• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Maybe Orchard Oriole out of season - Michigan USA - Audio file (2 Viewers)

Dr. K

Bad Weather Birder
United States
I just saw what looked like an oriole but it was in poor lighting and distant through my budget pocket binoculars. What I got was a warm tone thorax, black face and head with black and light/white wing bar, oriole size and shape (more slender than an American Robin). It was foraging high in the canopy of a residential area where I've seen Baltimore Orioles before, but I've not seen an Orchard Oriole. This is currently well outside the season when either Oriole would normally be present here.

I have a few recordings, one is attached here, Merlin failed to recognize the sound but I did see the bird calling when I was recording it. Other birds you will hear are house sparrows, American robin, Black capped chickadee, and an American goldfinch.

File attached. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 2022-10-28 0810.wav
    1.7 MB
Evening Grosbeak is correct, with that explosive "breer!" call ("House Sparrow on steroids"). I'm surprised you describe it as slimmer than a Robin, given that Evening Grosbeak is typically one of our chunkiest finches. The color description is correct, though.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back