• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta Monopod - would you really use it with binoculars, and how? (1 Viewer)

Guizotia

I know the Meopta's are generally heavier than most of their competitors, but does that really warrant the use of the Meopta Monopod? (I am interested in the 7x42, 7x50 or 8x56 for the long eye relief)

I also cannot work out how it is supposed to be used from the photo. It looks like a walking stick with a short V shape on the top, do you rest an elbow on it?

Last edited:
Now that is a funny photo. The hunter is lining up the birder and the birder wants to know where he can get one of those snazzy vests!

Now that is a funny photo. The hunter is lining up the birder and the birder wants to know where he can get one of those snazzy vests!

Clearly, the shooter was aiming at the Scope, which is gone in the 3rd picture!:smoke: For his next act he will shoot a cigarette out of the young man's lips!:king:
Bob

Last edited:
I did not look at the picture and judging by the responses I think I am glad I didn't.

;)

As for the three bins you mentioned, I have had the 7x42s. At 30 oz I do not find them overly heavy. I had the 8x42s around my neck today for an extended period of time. Granted I had a heavy vest on and was using a rather thick Neoprene neckstrap but I did not have any neckstrain because of their weight.

...and I found the Whitewinged Crossbills I was looking for. ;)

For a 7x it's probably not worth it (though you get more detail out of any "stable" bin compared to it being handheld).

Finnsticks and the like are particular popular in Finland (strangely enough) and the rest of Northern Europe. Particularly for stabilizing higher power (say 10x) bins for looking at distant targets. And for looking at elevated targets: the trick is to have a belt that the stick hooks into. There are photos on the forum). For this sort of use they can certainly be a win: more stable than handheld bins but easier to follow moving targets (like raptors).

Kevin,

Most users here in Finland do not attach the stick to a belt but just hold it freely. Also, although stability is improved somewhat by the use of a stick, the main advantage by far is dramatically reduced strain on your hands in prolonged viewing, such as migration-watching. Holding a stick with your hands roughly at waist-height is something one can do literally for hours, while holding a binocular in the normal way with your hands up in front of your face will start burning your arms much sooner than you wish. Lactic acid buildup in your arms also rapidly induces shakes that are not there when you start.

One of the earlier "best practices" here before the sticks became almost ubiquitous was to use the hard leather case most porroprism binoculars of yore came with as a platform to rest the binos on. This way you could keep your hands at chest height, which already helped quite a bit, but the system was rather tippy especially when viewing up or down.

In woodland birding, where one aims, looks briefly, puts binoculars down and walks some more, a finnstick is much less useful and can actually be a hindrance.

Kimmo

Well, this all sounds very familiar. A few years ago I did a writeup about the "FISMO," — you know, it sounds like gizmo but means FInn Stick MOnopod. http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=27844&highlight=fismo And Meopta didn't even mention they picked up the idea on BF. :-C

Anyway, the Meopta model only extends to 59", which is a bit short for stand up viewing at eye level, at least for me. So, it might be worth looking for a longer shooting stick, if they are still available. Mine extends all the way to 72". Nowadays, my knees demand that I have a walking stick at all times, so the FISMO has become a necessity. I would add that if extended long enough the stick can be allowed to fall naturally to one's shoulder when both hands are occupied with the binocular.

Ed

I have a Stoney Point Polecat Monopod. The head is a standard thread for attachment of about anything you can attach a tripod. I have the V style head, but you can get a walking cane head, a round wooden knob, or their binocular rest, a T shaped affair you can rest both barrels on. It extends to 62'", wish it went to 72'. I don't need that much, but 68" would be nice. Looks just like the Meopta.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back