• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Migrants see magnetic fields (1 Viewer)

"Thought this was interesting:"

Jason, he seems to be trying to reinforce his theories from the 1998 paper which he did on "Clock and compass strategy" which was slightly criticised by "Thorup et all" in 2000. I note that this "Animal behaviour" project he is working on at present is running to 2006. So the comment in the media relating to the near future publication may only be in relation to certain aspects of the ongoing scientific research.

Regards

Malky.

For some 1998 theory and 2000 reply see :-
http://www1.elsevier.com/homepage/sap/AnimalBehaviourForum/1455a.pdf

Last edited:
Sounds interesting but when I stand back and think about it it seems a bizzarre concept. I prefer to believe they use Zhunghrue (spelt right?) and navigate by the stars. Isn't that a reason we see grounded migrants longer when it is cloudy?

I think the wisdom is that there's not only one migration strategy. Rather birds use a combination of things. I remember reading a snippet in the New Scientist about 20 years ago to the effect that American researchers had found that Bobolink have minute iron particles in their brains. The suggestion was that these helped them orientate with respect to the earth's magnetic field.

That brings more sense to the theory. Another aspect to consider is human evolution, we have evolved into different creeds each having different qualities. It might be too controversial to suggest some human examples but I can see the same thing happening for birds with some birds utilising the magnetic field while others go for other forms.

We may wonder how and why and which
And what birds use..a magic switch?
For they and only they will know..
what makes them such long distance go.

Enough of wonder 'tis to me..
to know they fly oer land and sea..
So why need you to wonder why.
what makes these creatures of the sky
fly so long and fly so high..
just praise them when they pass on by..

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back