• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Martin house (1 Viewer)

dbender

United States
My Martin houses were destroyed in a bad storm earlier this year. It was during the peak of the breeding season all the hatched birds died and of course the eggs. The adult birds all left after I got them repaired. Will they return next year or do I need to move them to a new area? They have been up for probably 25 years or more.

They are site loyal. They will certainly return to the area. Whether they like the new boxes is another matter, but they aren't usually that fussy.

My Martin houses were destroyed in a bad storm earlier this year. It was during the peak of the breeding season all the hatched birds died and of course the eggs. The adult birds all left after I got them repaired. Will they return next year or do I need to move them to a new area? They have been up for probably 25 years or more.
House Martins are creatures of habit, so they should be back next year. I would only move the boxes if it’s highly likely that they will get destroyed again in the position they are in. If it was a freak storm that’s unlikely to repeat itself you should be ok.

They shouldn't get destroyed again. Super high winds bent the pole that they were mounted on. Like I mentioned never had any issues in at least 25 yrs other than this one. It is repaired now and hopefully they'll return in spring. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back