• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Montrose Basin and the surrounding area (2 Viewers)

The old salt pans to the right of the centre, viewed from the Bank of Scotland hide, one of the nearby cottages has taken the name too, it's old Montrose at work.

A walk around the village fields , even on a dull and cool day, full of wildlife, Yellowhammer, Dunnock, Sedge Warbler, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Skylark, Pheasant all seen and heard, sadly very little sign of House Martin or Swallow and the Swifts don't look to have stayed in the village. Since some semi derelict barns were demolished on the edge of the village Hirundines are scarce these days, there are some over the river along with Sand Martins, but in lower numbers.

Montrose Basin at the Lurgies, went early, high tide, Little Egret and Great White Egret, 1 of each, Curlew, Common Sandpiper, Redshank, Black Headed Gull, Mute Swan, Dabchick, Linnet, Goldfinch, Yellowhammer, Skylark. Tree Sparrow. Sedge Warbler, Carrion Crow, Mallard, Eider, Red Breasted Merganser, very few Sand Martins or Swallows and House Martins, no Swifts.

7 Swifts racing over our roof screaming, we had a pair earlier, can they have had 5 youngsters, great news as we thought they had left the village.

3 Magpies on the edge of our village, once very rare, now getting more common, I wonder why Angus had so few 10 years ago?
Persecution by gamekeepers and farmers in the main (most likely). There may have been other factors too, but none immediately spring to mind.

Persecution by gamekeepers and farmers in the main (most likely). There may have been other factors too, but none immediately spring to mind.
In the Glens I would expect that, but I'm on the coast and there are no gamekeepers round here, talking to villagers, they don't remember seeing any in their childhoods either, most odd. I remember recording one to the ADBC 15 years ago or more and it caused quite a commotion at the time, seen them in Dundee, Forfar and Aberdeen, but not in the countryside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back