• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Merlin or peregrine falcon? -Troy, NY, USA (2 Viewers)

viceroy11

United States
Today I saw a falcon harassing a red-tailed hawk sitting on top of a church, and I am unsure if it was a peregrine or merlin. I only got a brief look but the falcon had a clear mustache, a solid bluish/grey back, a white/brownish underside, and appeared to be essentially the exact same size as a crow (crows were also harassing the hawk). From my brief first impression it seemed to have horizontal bars on its underside, although this was only a quick glimpse. I know it will be impossible to get a definite answer on the ID but what is more likely for the area? Troy is very urban but I was in one of the few small parks - although the falcon came in from the city and flew right back into the city after. Here is a link to a video I took, although you can't make out any detail from it:

Your video says it's private, and won't play. It seems that the size comparison you made was a meaningful one, and that then decides the ID of your falcon (assuming it was a falcon) - peregrine.

Your video says it's private, and won't play. It seems that the size comparison you made was a meaningful one, and that then decides the ID of your falcon (assuming it was a falcon) - peregrine.
Sorry, video should be public now. Thanks for the help, I was hesitant to ID it on size, but I don't have much else to go off

Video plays now. Assuming the bird on the roof is a red-tailed hawk, and the bird mobbing it is your problem bird, then its size seems OK for peregrine and wrong for merlin - though I can't actually identify either bird in the video.

Video plays now. Assuming the bird on the roof is a red-tailed hawk, and the bird mobbing it is your problem bird, then its size seems OK for peregrine and wrong for merlin - though I can't actually identify either bird in the video.
Yes, I am 100% certain that the bird on the roof is a red-tailed

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back