• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mistle or Song thrush (1 Viewer)

Derbyfella

Was watching an individual thrush on the field opposite - or so i thought...

Please could you take a look - sorry its a bit blurryP1030330.JPG

Is the slightly rufous cast above the legs an indicative feature - making these song thrushes?

also any pointers to get better shots is a bonus! hand held Lumix dcfz82at full zoom (x60) but on the auto setting

any pointers to get better shots
It's the messy background that causes difficulty for the camera to find a sharp outline on the birds, so is unable to lock the focus. It actually seems to have focused on the darker lines beyond the birds.

I don't know your camera at all, but as you use Automode, is there a Landscape setting? My camera has one which is easily gettable (a quick turn of the dial). This sometimes works, especially if you don't zoom in too much (but then you need a lot of pixels in order to crop the image afterwards).

Also, greyish back and lots of tiny, irregular dots, plus jizz (example below). I've also had the problem of my camera focusing on the wrong parts--you can sometimes adjust the focus by hand using Manual setting (that's its name, I think): it won't be supersharp but can well be better than Auto. Or, if you feel you're really bad at it, why don't you switch to bins only, taking field notes or sound recording. Not everybody has to take photos the likes of which we can see in the Gallery.

The below was taken with a DMC-FZ50 (if you really want to know ;)). My current profile picture of a(n unusually cooperative) Blackbird is much better because it was phonescoped using the bins.

Attachments

• 540775351.jpg
    540775351.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
  • 20230215_162254.jpg
    20230215_162254.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
  • phone pic of a Song Thrush for comparison.jpg
    phone pic of a Song Thrush for comparison.jpg
    826.1 KB · Views: 27
  • phone pic of a Song Thrush for comparison (2).jpg
    phone pic of a Song Thrush for comparison (2).jpg
    850.3 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Hoorah - at last somebody (other than me) notes this key (and obvious) feature 🏅
Which isn't actually visible in the original photo....(so unsurprisingly wouldn't be mentioned when discussing the birds in the photo) :unsure:

Last edited:
I generally always use bins and scope…., but I do want to catch phoTos of things especially when I can, ie when at home..
No need to worry--after all, they're noticeably better than some other photos in this thread. :)

EDIT: When it comes to features, my favourite one is that Song Thrush seems to lack spotting between its legs, whereas Mistle Thrush is marked all over its belly (also the shape and distribution of the spots when seen up close).

...isn't visible to you - apparently. It is to me and (presumably) to 011etc. Which is why we mentioned it in discussing the birds in the photo.
Similar colour to (some of) the earth in the field on my PC screen - though there is hardly any of the 'actual' back visible in the photos, given the angle of the birds in the photo. While Mistle Thrushes can have grey backs, not all of them do - most of those around here tend to be more brown than grey - so it will only be a 'key' feature for those greyish backed birds and not every single Mistle Thrush (I've included both brown and grey backed birds in photos below). Granted, Song Thrushes tend not to have greyish backs, so if the bird does have a grey-ish back then it is more likely to be a Mistle Thrush.

Attachments

• 47074643782_767b0ebf25_c.jpg
    47074643782_767b0ebf25_c.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 39
  • 33251663908_8f56566c27_k.jpg
    33251663908_8f56566c27_k.jpg
    352.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 16679827274_89035a27e6_k.jpg
    16679827274_89035a27e6_k.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 15469288883_07527c729f_k.jpg
    15469288883_07527c729f_k.jpg
    513.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 7426961890_6184e6deb0_k.jpg
    7426961890_6184e6deb0_k.jpg
    518.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 51744659130_4ce54ea3ae_k.jpg
    51744659130_4ce54ea3ae_k.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 34
That field is rather sandy and yellowish.
I find the upperparts are visible.
None of your photos conflict with 'my' feature.
Consider incorrect coloured balance in photos.

That field is rather sandy and yellowish.
I find the upperparts are visible.
None of your photos conflict with 'my' feature.
Consider incorrect coloured balance in photos.
Not seeing anything 'yellowish' about the field. You obviously can, but what one person (whether that be you, or me) perceives as yellow-ish may differ from everyone else's perception of 'yellow-ish'.

Upperparts - yes, mostly the rather brown looking wings. 'Back' not so much.

I didn't say they did. They are posted to show that there can be variation in tones on Mistle Thrush backs from more of a brown to more of a grey. Overall I actually agree with you that Mistle Thrush will tend to look greyer than Song Thrush (almost) ever will, as I've also pointed out previously - Mistle Thrush or Song Thrush? Seen on Walthamstow Marshes, London, UK).

Considered. They look as I'd expect photos of Mistle Thrush, photographed in a variety of lighting conditions, to look.

Enjoy your evening.

Similar colour to (some of) the earth in the field on my PC screen - though there is hardly any of the 'actual' back visible in the photos, given the angle of the birds in the photo. While Mistle Thrushes can have grey backs, not all of them do - most of those around here tend to be more brown than grey - so it will only be a 'key' feature for those greyish backed birds and not every single Mistle Thrush (I've included both brown and grey backed birds in photos below). Granted, Song Thrushes tend not to have greyish backs, so if the bird does have a grey-ish back then it is more likely to be a Mistle Thrush.
Third pic looks better for a song thrush.

Third pic looks better for a song thrush.
You're not wrong. User error, on my part. I saved a few photos from my Flickr Mistle Thrush album into my downloads album (where there were already countless other photos including that one) and then selected from the small thumbnail view what I thought were the same photos to upload here.....and never noticed that one shouldn't have been there. D'oh!

EDIT: Just double-checked and it is in my Song Thrush album on Flickr and on the blog-post linked from there as a Song Thrush, so I did actually know it was a Song Thrush.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back