• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Peregrines called "hawks" in a book (5 Viewers)

I like this book a lot even though Baker is imperfect as a writer. Reading The Peregrine, you can tell it was his first book and he had no experience. Sometimes his style is over the top, and there are many repetitions. But it doesn't matter, the book is beautiful. Its honesty and courage are rare in literature.
Hi!

You think his writing is imperfect? Are you referring to his skill? I guess at the end of the day it´s a matter of taste. What I do know is that I´ve never read a book like that. It left a deep impression on me in any case.

"A green woodpecker called and flew high above the open fields. A jay flew from tree to tree, crossing warily between the two woods; the first I had seen away from cover since October. Long-tailed tits flitted down from the hedges to collect feathers for their nests from kills the peregrine had made. These birds knew, as I knew, that the last peregrine had left the valley. They possessed the freedom I had lost."

The last sentence in this April 3 entry seems out of place, doesn't it? That is the last line of that day.

The freedom of birds - do you think Baker talks about their new freedom in the absense of the hunter? Or just the abstact freedom of flight?

"The freedom I had lost" - what exactly does he mean, really? This sounds so romantic and imprecise, whereas normally, even though his phrasing may be vague, the feeling beyond it is clear and strong.

I certainly may be misunderstanding something!

Hi!

I think he´s referring to a metaphysical non-human freedom; a freedom that only creatures are able to possses, that lack the ability of human thought (and therefore also lack the capability of having a concept of freedom or anything at all). But that´s just my vague interpretation. I never thought of your interpretations, they´re quite obvious! Never thought about those...

Fabian

@Schneppe I have asked about this particular sentence because it is a strong statement very close to the ending of the book. To me this line is striking because:

A. It is unprepared. The entry of that day is a long one and there's nothing about the human or animal freedom in it.

B. To me, Baker is a poet of the concrete. Even when he mentions Christian concepts of liberation (my pagan spirit will delve in the cold soil and thus purify), he is in no way a romantic. Perhaps, it was because he understoof pain very well and was writing in the face of very obvious illness.

Well, if he's got an illness hanging over him, he could well be directly comparing himself to the birds who are free. Their Peregrine is his illness.

(Strictly speaking, the birds wouldn't know the Peregrine had left the valley for the season. Their behaviour wouldn't change - they'd always be on edge and wary of predators)

"A green woodpecker called and flew high above the open fields. A jay flew from tree to tree, crossing warily between the two woods; the first I had seen away from cover since October. Long-tailed tits flitted down from the hedges to collect feathers for their nests from kills the peregrine had made. These birds knew, as I knew, that the last peregrine had left the valley. They possessed the freedom I had lost."

The last sentence in this April 3 entry seems out of place, doesn't it? That is the last line of that day.

The freedom of birds - do you think Baker talks about their new freedom in the absense of the hunter? Or just the abstact freedom of flight?

"The freedom I had lost" - what exactly does he mean, really? This sounds so romantic and imprecise, whereas normally, even though his phrasing may be vague, the feeling beyond it is clear and strong.

I certainly may be misunderstanding something!
I think he means that the absence of the peregrine meant freedom for the birds to fly in the open and go about their business without constantly hiding from the falcon. But by contrast, the author had lost something rather than gained something by the falcon's absence

These birds knew, as I knew, that the last peregrine had left the valley. They possessed the freedom I had lost."

Throughout the book the author increasingly identifies himself with the peregrine. He may mean here that his freedom is lost because no falcons are around anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back