• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

May Moths (1 Viewer)

Had the following species in the garden MV trap from last night:

Common White Wave
Shears
Oak Hooktip
Vine's Rustic
Peppered Moth
Brimstone
Red Twin-spot Carpet
Oak Hook-tip
Maiden's Blush
Flame-shoulder
Shuttle-shaped Dart
Yellow-barred Brindle
Pine Beauty
Least Black Arches
Brindled Pug
Caloptilia alchimiella

Ran my MV for the first time this year on the 20th May and got 3 moths..Brimstone, Orange Footman and Chocolate tip.

Again on the 22nd..with Just one Hearts and Darts in the trap! and circa 10..mostly assorted Pugs, plus 2 Brimstone and a Birds Wing on the white wall behind the trap.

Then ran the UV on the 23rd (all nights had cloud cover) which resulted in Nowt absolute!

I think we could do with some higher temperatures!

The nights are hardly ideal but I am catching hardly anything.

Last night's haul.......

EP 2
Aphomia sociella 1
Poplar Grey 1

Steve

Still quiet here too; last night in the garden:

Rivulet 1
Spectacle 1
Poplar Hawk Moth 1
Shuttle-shaped Dart 4
Flame Shoulder 1
Knot Grass 1
Tawny Shears 2
Muslin 1
Vine's Rustic 3

Spoke to a couple of moth-ers recently who seem to think last years bad weather has meant very few larvae have survived to emerge this year. That and a cold start to the year makes some sense to me. Hope everything recovers well and starts to pick up again.

Recently in north Warks, we had white-pinion spotted, brimstone and 4 pebble prominent.

Adam

Still dreadful here in East Herts. This morning:
cabbage moth (nfy)
flame shoulder (nfy)
heart and dart (nfy)
brimstone
grey pug

One day it'll be like it used to be in late May i.e. 150 moths of 30+ species.
regards,
Jono

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back