• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trinovid vs. Noctivid (& NL Pure) (1 Viewer)

Dear all,
I am in the process of choosing a new binocular as an upgrade/ extension to my current Nikon Monarch 8×30.
Torn between the Noctivid and the NL Pure, the optimum would be to try out both. However, living in Northern Sweden, trying out (expensive) binoculars is a bit of a hassle. A friend of mine sold his Noctivid for a NL Pure, due to difficulties with the eye relief and resulting blackouts. I tried the 8×32 of a different friend and while I liked the overall image and build quality, I had significant problems with eye positioning and blackouts.
How does the eye relief, eye positioning etc. compare between different Leica glasses and between the Trinovid and Noctivid specifically?

Best wishes and a happy new year,
Severin

Dear all,
I am in the process of choosing a new binocular as an upgrade/ extension to my current Nikon Monarch 8×30.
Torn between the Noctivid and the NL Pure, the optimum would be to try out both. However, living in Northern Sweden, trying out (expensive) binoculars is a bit of a hassle. A friend of mine sold his Noctivid for a NL Pure, due to difficulties with the eye relief and resulting blackouts. I tried the 8×32 of a different friend and while I liked the overall image and build quality, I had significant problems with eye positioning and blackouts.
How does the eye relief, eye positioning etc. compare between different Leica glasses and between the Trinovid and Noctivid specifically?

Best wishes and a happy new year,
Severin
I can only speak to the Leicas, having never owned Swaro.
The Trinovids have narrower FOV and ER. Easy to align, 'traditional' view, superb build and IQ tho I did find some CA. The UV are a notable step up in pretty much every way, and I had no issues with black-outs etc. with either of my UV's. The NV are better yet again and at first I had a little bit of trouble with blackouts. I then accepted that the ER - even wearing glasses - was huge (19mm IIRC?) and I needed to pull the eyecups out one click. That was new for me but I can see full field and never have issues with alignment etc.
Is each one worth the extra $$? Only the user can answer that. I was out using my 8x42NV yesterday and thinking how unbelievably sharp and crisp they are. For comparison, I own/use FL's, SFL's, MHG as well.

FWIW- the MHG 8x30's are often cited as a bino with difficult eye placement, so I suspect things won't get any worse with the 8x32's. One difference will be heavier weight, they are quite a bit heavier than the 16-ounce 8x30 MHG.

one way to increase eye placement comfort is to go with larger aperture, I might consider some of the lighter options like 8x42 MHG's or 8x40 Zeiss SFL, these are only slightly heavier than something like the NL 8x32

I can only speak to the Leicas, having never owned Swaro.
The Trinovids have narrower FOV and ER. Easy to align, 'traditional' view, superb build and IQ tho I did find some CA. The UV are a notable step up in pretty much every way, and I had no issues with black-outs etc. with either of my UV's. The NV are better yet again and at first I had a little bit of trouble with blackouts. I then accepted that the ER - even wearing glasses - was huge (19mm IIRC?) and I needed to pull the eyecups out one click. That was new for me but I can see full field and never have issues with alignment etc.
Is each one worth the extra $$? Only the user can answer that. I was out using my 8x42NV yesterday and thinking how unbelievably sharp and crisp they are. For comparison, I own/use FL's, SFL's, MHG as well.
Thank you for the detailed answer. Maybe I have to postpone the purchasing decision indefinitely until I have the opportunity to test the binoculars in question. I was worried about eye placement in the Noctivid, knowing that my friend sold his due to this issue and testing the Trinovid.

FWIW- the MHG 8x30's are often cited as a bino with difficult eye placement, so I suspect things won't get any worse with the 8x32's. One difference will be heavier weight, they are quite a bit heavier than the 16-ounce 8x30 MHG.

one way to increase eye placement comfort is to go with larger aperture, I might consider some of the lighter options like 8x42 MHG's or 8x40 Zeiss SFL, these are only slightly heavier than something like the NL 8x32
Curious. I never really had any issues with the MHG 8×30 but struggled noticeably with the 8×32 Trinovid. Maybe I am so used to the MHGs, that the transition as such resulted in weird eye placement? While testing my friend's 10×32 NL Pure I faced no issues whatsoever though.

Thank you for the detailed answer. Maybe I have to postpone the purchasing decision indefinitely until I have the opportunity to test the binoculars in question. I was worried about eye placement in the Noctivid, knowing that my friend sold his due to this issue and testing the Trinovid.
Never go by what someone else says about what eye relief works or doesn’t work for them, especially when discussing binoculars with ample eye relief.

Some people can be more sensitive to a specific eyepiece design. Exit pupal size between 8x32 & 8 x42 can also effect comfort for some. Facial characteristics is another consideration. Most of the top of the line alphas have excellent eye relief, so it comes down to trying them out and making sure you have the IPD and eyecups adjusted adequately.

I have all the ones being discussed and each one needs to be adjusted well and you get used to them.

Good luck.
Paul

Never go by what someone else says about what eye relief works or doesn’t work for them, especially when discussing binoculars with ample eye relief.

Some people can be more sensitive to a specific eyepiece design. Exit pupal size between 8x32 & 8 x42 can also effect comfort for some. Facial characteristics is another consideration. Most of the top of the line alphas have excellent eye relief, so it comes down to trying them out and making sure you have the IPD and eyecups adjusted adequately.

I have all the ones being discussed and each one needs to be adjusted well and you get used to them.

Good luck.
Paul
Thank you Paul! Maybe I just didn't spend enough time with the Trinovid to find the sweetspot for my face and viewing habits.

I use both NL 12 and Noctivid 10. Whereas I bougth the NL especially for open field situations I use them a lot. However, in low light conditions in morning and evening counts, especially in winter, I use the Noctivid. Still I prefer the Noctivid in very bright light conditions When birding in the bush, I take the lower magnification of the 10 but one could buy an NL 10 as well.
What I like in the NL: ergonomics and field of view. What I like in the Noctivid: image quality (despite a small spectrum in which chromatic abberation may be appalling, however, being thát restricted, this might have been a choice in engineering) and controlling different light conditions, ease of use plastic eyecups and coating make it much easier to clean sensitively. Field of view in the NL is that brilliant, I will have to be humble using the other pair.

Last edited:
It's too personal.... you cannot make decisions on how a binocular works for someone else.

It's why we all buy different ones.
Try the second hand route, if its hard to test them somewhere near you, then you can always move them on, or keep them, or change to new ones when you've made your decision.
Buying very expensive optics new 'hoping' they work for you can be a risky and fairly expensive new hobby !!!

So I'd try to find a mail order retailer that has a good return policy and go that route.

42mm binoculars are generally less likely to have eye relief/eye positioning issues.

IF IT WERE ME and I was going to buy a binocular without trying it there are a few that seem to have less issues for ER/placement.

Swarovski EL 8.5X42 and 10X42
Leica Ultravid HD+ 42mms

There's never a sure thing when it comes to a successful binocular/user interface but those seem to be as close to a guarantee as is possible. I tend to get along well with the majority of binoculars with a few outliers.

I use both NL 12 and Noctivid 10. Whereas I bougth the NL especially for open field situations I use them a lot. However, in low light conditions in morning and evening counts, especially in winter, I use the Noctivid. Still I prefer the Noctivid in very bright light conditions When birding in the bush, I take the lower magnification of the 10 but one could buy an NL 10 as well.
What I like in the NL: ergonomics and field of view. What I like in the Noctivid: image quality (despite a small spectrum in which chromatic abberation may be appalling, however, being thát restricted, this might have been a choice in engineering) and controlling different light conditions, ease of use plastic eyecups and coating make it much easier to clean sensitively. Field of view in the NL is that brilliant, I will have to be humble using the other pair.
The Noctivid's bright light advantage is an interesting point. I read about the NLs glaring issues so I guess this is what you are referring to. Definitely a good point to keep in mind but hard to test before buying.

It's too personal.... you cannot make decisions on how a binocular works for someone else.

It's why we all buy different ones.
Try the second hand route, if its hard to test them somewhere near you, then you can always move them on, or keep them, or change to new ones when you've made your decision.
Buying very expensive optics new 'hoping' they work for you can be a risky and fairly expensive new hobby !!!
Good point! While I lack experience in buying used binos, I guess a lack of electronical parts, and the average user characteristics will make for a relatively safe used purchasing decision.

Good point! While I lack experience in buying used binos, I guess a lack of electronical parts, and the average user characteristics will make for a relatively safe used purchasing decision.
I would go warranted 2nd hand from a dealer.
They will have been checked, and have a small warranty to give you peace of mind.
Personally I would try and avoid ebay.... always a bit of a gamble.
There are a good few optics shops here in UK that send abroad.
Look at Ace optics
Focalpoint optics
Southwest optics
I'm sure there are others.

There are good sellers on eBay, ace advertise on there along with quite a few professional sellers, do your homework and it'll be fine, can always return if description is not accurate.

Naturbutiken has a wide selection of bino's, a 30 day return option and with Klarna you can even order with a closed wallet sort of speak. Order, test, return within 14 days and no payment at all. That's what I would do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back