• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More etymological challenges (1 Viewer)

James Jobling

England
Thanks to the knowledge of BirdForum readers and, especially, the dedication and hard work of Björn Bergenholtz, the list of names on my wanted list has shrunk to just three pages (see Eponymical challenges 4/12/13; Etymological challenges 5/12/13; HBW Alive 31/5/14 (#1, #11, #21); Eponyms in German journals 3/9/14; Eponyms and other names in North American journals 5/10/14; Eponyms and other names in South American journals 5/10/14; and numerous related threads in this Subforum). Björn has encouraged me to seek further help from BirdForum readers, so I attach an eclectic list of goodies, in the hope that some of our aficionados can provide enlightenment. All original descriptions, new, valuable or corrective information will be gladly acknowledged on HBWAlive Key.

Annotationes Ornithologiae Orientalis. Tokyo.
1927 Cinclus pallasii itooi Momiyama, 1, p. 54
1927 Turdus eunomus ni Momiyama, 1, p. 141
1928 Falcipennis falcipennis muratai Momiyama, 1, p. 234
Archivum Zoologicum. Budapest.
1909 Oedicnemus csongor Madarasz, 1 (2), p. 11
Atti della Reale Accademia delle Scienze. Torino [Turin]
1878 Hermotimia cornelia Salvadori, 13, p. 319
Beiträge zur Gattungssystematik der Vögel
1949 Carduelis mozambica magdalenae Wolters, p. 13
Bulletin of the Biogeographical Society of Japan. Tokyo.
1941 Dicaeum isag Hachisuka, 11 (1), p. 1
1942 Conopoderas luscinia hivae Yamashina, 12, p. 81
1944 Goura scheepmakeri wadai Yamashina, 14 (1), p. 1
Bulletin of the Stoneham Museum. Kitale, Kenya Colony. Nairobi.
1933 Chalcomitra senegalensis erythrinae Stoneham, 14, p. 3
Cimbebasia: Journal of the State Museum, Windhoek.
1964 Pterocles burchelli delabati Winterbottom, 9, pp. 1+
Contributions from the Institute for Regional Exploration. Ann Arbor, Mich.
1954 Suthora poliotis patriciae Koelz, 1, p. 2
1954 Alseonax muttui khosrovi Koelz, 1, p. 14
1954 Dicrurus macrocercus tsipi Koelz, 1, p. 15
1954 Aethopyga gouldiae melittae Koelz, 1, p. 21
Dobutsugaku Zasshi. Tokyo.
1923 Troglodytes troglodytes mosukei Momiyama, 35, p. 402
1923 Cisticola cisticola djadja Momiyama, 35, p. 408
1923 Emberiza cioides tamemoto Momiyama, 35, p. 412 (?spelling tametomo)
1940 Turdus aureus miharagokko Momiyama, 52, p. 462
Natural and Applied Science Bulletin. University of the Philippines. Manila.
1976 Phapitreron amethystina imeldae de la Paz, 28 (1), pp. 1+
Novedades Cientificas. Contribuciones Ocasionales del Museo de Historia Natural La Salle. Caracas.
1952 Formicarius rufipectus lasallei Aveledo & Gines, Zool., 6, pp. 1+
1952 Myiobius villosus schaeferi Aveledo & Pons, 7, p. 15
Terres Australes et Antarctiques Françaises. Paris.
1971 Sterna virgata mercuri Voisin, 54, p. 47

This is on Hathi, but accessible from the US only. The OD (p. 11) says:
Ich beabsichtige bei dieser Gelegenheit nur die Beschreibung dieser neuen Art zu geben, welche ich dem Gründer des Ungarischen Zoologischen Laboratoriums und der Zeitschrift: "Archivum Zoologicum" zu Ehren: Oedicnemus csongor benenne.
But, who the founder of the Hungarian Zoological Laboratory and of the journal Archivum Zoologicum was, I do not know.

Last edited:
●Cimbebasia: Journal of the State Museum, Windhoek.
1964 Pterocles burchelli delabati Winterbottom, 9, pp. 1+
Have not found OD but this says named for "Mr. Bernabe de la Bat Chief Game Warden of Game Dept of South West Africa now Namibia"
http://www.mocavo.com/Annals-of-the...ober-1992-February-1993-Volume-102/577816/427 .
Results of the Percy FitzPatrick Institute-Windhoek State Museum joint ornithological expeditions: report on the birds of Game Reserve no. 2

Last edited:
●Atti della Reale Accademia delle Scienze. Torino [Turin]
1878 Hermotimia cornelia Salvadori, 13, p. 319 .
Here but must have deja vu player?
http://emeroteca.braidense.it/beic_...&CodScheda=000R&IDT=17&IDV=139&IDF=0&IDA=5360 .
It has no dedication or explanation as far as I can see.
Sp. 10. Hermotimia cornelia, nov. sp.​
Hermotimia H. aspasiae (LESS.) similis, sed major et gutture maris SEMPER nitidissime violaceo.
Nigro-velutina, pileo splendide aureo-viridi; gutture pulcher rime violaceo; tectricibus alarum minoribus, scapularibus, uropygio et supracaudalibus splendide viridibus, vix cyanescentibus; tectricibus alarum majoribus nigro-velutinis, anterioribus tantum subtiliter viridi limbatis; rectricibus nigro chalybeis, exterius viridi-marginatis, rostro pedibusque nigris.
Foem. Foeminae
H. aspasiae simillima, sed major.
Capite et collo cinereis, collo antico pallidiore; dorso viridi-olivaceo, pectore et abdomine flavo-virescentibus; alis fuscis, olivaceo-marginatis; rectricibus nigris, exterius virescenti limbatis; rectricibus extimis apice cineraceo.

[Table with measurements]​
Il BRUIJN ha inviato dodici individui di questa nuova specie, otto maschi adulti in abito perfetto (Ni 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 90, 91, 107), simili in tutto fra loro, tre femmine adulte (Ni 92, 94, 95) pure simili fra loro, ed un maschio in abito imperfetto (N° 89); questo somiglia ai maschi adulti, ma ha qualche piuma olivastra sul dorso,
e qualcuna giallognola sull'addome, residui dell'abito giovanile.
Io ho paragonati tutti questi individui con molti altri delle specie affini, e particolarmente dell'H. aspasiae e dell'H. mysoriensis, e non dubito che essi siano da riferire ad una specie distinta, la quale appartiene al gruppo di quelle col sopraccoda, groppone, scapolari e piccole e medie cuopritrici delle ali di color verde splendente; essa somiglia tanto alla H. aspasia, quanto alla H. mysoriensis. Differisce dalla prima specie per le dimensioni notevolmente maggiori e per la parte anteriore del collo costantemente violetto e non di colore variabile dal bleu d'acciaio al violetto, come nell'H. aspasia.
La nuova specie somiglia all'H. mysoriensis pel colore costantemente violetto della parte anteriore del collo, ma ne differisce per le dimensioni un poco maggiori, pel colore verde più dorato del pileo, e pel colore verde splendente più puro, e non volgente all'azzurro, delle piccole e medie cuopritrici delle ali, delle scapolari, del groppone e del sopraccoda.
L'H. cornelia e la H. salvadori (SHELLEY) sono le due specie più grandi del genere.
Probabilmente questa specie è esclusiva dell'Isola D'Urville.
(Note that, in classical Latin, "cornelia" is also an adjective which makes reference to someone named "Cornelius", the -a ending being then due to gender agreement. Thus, in theory at least, this name could also honour a man.)

I'm unclear how Hermotimia corinna Salvadori, described in the same volume (p. 530-534), is linked to the sister of the Italian ethnograph, explorator and collector Lamberto Loria...? (The taxon is based on observations by Shelley [in Sclater 1877], and 13 specimens sent to Salvadori by Sclater, who had received them "dal BROWN". It also seems too early for Loria, who was only 23 in 1878 and, if I'm understanding the Italian Wikipedia correctly, was then established in Pisa, still frequenting high school and university.)

----

PS - Are problems with .djvu files widespread/general nowadays?
(I know I can't really expect people to be able to open a .ps, despite the standard document viewer in Linux handles these without any problems, hence I avoid using them for communication with others. I've no idea how Windows [or Mac] users would succeed with a .djvu. SORA used to offer a choice between .pdf and .djvu in the past, but they discontinued the latter at some point, not sure why... But presumably few users downloaded files in this format.)

Last edited:
Oedicnemus csongor

Based on Laurents input I searched with Hazai Zoologiai Laboratorium and csongor and I am pretty sure it is Csongor Györgynével see here and e.g. he is the author of Monographie critique des especes du genre Leontodon dans les Bassins Carpathiques which we can find here.

Think this gentleman is not possible as he is born after description of Oedicnemus csongor.

Last edited:
Phapitreron amethystina imeldae

I am pretty sure that Phapitreron amethystina imeldae is dedicated to Imelda Marcos, first lady of the Republic of the Philippines. See the preview of Google books (not snipets) attached.

Attachments

• Imelda Marcos.JPG
    Imelda Marcos.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 79
Hermotimia cornelia

In "Audubon to Xántus: The Lives of Those Commemorated in North American Bird Names" page 176 might be the solution to cornelia. There is written:

On 30. June 1866 Frederico Craveri (1815-1890) married Elisa Tarabiono whom he had met while visiting friends in Ivrea. Well educated and widely read, she was the author of many poems, some of which she had published. She was only half the age of Frederico, but was deeply devoted to him and supportive in every way until she died giving him birth to a stillborn son, on 20 September 1870. In 1866, the year of his marriage, a daughter, Cornelia, was born to Craveri, but Elisa was not the mother. Craveri did not officially adopt Cornelia until 1884, although she was by then staying with him at Bra. His only child, she later became Cornelia Salvadori and died in 1952.

Maybe more in...

Carlo Ettore Arrigoni degli Oddi: Cenni sulla Vita e sulle Opere di Tommaso Salvadori; Rivista Ital. di Ornit. VI, 1924, p. 65 - 105.

Last edited:
●Terres Australes et Antarctiques Françaises. Paris.
1971 Sterna virgata mercuri Voisin, 54, p. 47

Claire and Jean-Francois Voisin both still work regularly in MNHN (Claire on the type of birds), so easy to ask them this question. Sure they help.

1954 Aethopyga gouldiae melittae Koelz, 1, p. 21 .
I have not found this journal, but the University of Michigan types uses a different subspecies name. Aethopyga gouldiae trochiloidea Koelz, Contrib. Inst. Regional Expl., 1, p. 21, 24 September 1954 .
http://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/handle/2027.42/56418/MP174.pdf . This document lists the other two taxa but does not say much.
"...the serial, Contributions from the Institute for Regional Exploration, was established, published, and presumably edited by Professor Harley H. Bartlett of the University of
Michigan Department of Botany. Number 1, the only issue published, contains three articles, all by Walter N. Koelz: I. New birds from Iran,
Afghanistan, and India, pp. 1-32; 11. A new subspecies of Red-bellied Woodpecker from 'Texas, p. 32; and 111. On the validity of Galerida malaharica
propinqua Koclz, p. 33. It was printed by Edwards Brothers, Inc. of Ann Arbor, Michigan, and dated September 1954. A few copies are available
from the Bird Division, Museum of Zoology, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, U.S.A." The type of A. gouldiae melittae is not at Michigan Univ. but at AMNH.
http://www.zoonomen.net/cit/RI/SP/Aego/aego00132a.jpg .

Last edited:
Laurent said: Shelly in Sclater "dal Brown".
Sclater, P. L. On the Birds collected by Mr. George Brown, C.M.Z.S,, on the Duke-of York Island and on the adjacent parts of New Ireland and New Britain.

Last edited:
The elusive Mr. Csongor!

Whithout having found the OD (and not knowing a single word in Hungarian) I do think we´re searching for a certain: Pete Csongor!

See link here (or the two attached jpg's, from the same pdf). Also (if you understand the language) see this link; here, top of p.138, Pete Csongor in some way (apparently) connected to the Hungarian zoologist, entomologist Csíki Ernő, the latter also published his texts in Archivum Zoologicum. Or here!?

Who this Pete Csongor was? I haven´t got a clue!

Björn
---

Attachments

• Pete Csongor I .jpg
    Pete Csongor I .jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Pete Csongor II.jpg
    Pete Csongor II.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 70
1928 Falcipennis falcipennis muratai Momiyama, 1, p. 234 .
Looking at the snippets of Google Book. This subspecific name is given in honour of the late Mr. S. Murata, Assistant Curator of the College Museum in Sapporo, Agricultural College, Hokkaido Imperial University. In this publication but not listed by Mr. Jobling here the Willow Grouse subspecies okadai "This is named in honour of Mr. Yoshikazu Okada, investigator of the Alpine plants and ornith-oecology of high regions in Japan."

Last edited:
1952 Formicarius rufipectus lasallei Aveledo & Gines, Zool., 6, pp. 1+ .
The article title is Cuatro aves nuevas y dos extensiones de distribución para Venezuela, de Perijá. The authors full names, Ramon Aveledo Hostos and Hermano Gines.

Thanks for all this new info and pointers; much appreciated. Re csongor I am researching Csongor Pete (in the Hungarian journals surnames come first, so Pete Csongor is, in English nomenclature, Csongor Pete).

Of couse Björn is correct. And he seems to be in the year 1908 the founder of the first hungarian vinyl record company called "Első Magyar Hanglemezgyár" what I found here, but also in english language here.

Last edited:
Carduelis mozambica magdalenae

Just for all the analysis from Hans Edmund Wolters Carduelis mozambica magdalenae. Unfortunatelly not much help. I assume Magdalena might be a relative to Wolters. No obituary I found on him e.g. here or here or others on his life e.g here or here or here mentioned that he was married.

FYI he thanked Prof. Dr. E. Stresemann in Berlin, Dr. A. v. Jordans in Bonn, Dr. H. Schouteden in Tervueren, Dr. v. Boetticher in Coburg, Dr. E. Mayr in New York, J. Delacour in New York in the book.

If someone consider Heugelin he was accompanied by three ladies Alexandrina Petronella Francina Tinné and her mother Henriette Luise Marie Tinné née van Capellen and Hadriane von Capellen. See here. But non of them named Magdalena.

Attachments

• wolters.jpg
    wolters.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back