• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

May Moths (2 Viewers)

Jonny721

Things finally starting to pick up here with 13 moths of 8 species last night including a first for my garden:
Dark Sword Grass
Herald
Early Thorn
Double-striped Pug
Early Grey
Clouded Drab
2 Common Quaker
5 Hebrew Character

Still not much about, but the sky was clear again last night:

Double-striped Pug - 2
Yellow-barred Brindle - 1

Andy.

Have done several traps over the past week or so that really didn't amount to much but last night was better with 33 of 14 species with the one attached eluding my best endevours to put a name to (Twenty Plume Moth, just worked it out, doh)

New for the garden was a Seraphim.

Attachments

• Moth Garden Rochford Standard 004.jpg
    Moth Garden Rochford Standard 004.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
May 5th - My first garden session since last August produced just five moths of five species - three micros not worth mentioning but the other two were both garden firsts - Least Black Arches and Water Carpet.

Steve

May 7th - second time out, another tiny catch but another new one - Chocolate-tip, something I have always wanted to catch. This one has the two central cross lines missing.

Steve

This Dotted Chestnut was a first for the garden back on Tuesday night. Always been high on the wish list, so it was nice to finally catch this scarce moth.

Attachments

• Dotted Chestnut1.jpg
    Dotted Chestnut1.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 32
Still very quiet at the trap, but a pebble prominent was a first for the year this morning.

Attachments

• DSC_0034.JPG
    DSC_0034.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 29
This Caloptilia leucapennella was beaten from a blossoming hedgerow underneath old oaks in Long Ditton, where it has presumably over-wintered. The most interesting moth-related find on the patch this year, and a first for me.

Attachments

• Caloptilia leucapennella.jpg
    Caloptilia leucapennella.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 33
6 moths in the trap this morning. Powdered Quaker (nfm), 2 Cinnabar, Flame Carpet and 2 Common Pug, all new for the year

Couple of confirmations, plus sightings

Went on an organised moth trap in woods at Hengistbury last night - most moths seen at MV light over sheet, with practically none in 5 traps up to 11pm. Low numbers but good variety, inc several new for me (the advantage of being a low-lister!) - Yellow-barred Brindle, Chestnut, Waved Umber, Common Wave, Least Black Arches, Narrow-winged Pug, C Quaker, Water Carpet, Iron Prominent, Early Thorn, Scalloped Hook-tip, Brindled Pug, Small Brindled Beauty, Engrailed and Pebble Hook-tip being full list.

In garden UV trap this morning was a Swallow Prominent (pics below - I'm sure it's not a Lesser but confirmation would be great) plus an odd beast which looks like a withered Angle Shades to my eyes - any ideas please?

Attachments

• IMG_2357crop.jpg
    IMG_2357crop.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2360crop.jpg
    IMG_2360crop.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2363crop.jpg
    IMG_2363crop.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2364crop.jpg
    IMG_2364crop.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 16
Went on an organised moth trap in woods at Hengistbury last night - most moths seen at MV light over sheet, with practically none in 5 traps up to 11pm. Low numbers but good variety, inc several new for me (the advantage of being a low-lister!) - Yellow-barred Brindle, Chestnut, Waved Umber, Common Wave, Least Black Arches, Narrow-winged Pug, C Quaker, Water Carpet, Iron Prominent, Early Thorn, Scalloped Hook-tip, Brindled Pug, Small Brindled Beauty, Engrailed and Pebble Hook-tip being full list.

In garden UV trap this morning was a Swallow Prominent (pics below - I'm sure it's not a Lesser but confirmation would be great) plus an odd beast which looks like a withered Angle Shades to my eyes - any ideas please?

Yes, Swallow Prominent and Angle Shades (has just emerged, so wings still expanding).

Yes, Swallow Prominent and Angle Shades (has just emerged, so wings still expanding).

Cheers Sean - I'd actually seen the oddity on 16th in a bush near the trap and noted it as an emerging Angle Shades then, but thought I might be wrong when it was still at the same stage three days later! However, I guess it could be a different individual; where there's one.... Confirmation of Swallow Prominent also gratefully received.

If they get disturbed or fall onto the ground moths do fail to emerge and expand their wings properly. Once the wings harden they're stuck like that. Even that deformed it's probably still capable of some flight.

Martin

It's kind of good, but kind of bad, to see my trap isn't the only one under-populated at the moment. I was beginning to think it wasn't working right. I hope things pick up soon, I'm helping at a moth event on Saturday!!

Last night in north Warks:

Lesser swallow prom
Lime hawk moth
Rivulet

Adam

On what I thought would be a good night, another disappointing haul.
Poplar hawk (nfy)
Muslin moth
Brimstone.
Regards, Jono

Much better here this morning (comparatively!), Muslin Moth (nfm), Streamer, Shuttle Shaped Dart, Chinese Character, Flame Shoulder, 2 Flame Carpet and 7 Cinnabar

And a bit more quality here in Hampshire last night with

2 Least Black Arches
Peach Blossom - NFG
Pine Beauty - NFG.

Dave W

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back