• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Menorca birds in May 2009 (4 Viewers)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
Hi there

I will be going to Spain this year round about May time.

Can anyone suggest what birds to keep an eye out for in the month of May. The area we are going to will be close to a large part of the coast line, as well as having a nature Park closeby.

The Nature Park will take a bit more working out for the reasons for us walking around it. We would like to go for a walk one afternoon and see what is there for us to see.

Any ideas and thoughts will be appreciated

Thanks
Kathy

What part of Menorca are you going to and will you have a hire car? Its an easy area to drive around. Even from the airport.

Son Bou has a large reedbed at the resort so you will see Marsh harriers, Kingfishers, warblers etc. The island is good for raptors such as Egyptian Vulture, Red Kite, Osprey, Booted eagle, loads of Kestrels etc. Check reports for Menorca on this website.

I thought Menorca was far better than I expected it to be,

What part of Menorca are you going to and will you have a hire car? Its an easy area to drive around. Even from the airport.

Son Bou has a large reedbed at the resort so you will see Marsh harriers, Kingfishers, warblers etc. The island is good for raptors such as Egyptian Vulture, Red Kite, Osprey, Booted eagle, loads of Kestrels etc. Check reports for Menorca on this website.

I thought Menorca was far better than I expected it to be,

Hi Wolfbirder

Thank you for your response, and your thoughts, about what birds can be sighted.

A good selection of birds so far for us to watch out for. Interesting to hear about Sou Bou and the Reedbeds - that would offer fantastic views of water birds. I see Sou Bou is on the South end of the island. We are based on the North end of the island.

We are going to stay at Fornells which is quite near to ES MERCADAL for the full time are are there.

We may being using hire cars but not made up our minds about that facility yet. Our holiday will be based on dingy sailing, but with lots of free time inbetween to do as we please too.

We will being staying local to the area of Fornells through our whole stay. That is where our self catering accommodation will be centred around, so the area around Fornells will be our 'birding' patch.

There is also an internet cafe close to where we will be staying, so I can see this site is need be too.

Have you been to Menorca yourself? What did you see?

Last edited:
Hi Wolfbirder

Thank you for your response, and your thoughts, about what birds can be sighted.

A good selection of birds so far for us to watch out for. Interesting to hear about Sou Bou and the Reedbeds - that would offer fantastic views of water birds. I see Sou Bou is on the South end of the island. We are based on the North end of the island.

We are going to atay at Fornells which is quite near to ES MERCADAL for the full time are are there.

We may being using hire cars but not made up our minds about that facility yet. Our holiday will be based on dingy sailing, but with lots of free time inbetween to do as we please too.

We will being staying local to the area of Fornells through our whole stay. That is where our self catering accommodation will be centred around, so the area around Fornells will be our 'birding' patch.

There is also an internet cafe close to where we will be staying, so I can see this site is need be too.

Have you been to Menorca yourself? What did you see?

I went back in October 2003, you can see my report (and others that might highlight Spring reports) by looking at "Vacational Trip Reports" on this website, put "Menorca" in the search box top right of screen, and enter.

You will see I have saved the area you are in until last - but it is the best in my opinion. Fornells I believe has some disused saltpans where Bee-eaters breed (or used to breed). But a mile or two out of Fornells take a right turn towards Cap de Cavilliera and quickly you come to Cala Tirant (I think it also goes under another name too), but anyway it is a pool with waders on, passerines in the scrub, and plenty of raptors in the general area such as Egyptian Vultures, Booted Eagles, Red Kite, Marsh harriers, I also had a hen Harrier and as I drove into Fornells a migrating Montagu's Harrier. The birds I saw may be different to the ones you see of course. My best birds were 3 Alpine Accentors but you wont see them in May. You should however enjoy great views of the mentioned raptors, also waterbirds at Cala Tirant, other birds like Hoopoe, Wodchat Shrike, larks and pipits etc. i don't think you need to go to Son Bou but on the coast north of Cuitedella is a good place for Stone Curlews and small birds.

Get yourself a map of the island, & I suggest considering car hire that is booked in advance (but take both paper and card driving licence) through any reputable company like Sixt / Hertz etc. If you dont want to drive, you can still check out the saltpans at Fornells and maybe get to Cala Tirant and Cap de Caveleira. I am sure bike hire is easy around Fornells.

Hope you have a nice time.

Last edited:
Hi Kathy.

The area around Fornells is good for birds.

The Cavalleria peninsula isn't far away and it's good for stone curlew amongst others. Another good location even closer, just across the headland west of Fornells is Cala tirant. The dunes behind the beach and the roadway south from the west side of the bay are good for tawny pipit, green sandpiper, bee-eater, woodchat shrike, corn bunting, turtle dove, hoopoe, booted eagle, etc.

Nearby the back-roads are good for Egyptian Vulture and red kite, and the roadside wires at dusk have good numbers of barn owl.

The road north west from Es Mercedal passes a water treatment works on the edge of town that is usually worth a look for migrating waders.

There is a chance of osprey at Fornells. Yellow-legged gull, little egret, and Audouins Gull are to be seen in the bay.

A Little further afield at S'Albufera des Grau I've also seen night heron, purple heron and squacco heron along with various waders. The lagoon there also holds good numbers of black-necked grebe.

Kathy
We spent a couple of weeks in Menorca at the beginning of the 00's...2000 or 2001 can't remember when. We were based just south of Citudella on the West of the island and used a hire car to get around the island. At that time the driving was very easy, only one main road running from Citudella to Mahon, all the others run off that. No chance of getting lost.
Son Bou is good for the marsh but be aware that the western end of the beach there is a nudist beach. Don't walk from the marsh to the beach for a stroll back to the car, I did wearing camo and carrying bins and a scope.... you'll get some very funny looks.
We tended to make for a place close to Cala Morell called Algaiarens, there's just a beach by a lovely bay, but I found bee-eaters breeding there, cuckoos also. Osprey were seen on a couple of occasions. Yellow-legged gull were almost daily there. Plus we got good views of egyptian vultures on the ground. The bulk of the warblers could be seen within an easy walk of the beach, fan-tailed, sardinian and cetti's being the stars.
We're going again this year but in September so I'll be posting a trip report then.

I stayed in Calan Forcat a couple of years ago and although not a notable birding area there was still plenty of interesting stuff about. Egyptian Vultures regularly passed over the resort, and walks along the cliffs to the north of the resort saw lots of Blue Rock Thrush and flocks of Stone Curlews. Plenty of Auduins Gulls around the coast as well.

Hi Kathy.

The area around Fornells is good for birds.

The Cavalleria peninsula isn't far away and it's good for stone curlew amongst others. Another good location even closer, just across the headland west of Fornells is Cala tirant. The dunes behind the beach and the roadway south from the west side of the bay are good for tawny pipit, green sandpiper, bee-eater, woodchat shrike, corn bunting, turtle dove, hoopoe, booted eagle, etc.

Nearby the back-roads are good for Egyptian Vulture and red kite, and the roadside wires at dusk have good numbers of barn owl.

The road north west from Es Mercedal passes a water treatment works on the edge of town that is usually worth a look for migrating waders.

There is a chance of osprey at Fornells. Yellow-legged gull, little egret, and Audouins Gull are to be seen in the bay.

A Little further afield at S'Albufera des Grau I've also seen night heron, purple heron and squacco heron along with various waders. The lagoon there also holds good numbers of black-necked grebe.

Hi Barred Warbler

Thank you for your reply. Yes there will be some good species around. The only birds that we can confirm we saw last year where the Woodchat Shrike on one occasion. The Bee-eaters where around but very illusive and difficult to see towards Cala Tirant. We will bring our binoculars this year too.

We must get more adventurous with our birding away from Fornells itself. We need to walk around the nature reservoir itself, and the Walking boots are coming with us too.

Kathy
We spent a couple of weeks in Menorca at the beginning of the 00's...2000 or 2001 can't remember when. We were based just south of Citudella on the West of the island and used a hire car to get around the island. At that time the driving was very easy, only one main road running from Citudella to Mahon, all the others run off that. No chance of getting lost.
Son Bou is good for the marsh but be aware that the western end of the beach there is a nudist beach. Don't walk from the marsh to the beach for a stroll back to the car, I did wearing camo and carrying bins and a scope.... you'll get some very funny looks.
We tended to make for a place close to Cala Morell called Algaiarens, there's just a beach by a lovely bay, but I found bee-eaters breeding there, cuckoos also. Osprey were seen on a couple of occasions. Yellow-legged gull were almost daily there. Plus we got good views of egyptian vultures on the ground. The bulk of the warblers could be seen within an easy walk of the beach, fan-tailed, sardinian and cetti's being the stars.
We're going again this year but in September so I'll be posting a trip report then.

Hi Keith

Thank you for your information, and I will be interested in your report on your return trip in September. Sounds good from what you are saying a the moment.

Last year we we had a lot of bats flying around our heads on our first night, when we sat ourside drinking our wine. This happened next night with the wine and all the chat while Talked to our neighbours in the same block. A good old chin wag about life. We could hear Scoups Owl, or two calling close to our chalet. What a deep creepy call they have.

i understand that there a nature walk around Fornells, and I have not suceeded in getting a map of the nature reserve itself yet. Still working on it and if you have any good books you know we can purchase all the better.

I stayed in Calan Forcat a couple of years ago and although not a notable birding area there was still plenty of interesting stuff about. Egyptian Vultures regularly passed over the resort, and walks along the cliffs to the north of the resort saw lots of Blue Rock Thrush and flocks of Stone Curlews. Plenty of Auduins Gulls around the coast as well.

Hi Steve

Another really interesting tour for yourself. I would love to see what you have mentioned in your answer. I have not heard of Calan Forcat unless it is one of those out of the way places. What time of year did you go?

Where is Calan Forcat in relation to Es Mercadal. We had a pm tour to Es Mercadel one day last uyear and I am sure we will do the same thing this year.

Thank you for your replies everyone I really appreciate everything that has been said here.

If you think of anything else of interest all the better, and I will take on board what advise has been given.

Still would love a map of the nature reserve around Fornells somewhere and somehow. Either it be by website, book or map publication or otherwise.

Last edited:
Menorca -

Hi Kathy,

This is a link to a report I put in the Vacational section after our holiday last year - http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=120205

If you get chance, have a trip to the La Vall area. There are some lovely pine forests, beaches & small freshwater lakes. It's now free to park there.

As you'll from the report there are lots of Bee Eaters & Woodchat Shrikes, amongst others, in that area.

Enjoy your trip.

Richard

Hi Kathy,

This is a link to a report I put in the Vacational section after our holiday last year - http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=120205

If you get chance, have a trip to the La Vall area. There are some lovely pine forests, beaches & small freshwater lakes. It's now free to park there.

As you'll from the report there are lots of Bee Eaters & Woodchat Shrikes, amongst others, in that area.

Enjoy your trip.

Richard

Hi Richard

Thank you for your link about your holiday. I will take on board the places/birds you have mentioned

I read it with interest, and I see that you have seen a Woodchat Shrike too. They like to sit on the utility wires and make their presense know that way. They are stunning birds. We saw one last year on a wire.

We will be dingy sailing for 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon, (everyday, and spend the rest of the time we are free to do as we please.

Last year we heard an Scoop Owl calling close to our chalets for most nights. We hope to hear it again this year.
We where also surrounded by flying bats on the first night we where there.

Hope to see more interesting birds this year as well as the Bee-eaters. Only heard them last year. We will make sure we are organised this time.

The other website link mentioned on the same thread is really usefull too. :t:

Will write report when I get back too, and we will try to get used to our new camera too!

Thank you

Kathy
x

Thank you I will enjoy my holiday anyday. :t:

Hi everyone

Got back form the holiday and have a great report to write and pictures to download when I get the knack of downloading jpegs rather than img files types.

I saw about 50 species in all and I will list them for the time being for your attention. I alos have a pictures of 6 of these mentioned birds so that makes the report what it is.

Auduins Gulls
Yellow Legged gull
Black Winged Stilts
Kentish Plovers
Ringed Plovers
Booted Eagles
Woodchat Shrike
Spotted Flycatcher
Corn Bunting
Golden Orcles
Nightingale
Osprey
Hoopoe
Cormarant
Shag
Great Tit (no other Tits seen at all)
Little Egrets
House Martins
Swifts
Scops Owl
Cory Shearwater
Stonechat
Red Kites
Collared Doves
Turtle Doves
House Sparrow
Swallow
Kestrel
Great Crested Grebe
Little Grebe
Mallards
Raven
Curlew Sandpiper
Dunlin
Grey Heron
Egytian Vulture
Bee-eaters
Blackbird
Goldfinch
Greenfinch
Fan Tailed Warbler
Cettis Warbler
Sardian Warbler (sp)
Water Rail
Storm Petrel
Shelduck

We also went for a mornings birding with a local Ornitholgist, and learned such a lot from him. He took us around the National Park at S'Albufera, the Salt Pans at Cala Tirant, and also to see the colony of numerous Bee-Eaters at Cala Tirant

Kathy
x

Last edited:
We also went for a mornings birding with a local Ornitholgist, and learned such a lot from him. He took us around the National Park at S'Albufera, the Salt Pans at Cala Tirant, and also to see the colony of numerous Bee-Eaters at Cala Tirant

Kathy
x

Hi Kathy,

Glad you had a good holiday on what is my favourite island!! Would appreciate his contact details for future trips to Menorca.

Cheers,

Richard

Hi everyone

I have been having problems with my router since last Saturday, since I got back from my holiday (not working, then working, then not working .... :eek!:).

I finally have got it replaced this morning, so will answer shortly)

Yes, and that Bird report will be completed. I have part of it done already so that will be posted prompto. :t:

Regards
Kathy

hi there

Back as normal once more. Router was replaced yesterday thank goodness!!

Richard: I will PM details of the local Birder to my area of 'Parc de S’Albufera Des Grau' at Menorca.

Keith: Thank you.

I am trying to nake a decision how to break the report up in into manageable chunks so there are a few areas to talk about.

Anyway part one her we go :-O:t:

Report on bird Watching at Parc de S’Albufera Des Grau/Cala Tirant on the 19th May 20

Hi there

Part 1 of 2

This a part of my report on a mornings Bird Watching at Parc de S’Albufera Des Grau, Menorca

The owners of the Sailing group arranged for us with a full mornings birding out with an experienced Ornithologist/Bird Ringer at Parc de S’Albufera Des Grau. We where looking forward to visiting one of the well known main National Parks on the East side of the island. It is a well known, and ideal for all the
spring migratory birds that it holds the moment.

This meant an early start for us and we where up at 6am this particular morning. It was a quiet mystical morning, and lots of low lying mist congregated across the bay. Many calls from shore birds and waders penitrated from the south side of the bay far in the distance. The bay is well stocked with fish and crabs of all types. Lots of splashing from many areas of the shore, as the tiny fish moved around in their allocated groups.

The boats moored on the bay clanged, and clattered together, their bodywork together with the slight ‘softly’ spoken wind. The boats tied to the pontoon sloshed together in the misty wake. A dog barks in the distance, and the noise echos for miles over the water. A loud ‘Haw oo’ call comes from a Yellow Legged Gull flying overhead. A haunting sound early in the morning, and the gull itself flew almost motionless in the air, looking down at all the activity below.

A Blackbird sings from a nearby tree and it made me think of England. I never saw the bird in question. He disappears, when I opened the door, and walk onto the chalet porch area. The same Blackbird carries on singing in another tree close-by. A lovely clear fluty call for first thing in the morning. It was super to hear with the lovely sparkling watery backdrop to look over. The sun had just risen in lots of yellow, golds, and oranges. It was going to be a beautiful day for us. We took the opportunity of taking some pictures of the sky as it changed its huge, and the daylight brightened up. It was going to be another warm day.
The time moved forward, and 8.30am struck. Our ‘tour’ guide arrived in a vehicle, and we where picked up. We past by our Sailing ‘tutor’, and waved at him. I told him about our bird trip so he was made aware of our plans. Just one of those things. Bird watching was on our agenda, as well as sailing/racing Laser 2000 boats.

We where taken straight to 'Parc de S’Albufera Des Grau’,with high hopes and expectations as to what we would see bird-wise. We drove along the scorched countryside, low lying bushes, and trees. The heat was starting to build up even for the early hour in the morning. Lots of water, sun-cream, and juice was needed for the journey and we made sure we had plenty with us. A trip of about 5 miles brought us to our destination. What a super area full of lakes, and lagoons of all shapes and sizes. I was told that the area had half fresh and half salt water so ideal for all bird life. The area brought in an influx of birds from all over the world, including the UK

We got out of the vehicle. The first thing we noticed was the large numbers of Painted Lady Butterflies flying about in all directions, over our heads and close to us as we started to walk. The flowering plants where alive with all their activity. The area had low sturdy scrub trees, and this gave us a better prospective of the area we where looking at, and what we would see. We where going to have a good morning out. It is the best time of day to see birds, as the heat would take over and all the wildlife went underground to cooler areas. Birds prefer to store energy through hot times of the day in Menorca and who can blame them

Then there was the sounds of crickets hiding in the tall grass, rushes, and vegetation. Then a few ‘Purrs’ started. There where a good number of Turtle Doves communicating with one another while they remained well hidden in the greenery. Then one made an appearance on top of a nearby tree and started to preen itself. Lots more calls continued through our trip. Lovely looking birds and it was good to have seen one, to add to that all important list of birds.

We moved on and as we reached a new section of path. The paths where were rugged and very stony underfoot. The heat made the going quite rugged, and slippery, so we where glad to have sturdy shoes. Then we could hear a Fan Tailed Warbler singing at the top of its voice while it remained well hidden from view. Then another one sang in response to the first bird. We stopped and looked in the bush line, and saw same birds starting moving up and down through the undergrowth. We only got a glimpse but it was a look that is the main thing. So we did see the birds in question moving about but as only a glimpse and blink of the eye. They where so fast as they moved about in their over active way.

Now, I was beginning to see that this area was Warbler heaven, as 3 species of the birds made their presence known to us for our full walk. Two Sardinian Warblers started to call, and they where a pair by the way they remained close to one another in the same bush. They liked to remain well hidden in the middle area of the bush, and made it hard to see them except through the binocular lens. They were more active than the Fan Tailed Warblers. They would not stay still at all. They moved form one bush to another continually singing to one another.

Then another Warbler made an appearance and, and joins in the chorus of birds. It was a Cetti’s Warbler, and it did its usual thing, and that was to remain invisible to us as they like too. Not the easiest birds to see at all anytime – like the ones in the UK. They are dark horses, and are illusive birds to all and sundry who want to have a chance to see them.

So now there was a chorus of three types of Warblers all trying to out sing each other, The Fan Tailed Warbler, Sardinian Warbler and Cetti’s Warbler. We wondered which bird sounded the loudest of all. Then in addition to the Warblers, along came the first song from the nearby Nightingale. What a fabulous singer. Of all the songsters this bird has one of the most spectacular singing voices ever to listen too. The song is rich, deep, clear, echoing, and tropical and very loud!. The bird remained invisible to our eyes. And the added problem with its well matched coloration did not help matters for a sighting at all.
The heat was starting to rise, and the day was going to get hotter for walking about. The stony path was slippery so we had to be careful where we place our feet. Lots of stopping, starting and listening went on between us, and we spoke in quiet voices to discuss all the birds that where around.

Then a large Brimstone butterfly flew past, and landed on a flower. We where lucky to take of a photo of it, and it sat there for us though it was doing a type of film pose. Lots of Painted Ladies Butterflies flew about in all direction, and a small Blue Butterfly flew quietly past not stopping for anyone. Not sure which Blue Butterfly it was. but Holly Blue came to mind, due to its size and colour.

We stop at a large part of the bay, and the water sparkles for a long way off into the sunlight. It was more of a grandstand view of the birds below. A sound of ‘cuckoo’ from a lone Cuckoo resounded over the area. We stopped to listen and notice which direction it was coming from. Our attention caught for a second with the Cuckoo. We start to talk, and we could see lots of Coots, and Mallards swimming about making their calls as they do in the UK. We all know how squabbly Coots are, and where we stood was no exception with these birds behaviour, all noise and more noise. We are told ducks are rare in this part of the world compared with the UK. Mallards and Red Crested Pochard are the most familiar ones that are known on Menorca. We centre our attention towards inland, and, yet, more purring from the bushes nearby. The Turtle Doves sang in unison as they like to as a group.

We move on, and then we could hear a Water Rail in the watery wetlands, and glimpsed it briefly moving behind some trees, and reeds, before it disappears once more into the undergrowth. Then we are taken to another aerial view of the same watery ‘bay’ area from another slightly different angle. This time it had lots of Mallards, Great Crested Grebes and Little Grebes.

We continue through some dense growth, and up to an old disused white building hiding in the trees. A Gecko is seen climbing the whitewashed wall, and we are told that only one Lizard breeds in Menorca, (not be confused with Geckos). We could see an ‘added’ Owls box placed on the wall.

As we are talking a Nightingale bursts into song in the tree next to us. Still hard to see the bird in question, but we still live in hope. A Large white butterfly draws our attention away from the Gecko, and the Nightingale. The Nightingale is a mission to avoid our camera. He flutters on down the trackway, and disappears somewhere into the shadows.

In the nearby tree a pair of Dragonflies appear and we looked at them. They sit on the branches right above our heads, and the local name for the type is a Libelula and Dragones. The sexes are Blue and Brown and look so different to one another to the point we though it was two different species.

We walk back the way we come, and we could hear a Hoopoe in the distance, and the stoney paths became more rugged to walk along. It was hard going in some places with the heat and the loose stones underfoot. There was a blistering heat now, and the sun was scorching us as we moved along.
A Swallow swooped close to us, and made its sweet call for a minute and it disappeared once more, swooping and cascading as it does. We are told that Flamingo's made an appearance on the Saltpans in Menorca in the wintertime – now that would be a sight to see any day.

I noticed that there is a lot of beautiful flowering plants/butterflies around the area of a walk. I will keep this for another thread in the correct area of the Forum. We bought a Menorca book about flowers so that is my reference to what species that we saw. By the way the species looked different in the National Park than to anywhere else. Must be because the unique plants are left undisturbed by people. So it means that this area would be a great area for insects to flourish.

We stopped to look over another area of Waterways, and Lagoons, and, yes it is a bird haven for wintering birds. Quiet as it was, but we where told we would have to come in winter time to see what it is really like for wild fowl. The view was once more high up and it gave us a chance to see over the Lagoons form a birds eye view of the current occupants.

Report on bird Watching at Parc de S’Albufera Des Grau/Cala Tirant on the 19th May 09

Bird watching in Menorca Part 2 of 2

Many Kentish Plovers, and Ringed Plovers sat around the old dividing lagoon walls, and looked although they where resting in the morning heat.

A Mallard passes with a row of 8 or so ducklings in a processonary line. Lots of shadows shimmering on the water of passing birds, splashes and their non-stop activities. The presence of the ducklings made it clear that Mallards are all year visitors to Menorca. A male Greenfinch sings from the nearest tree, so another bird from back home. Some species made it home from home in the bird department.

We could see a lone Kestrel flying in the thermals in the distance. He calls and moves at quite a speed. Some calls where heard and the bird disappeared behind one of the smaller more angled hills. The sounds of the birds calls echoes from all quarters. The bird reappears and continues on its journey over and behind the next mountain.
We could see lots of activity from Dragonflies and Damselflies as they flew around the waterways. We could see that the Dragonflies varied in size in lot and some of them where really big and easy to see and others more slight and delicate.
A Woodchat Shrike makes an appearance while we continued our walk, and moves on elsewhere. Another area of wetland and we could see a Little Egret. The Little Egret moves quietly from on place to another not making up its mind where it wants to be.
We now reach a bird hide, and there is a Lizard sitting on the boardwalk watching us and them he disappears in a shot. We are told that the Lagoons are half salt and half fresh water so that makes it interesting for the birds in question.

A lot of migrating birds appear in winter for a temporary wintering ground. Ducks are high on the agenda for making their presence known in winter time. Menorcan winters are like UK summers so there is quite a difference in climate.
More Brimstone Butterflies of all types move about as well as a couple of darker ones. Some are too fast for us to see, and others not quiet enough for a photo.

Looking back inland and more Warblers begin a new chorus together. It is interesting to hear all of the Warbler species singing at one time. A deep call from above and there where 3 Ravens flying overhead. They are caught up in the Thermals, and fly slowly past us although they where watching us.

We noticed the calls from Great Tits, and it was strange to be informed that they are not too usual in Menorca, as we know then in the UK. The Great Tits are not shy at all and like for you to see them. We are told that the male and female Great Tits have different thickness of their black banding down their chest areas. Never knew that at all.

I ask about the Skylarks in Menorca and they only appear in the winter time in Menorca. The Thelka Skylark is well known.
We then see Mustard Yellow Dragonflies flying about. Never seen that colouration at all. Another Kestrel makes an appearance, and we are told that there are 2 types of Kestrels in Menorca the Kestrel (normal sized) and the Little Kestrel. The Little Kestrel lives in other parts of Spain.
The things that we find out about species and yes there are a lot of species of all wildlife only unique to Menorca like the Green Lizard (one only) so it is interesting to know.

We made our way back to the car park and we drove to the visitor Centre briefly and then we where taken to see the Saltpans at Addila, close to Tiren. On our way we had a great view of a Red Kite and 2 Kestrels sitting on utility lines along with another Woodchat Shrike or two.
Lots of Corn Bunting’s making their presence known form every bush that they could sit in. They are a common bird to the area and they are quite easy to see due to the fact they like to sit on top of bushes and on utility telegraph poles. They looked like oversized Siskens if that was a word to describe them in any way.

Addaia Saltpans close to Cala Tirant.

We past by fields of Black Horses, foals and Friesian Cows. There seemed to be a history of breeding certain livestock as the horses and cattle – much was placed of keeping these traditions alive. The fields where luscious green despite of the dry heat, as it was the right time of year. In summer all greenery goes brown and brittle but we will not see that occuring as we will be back home in the UK

On our way to the saltpans we could see that the road was not designed for cars and more for wagons. Lots of pot holes, and it gave a feeling we where going for a safari in the bush land as that is how wild it felt.
We could see another Red Kite, and a Booted Eagle flying in close proximity in the shadow of the mountain nearby. The Booted Eagle does look like a Buzzard in flight, and is the size of a Buzzard to but it is the smallest Eagle known. Yet, another Woodchat Strike flies by our vehicle as we move on. We stop to have a good look at the BoP as they circle about their patch watching and looking around for food and territory.

After a very bumpy 20 minute, we arrives at the Addila Saltpans. The first thing we notice is the numbers of Black Winged Stilts moving around the area. Some where nesting on an island in the middle of the water. So good to see that. We managed to get one or two good pictures of the Stilts in question. As it was private land we could not leave the vehicle, and we had to respect that.

The Black Winged Stilts looked different to look at, and the birds are grey and brown depending on what sex the bird is. I thought the different colours might have related to the immature birds but that is another thing which I did not know about. What a lot to learn about the bird world.
The Saltpans where covered with a lot of slime yellow/green algae growing on the surface of the water making the water odd very odd indeed. The algae is seem as a food source so that is a good thing for the birds.

Another Raven past by and cawed deeply as he did, and he disappeared very quickly. We looked to the other side of the Lagoon to see a Little Egret quite close to us and as we tried to take a picture it flew off – another gets away. A Grey Heron is standing hunched up in the corner but decides to move on when we arrive art close quarters. Camera shy birds are difficult to photo indeed. The Saltpans flow of water remained still, and the water dead.

We move on to see the Bee-eaters at Cala Tirant, and on our way we where lucky to see an Egytian Eagle flying about in the thermals. It was high up but we saw one and that made our day. We arrive at the Bee-eater colony and they where everywhere we could see in their dozens. They where beautiful to see, and the colours of the birds was vivid as they sat on the fences in little group as they did. Now that is what I call a lot of bird watching.

We where taken back to Ses Selines and that finished our trip out and we got back about 1.30pm in the afternoon. We decided not to sail in the afternoon at all and relax/chill out instead. Chill out and sleep for the rest of the day.

Pictures will follow!

Regards

Kathy

Last edited:
Pictures which where taken on the day.

Picture 1 - Lagoons
Picture 2 - Black winged stilt taken at Addila Saltpans.
Picture 3 - Same area
Picture 4 - Bee-eater
Picture 5 - Little Egret

more to come yet....

Attachments

• Lagoons.JPG
    Lagoons.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 120
  • Black Winged Stilt 19-05-2009 11-27-54.JPG
    Black Winged Stilt 19-05-2009 11-27-54.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 133
  • Black winged Stilt1 19-05-2009 11-20-35.JPG
    Black winged Stilt1 19-05-2009 11-20-35.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 117
  • Beeester 19-05-2009 12-10-35.JPG
    Beeester 19-05-2009 12-10-35.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 139
  • Little Egret 15-05-2009 15-10-43.JPG
    Little Egret 15-05-2009 15-10-43.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 121
hi there

Before any more information is placed on this thread, these are the books which where used as references to bird species we spotted in the area.

The first book is one that is specialised to the area we stayed in. The second gave an insight into what bird lived where, when, in what appropriate area.

The third book was used by the Ornithologist on our guided tour of 'Parc de S’Albufera Des Grau'. We bought the same book, and the book we have is in Spanish (could not find British one), but I can work from the Latin names.

The first and thrird books are must haves for the area of Fornells and 'Parc de S’Albufera Des Grau'

The books where very useful to help work out species of birds. It has opened a whole new world now, and we want to go back and will learn a whole lot more yet.

Attachments

• Menorca1.JPG
    Menorca1.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 159
  • Menorca2.JPG
    Menorca2.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 123
  • Menorca3.JPG
    Menorca3.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Hi Richard

Before I go any further, Richard, I have read your thread about your trip. It is very interesting what you have said about your trip, and what you have mentioned in your 2008 holiday report.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=120205

Wow, you have been 5 times, you must love it and there is a lot to love about Menorca.

The species you have mentioned are very similar to the ones which we spotted on the our May 2009 trip.

Seeing a Great Grey Shrike - I am envious of you. We where lucky to see Woodchat Shrikes on 3 occasions in different places. One sighting was close to our chalet on the beach area. There was a male and female sitting along beside each other on a wire fence. You could distinguish the differences between the male and the female bird very easily (I wish we had our camera at the time but it was bad luck we had not) :-C

Black Kites is another one we would have loved to have seen. We did see Red Kites as confirmed by our Ornithologist guide.

The Ravens where amazing, as well as there size, their call was undescribable. What a deep throated, vibrating 'Caw' they could muster. One bird you cannot forget.

The Audouins Gulls, we where lucky to see 2 times and each time the bird was sitting on a rock, and was all it was doing. This gull is one of the most attractive I have ever seen and is very rare on the island.

The Yellow Legged Gulls are becoming notorious for stealing food, and searching amongst human garbage so it is getting quite unpopular with the local people.
One of my sailing group said that a Yellow Legged Gull stole her ham joint from her plate on the balconey. Cheeky monkey. :eek!::eek!:

As for the BoP's they are in adundance form where we stayed. We where told that there was a local Osprey, which we never saw at all. Then there where the Booted Eagles, Red Kites, and Egytian Vultures around to see.
Not to mention the Kestrels we saw more than once. We where lucky to see a pair sitting on a utility line at one stage.

May is fine weather wise, and it is still not too hot, the land lucious and green. When June, July and August arrives the heat becomes unbearable and everything green crisps to a dowdy brown. So not so good if you are not a sun seeker.

Thank you for pointing out your trip here, and it is interesting to compare notes about species. :t::t::t:

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back