• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Maven B1.2 or Meopta MeoPro Air? (1 Viewer)

raptorbfl

Looking to purchase a $1000 10 x 42 binocular and after much research, have narrowed my choices down between either the Maven B1.2 or the Meopta Meopro Air 10 x 42.
What are you all thoughts and experience with these 2 models? Which is known to have the better build quality, ergonomics and optical quality?

Thanks

I have tried both of your choices, but I think for the money the GPO HD 10x42 is a better value. Doug has them on sale at Cameraland for $889.99. The sale ends May 8.

Product Description

Product Description | Camera Land NY
cameralandny.com
cameralandny.com
Thanks, but I tried and handled the GPO Passion HD and just a bit to bulky, heavy and larger for my liking.

The GPO is only 2 oz. heavier and 1 oz. heavier than the Maven and the Meopro and only about an inch longer and that is because the build quality is better having metal eye cups, and it is way better optically than either. The GPO has the best eye cups I have ever seen on any binoculars and a focuser that is as smooth as the Nikon EDG. I would say it is alpha level optically and build quality wise for a lot less money than an alpha.
I 100% agree with this conclusion.

The GPO Passion HD is a "buy once, delight forever" binocular and far, far superior to either of your choices.

The GPO is only 2 oz. heavier and 1 oz. heavier than the Maven and the Meopro and only about an inch longer and that is because the build quality is better having metal eye cups, and it is way better optically than either. The GPO has the best eye cups I have ever seen on any binoculars and a focuser that is as smooth as the Nikon EDG. I would say it is alpha level optically and build quality wise for a lot less money than an alpha.
OK? Are you a salesman at Camerland?? The eye cups on the Maven ARE metal and pretty sure the same for the Meopta.

Last edited:
I’d opt for the Maven. Japanese components assembled in the US. Real quality feel to Mavens. I’m not sure if you’ve considered or tried the Nikon Monarch HG, made in Japan. The optics are superb and you really notice it at far distances. Also very lightweight and very wide fov with great sharpness to the edges. I love mine but also liked the Maven B3s I owned. Still would but the eyecups were too short. Of course the best would be to compare side by side. Maven has a demo program so you can take them for a spin to see if you like them.

The GPO Passion HD 10x42 also won the Best Binocular Award for 2019 and here are some of the reviewers comments.

"Scoring a massive 90% BBR score, there is no doubt in my mind that the Passion HD binoculars from German Precision Optics is not only one of the top rated binoculars in 2019, but ranks up there with the very best HD binoculars that I have ever used."

A Few Highlights:
  • The body components used by GPO and the overall build quality are out of the top drawer. This includes the use of a magnesium alloy chassis and aluminum eye-piece housings for the super smooth focus wheel with its integrated diopter adjuster.
  • You could not wish for high-grade optical components and coatings which includes two ED glass elements within each lens and hydrophobic coatings on the exterior surfaces that ensure a better view in all conditions, remain cleaner for longer and are easier to clean when you eventually have to.
  • These very high specification optical components combine well to deliver what I thought was a truly exceptional view, and which I believe is as good or better than any instrument at this or even the higher "alpha" price level.
  • For a 10x42, the image brightness is super impressive.
  • I really like the quality and semi-rigid construction of the carry case, and the neck strap is one of the most comfortable that I have ever used.
  • For a binocular with a 10x magnification, these GPO Passion HD 10x42 binoculars have a very wide field of view. Indeed, at 336ft@1000yds, it exactly matches that of both the Leica 10x42 Ultravid HD and the Swarovski 10x42 EL.
Are you a employee at GPO or Camerland?? You sure are pushing them HARD!

Hey denco, why don't you cut the BS and just answer the OP's question instead of spewing your usual boatload of BS? Just answer his freaking question since you've tried both. Nobody believes your analysis anymore anyway, and rightfully so.

To the OP, I find the Meopro Air very, very close to the SLC HD's optically. I'm a Meopta homer though, and believe them to be a very, very near alpha maker.

Hey denco, why don't you cut the BS and just answer the OP's question instead of spewing your usual boatload of BS? Just answer his freaking question since you've tried both. Nobody believes your analysis anymore anyway, and rightfully so.

To the OP, I find the Meopro Air very, very close to the SLC HD's optically. I'm a Meopta homer though, and believe them to be a very, very near alpha maker.
I agree! Funny how denco failed to mention that very same reviewer on BBR also scored the Maven B1.2 at 88%. Pretty darn close to GPO score of 90%. He loved them!

Dennis (aka Denco)
Bless your little heart. I finally logged back into BF in the last 2 wks after a nine year absence, and I see that not much has changed.;) You don't have to be the Magic 8 ball trying to provide "expert" answers to every thread and every bino.

Back in March 2021 you were posting that the Meopta Meopro Air 10x42 that you had was the bomb - better than the 10x42 Trinovids, Conquest HD's and Monarch HG's. But 6months earlier you were criticizing them for having too narrow FOV and the heavy weight?

You keep touting the 2019 BBR reviews for the GPO but the 2021 is just as glowing for the 1k < category. Have you read the rules to see who tests them and against what?? Here are the experts and selection committee who bestows this prestigious award from the rules page.
  • To have had any chance of winning, I have had to reviewed the instrument on BBR. This obviously means that an award winner has NOT been compared to ALL the binoculars currently on the market, but only to those that I have fully tested. So whilst the pool of contenders is relatively small, you can be assured that the winners have been thoroughly tested and used and not just based on manufacturers specifications or a "thumb-suck" - they truly are in my opinion deserving of an award.
  • Award winners are chosen by myself. There is no panel of experts or users. Thus those that have won are in my opinion the best in that category for this year, not that of anyone else. I guess this is both good and bad, but for now it is just the way it is.

And since you are always citing and referencing Allbino's ratings as the gospel truth to anyone and everyone who will listen, then I guess you would agree that my Alpex Rainier 8x32 that i bought 11 years ago is better than my 8x30 Eii. Thank goodness I have the Nikon EDG II and HG L so my Eii doesn't feel too embarrassed it didn't finish ahead. Oh, and those poor Swaro EL's, Kowa Genesis's, Conquest HD's, Meostars, and Monarch HG's that are just groveling in the dust after not rising to the point level of my mighty Rainiers.:cry::cry:;)

The best thing I learned after reading the BBR reviews was that I much enjoyed the term "thumb suck" to describe a quick review.

I think we are seeing the buildup to the launch of the next Dennis binocular love story, subject likely being the GPO Passion HD.

I have little experience with the Meopta Meopro binoculars, but what I have had is very positive. I have had several weeks of actual side by side time with the Maven B1 and the GPO Passion HD. All three are excellent. The right choice of any of these three, or for that matter any binocular in this general price range will come down to being the best one is the one that fit a particular users hands, eyes, and face. You will see essentially field equal observational image attributes from just about any from this class.

Last edited:
To try and help with the original question, I have not tried Maven, but have stumbled across Meopta recently, the Meostars, and have very quickly become a Meopta fan. The build and view is very much in the alpha territiory.
I would love Leica's Ultravid HD+ in the stable, but just cannot justify it as the Meoptas are so good.
You gotta try 'em yourself, as everyone's opinion differs.
I also love Habichts.... so probably best to ignore me😅😅

To try and help with the original question, I have not tried Maven, but have stumbled across Meopta recently, the Meostars, and have very quickly become a Meopta fan. The build and view is very much in the alpha territiory.
I would love Leica's Ultravid HD+ in the stable, but just cannot justify it as the Meoptas are so good.
You gotta try 'em yourself, as everyone's opinion differs.
I also love Habichts.... so probably best to ignore me😅😅
I am in the same boat. I don't see spending more money when what I am going to get isn't going to be an improvement over the MeoStar B1 Plus binos. I have yet to have someone look through mine and not be impressed, especially when they find out how much they cost! I just got Meopta's MeoStar S2 Spotter with 20-70 eye-piece. I can't wait to get it into the field. Now I just need a good tripod that I can also use for my DSLR.

I guess you could give the Maven a trial run on the demo option, and you could order the Meopta from someone with a lenient return policy - (if you can't try one in person) and see which one suits you best. I am familiar with the Meostar however no experience with the Air.
Good luck.

Dennis: Stop hijacking threads!!! Or better yet post somewhere else!!!!!
My intent was not to hijack the thread, but give raptorbfl what IMO is a better binocular than his two choices at his price point to try for his benefit. Sorry, I suggested the GPO HD if it disrupted the continuity of the thread. If I had to pick between his two choices, I would choose the Maven B1.2 because I think it is brighter and has sharper edges than the Meopro.

Last edited:
My intent was not to hijack the thread, but give raptorbfl what IMO is a better binocular than his two choices at his price point to try for his benefit. Sorry, I suggested the GPO HD if it disrupted the continuity of the thread. If I had to pick between his two choices, I would choose the Maven B1.2 because I think it is brighter and has sharper edges than the Meopro.

Way I see it - is that you expanded the buyers choice - gave them a superior option within their price range. That is to be commended.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back