result of some sort of photographic artefact.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back