• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meostar (Euro HD) ergonomics (1 Viewer)

Brink

So I compared 3 different ‘HD’ x42s at Cabela’s recently: Euro, Conquest, and Trinovid. Optically I preferred the Euro to the others, and thought that it was the only one that may be preferable to my MHG. But it was way too heavy. So when the x32 models went on closeout last week I jumped on a 8x32 Euro HD.

Pros: Great color, contrast, glare control, and perceived sharpness. Wide FOV with a pleasing amount of pincushion and large sweet spot. The view was very similar to the MHG, but with better CA control and slightly dimmer.

Cons: the eyecups are tiny, and I couldn’t find a way to comfortably look through these (no glasses). The focus wheel was stiff and a bit gritty and felt slow. I really don’t like that the diopter doesn’t turn with the focus wheel as well. They are very dense and actually few heavier in the hand than my MHG x42 despite being a bit lighter.

I returned these, despite wanting to like them. I considered 3D printing an eyecup attachment to make these work, but thought better of it since I have a perfectly good MHG. My nitpicks with these were all very minor except for the eyecups, which were the dealbreaker.

So I compared 3 different ‘HD’ x42s at Cabela’s recently: Euro, Conquest, and Trinovid. Optically I preferred the Euro to the others, and thought that it was the only one that may be preferable to my MHG. But it was way too heavy. So when the x32 models went on closeout last week I jumped on a 8x32 Euro HD.

Pros: Great color, contrast, glare control, and perceived sharpness. Wide FOV with a pleasing amount of pincushion and large sweet spot. The view was very similar to the MHG, but with better CA control and slightly dimmer.

Cons: the eyecups are tiny, and I couldn’t find a way to comfortably look through these (no glasses). The focus wheel was stiff and a bit gritty and felt slow. I really don’t like that the diopter doesn’t turn with the focus wheel as well. They are very dense and actually few heavier in the hand than my MHG x42 despite being a bit lighter.

I returned these, despite wanting to like them. I considered 3D printing an eyecup attachment to make these work, but thought better of it since I have a perfectly good MHG. My nitpicks with these were all very minor except for the eyecups, which were the dealbreaker.
Hi … How would you describe the Euro overall build quality compared to the other two ? …. Thanks

It is built like a tank. It’s weight and density stood out compared to the others in the store, though they were all nice. The locking central diopter gives it a more high end feel than the others, but I don’t like that it is stationary. I wouldn’t have reservations about the build quality of any of the aforementioned.

You fold the eyecups all the way in and rest the binoculars on your eyebrows and tilt your chin to get perfect eye relief. I had the 8x32s and no one can beat them under $1000 category.

You fold the eyecups all the way in and rest the binoculars on your eyebrows and tilt your chin to get perfect eye relief. I had the 8x32s and no one can beat them under $1000 category.
I figured I could either adapt the way I hold them or make an attachment, but there is just no way they were going to beat the Nikons. The Nikons offer a very similar view, maybe slightly inferior on image quality, but are way ahead ergonomically.

That being said, if these work for you ergonomically I think they are a no brainer. I bet if I wore glasses I’d keep them.

... I jumped on a 8x32 Euro HD.

Reading your original post I was amazed, I could have written those words myself one by one, because I concur with each and every detail you pointed out in the "cons" category. I hold the Meostar range in high regard, they offer quite a lot for a reasonable price (have had 8x32, 7x50 and 8x56 over the years). However, lovely and sharp as the view is, as a non glass wearer the eyecups of the 8x32 were just too small. Also felt the same about the focus wheel and even had the same feeling about their weight (or the sense thereof).

It's a common complaint, eye cup size on the 32mm Meostars. Definitely understandable!

I have had a Meostar 10x42HD for almost 6 years now. It's definitely chunky due to them using an aluminum chassis instead of magnesium. However it has been a reliable companion and has never left me wanting. I don't have a whole stable of binos and I don't buy and sell. I just have a pocket 8x20 Swarovski for taking with me everywhere and my Meostars for serious birding. They get lots of use and have never let me down.

I had the Euro HD 8x32 years ago and really liked the ergonomics. 21-22 ounces in such a compact binocular is noticed;
it did feel quite heavy for its size. I liked the view, design and handling a lot. However, the usable ER wasn't quite enough with the
thick framed glasses I had back then. I do remember the focuser being stiff which I did not like. However, I loved the diopter.
It was super easy to set and I liked that it had increments or stops to choose from; that made it easy to choose the right setting IMO.
It was my favorite diopter of the bins I've owned.

I remember liking the view, but can't recall much else about it. If it's similar to the Nikon HG 8x30 I'll take the HG since it's much lighter and also has great ergonomics. The focuser is smooth, easy to turn and moderately quick. The Meostar seems to be built better though.

Just remembered, the Euro HD 8x32 had a touch yellow to the image and this may be why the image appears similar to Nikon Monarch HG which also has a slight yellowish bias; slightly warm image overall.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back