• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More etymological challenges (2 Viewers)

Could be the same guy as here is mentioned:

006585 OKADA,YOSHIKAZU Desmids from the Sinsiru Island in the Middle Kuriles. JOURNAL OF IMPERIAL FISHERIES INSTITUTE 33(2):107-121

=> Indicating a ichthyologist

But as well just a guess.

On the same page:
– OKADA,YOSHIKAZU. 1932. The Freshwater Algae of Botel Tobago Island or Ko^to^sho, Formosa. BULLETIN OF BIOGEOGRAPHICAL SOCIETY OF JAPAN 3 (1): pp. 36-63.
– OKADA,YOSHIKAZU. 1934. The Desmid-flora of the Northern Kurile Islands. JOURNAL OF IMPERIAL FISHERIES INSTITUTE 30 (3): pp. 123-199.
And the one you pointed out:
– OKADA,YOSHIKAZU. 1939. Desmids from the Sinsiru Island in the Middle Kuriles. JOURNAL OF IMPERIAL FISHERIES INSTITUTE 33(2): pp. 107-121.

Thereby I assume there was an Marine researcher by the name of "OKADA,YOSHIKAZU" [even if not necessarily an ichtyologist, judged by the titles of those three articles, [he certainly could have been], as Desmids are also algae, in the Order Desmidiales] ... but I´m far from convinced that he had anything to do with the Vidua hybrid.

Also compare with the two Okada's, Shigefumi and Yaichiro, mentioned here.

Anyone got any cleverer by the links in Post No. 40?

Sorry to be of no further help. Japanese is certainly not my stronger side!

It feels like I´m just messing it all up. But some claims certainly seems erroneous.
---

Last edited:
Contributions from the Institute for Regional Exploration. Ann Arbor, Mich.
The Univ of Michigan Museum of Zoology are sending me a copy of Contributions. As soon as I see it I could scan the four names. They mentioned :
We are currently working on a grant which will highlight his expeditions, and image a number of his specimens. The web site is
http://sites.lsa.umich.edu/biomuseums-nsfproject/
Perhaps the images could provide a clue as to the names?

Mark, while we impatiently wait for those "Contributions from the Institute for Regional Exploration …" I will take the opportunity to add some small info regarding Koelz's partner (mentioned in the text of Koelz, in the NSF-CSBR Joint Museums Project link you forwarded) commemorated in the eponym rupchandi, today explained in the HBWAlive Key as:
rupchandi
Thakur Rup Chand or Surja Dawa (fl. 1954) Tibetan collector, companion of US botanist Dr Walter Koelz (Laurent Raty in litt.) (Hirundapus, syn. Saxicola caprata bicolor, syn. Tickellia hodgsoni).
= the Indian plant explorer Thakur RUP CHAND (1902–1994), from Lahul (Lahoul), Himachal Pradesh, India – collector (mostly of plants and seeds), interpreter and assistant (though also an able scientist in his own right), who worked closely with Walter Koelz for over 30 years. Posthumously awarded the Kholi Memorial Gold Medal, by the Himalayan Plant association.

See, for example, the following links; here, here and here. There are many more! The latter link includes a photo of Koelz together with Mr. Rup Chand. Also attached.

In Tibet he apparently was known as "Surja Dawa", according to Koelz himself (see Laurent's quote of Koelz in the earlier thread Eponyms and other names in North American journals, Post No. #11 – here). However also consider and compare with the "Noro Surja Dawa" in HBWAlive Key entry for dawae. Also in Bird names India, here. Which surely (!?) would leads to the conclusion: dawae = "Noro Surja Dawa", Tibetan name for the Indian plant explorer Thakur Rup Chand (1902–1994). Or?

Cheers!

Björn

PS. In any case; Mr. Koelz himself [i.e. Walter (Norman) Koelz (1895–1989), here and here], was apparently far more than only a "botanist". He is also, for example, commemorated in the subspecies Sitta castanea koelzi VAURIE 1950.

Not everybody get their Obituary published in Sports illustrated!
---

Attachments

• Dr Walter Koelz and Thakur Rup Chand.jpg
    Dr Walter Koelz and Thakur Rup Chand.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Mr. Rup Chand

Meanwhile, here´s some more additional info of the Indian collector Thakur Rup Chand (1902–1994), here and here, commemorated in the scientific names rupchandi and dawae (see Post No. # 44).

Enjoy!

●Contributions from the Institute for Regional Exploration. Ann Arbor, Mich.
1954 Suthora poliotis patriciae Koelz, 1, p. 2
1954 Alseonax muttui khosrovi Koelz, 1, p. 14
1954 Dicrurus macrocercus tsipi Koelz, 1, p. 15
1954 Aethopyga gouldiae melittae Koelz, 1, p. 21
The journal has arrived. See attached PDF.
S. poliotis patriciae... Named for my friend Mrs. Charles Vaurie. Koelz co-authored 4 papers with Charles Vaurie in 1950 and 1951.
http://tcn.amnh.org/updates/femaleentomologistpatriciavaurie1909-1982 .
The other three names are not clear where they came from. He does say that Dr Bartlett botanist from U. Michigan "helped with the newly coined names." Tsip is Hebrew for sparrow? Khosrov was a Parthian prince? Melanitta makes devices to make coffee. Coffee was a vital component of scientific endevour in 1954. Now its all designer water and MDMA or bath salts.
PS.
Thanks to the U. of Michigan Museum of Zoology. They plan on scanning this document and hosting that on their website soon.

Attachments

• img06162015_0001.pdf
    38.1 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
... Melanitta makes devices to make coffee. Coffee was a vital component of scientific endevour in 1954.
Melitta (not Melanitta) still makes coffee ... and coffee filters (actually in Swedish Melitta is synonymous with coffee filters!).

And here´s some more Thakur Rup Chand additions (earlier mentioned in Post No. 47 and 44) …

Walter Koelz apparently (according to Storer 1988, here) also described a Partridge by the name "Arborophila atrogularis rupchandi" (p.7) [syn. A. atrogularis BLYTH 1849], a Tragopan "Tragopan blythii rupchandi" (p.9) [syn. T. b. blythii JERDON 1870], a Scops-Owl "Otus spilocephalus rupchandi" (p.14) [syn. O. s. spilocephalus BLYTH 1846), a Frogmouth "Batrachostomus hodgsoni rupchandi" (p.15) [syn. B. h. hodgsoni GRAY 1859] and a Swift "Apus acuticaudus rupchandi" (p.16) [syn. Apus acuticaudus JERDON 1864].

Neither one very long-lived, nor listed in the HBW Alive Key.

Mark, while we impatiently wait for those "Contributions from the Institute for Regional Exploration …" I will take the opportunity to add some small info regarding Koelz's partner (mentioned in the text of Koelz, in the NSF-CSBR Joint Museums Project link you forwarded) commemorated in the eponym rupchandi, today explained in the HBWAlive Key as: = the Indian plant explorer Thakur RUP CHAND (1902–1994), from Lahul (Lahoul), Himachal Pradesh, India – collector (mostly of plants and seeds), interpreter and assistant (though also an able scientist in his own right), who worked closely with Walter Koelz for over 30 years. Posthumously awarded the Kholi Memorial Gold Medal, by the Himalayan Plant association.
---

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Pied Bushchat ssp. Saxicola caprata rupchandi Koelz, 1939 NCR [JS Saxicola caprata bicolor]
Rup Chand's Needletail Hirundapus cochinchinensis rupchandi Biswas, 1951 [Alt. Silver-backed Needletail ssp.]
White-cheeked Partridge ssp. Arborophila atrogularis rupchandi Koelz, 1953 NCR; NRM
Blyth's Tragopan ssp. Tragopan blythii rupchandi Koelz, 1954 NCR [JS Tragopan blythii blythii]
Broad-billed Warbler ssp. Tickellia hodgsoni rupchandi Koelz, 1954 NCR [JS Tickellia hodgsoni hodgsoni]
Dark-rumped Swift ssp. Apus acuticauda rupchandi Koelz, 1954 NCR; NRM
Hodgson's Frogmouth ssp. Batrachostomus hodgsoni rupchandi Koelz, 1954 NCR [JS Batrachostomus hodgsoni hodgsoni]
Thakur Rup Chand (DNF) was a Tibetan assistant to Walter Koelz (q.v.). They collected together in the Indian subcontinent (1931–1953). 'Thakur' is an Indian feudal title, rather than a first name.

Mr. Murata

= the Japanese ornithologist and field collector Shojiro Murata [i.e. Murata Shōjirō 村田庄次郎], assistant curator and (further on) curator of the College Museum in Sapporo, who collected bird specimens on Hokkaido and Sakhalin from 1890 to 1910. He, "the late", apparently died shortly before 1928 …

See links; here, here and here (p.2)

Björn

PS. Not to confuse (I think!?) with the Japanese woodcut master printer of the same name.
---
He may have published 樺太動物調查報告.

Mr. Okada … in Japanese!

Here´s a small side-track from the true "etymological challenges", but maybe with some additional info, regarding:

okadai
● … in the invalid "Prosteganura haagneri okadai" YAMASHINA 1930 [a Vidua hybrid]
= could this be the Japanese Professor "Rihei" Okada [岡田利兵衛] (1892–1982), well-known aviculturalist in the 1930's and 1940's, later an authority on Japanese classical literature and large-scale collector of Haiku Poems. Honorary citizen of Itami … !?

See link, here, compared to Hachisuka's article (Post #35 or #36), pp. 348-350. Surely it must be the same guy? Or are there loads of "Rihei" Okada's, in the town of Itami?

I guess (!) it´s this guy; here (in Japanese) or here (somewhat, but only somewhat, easier for us Westerners, with Google translate), where he is described as, among many things, a bird ("Yotori") breeder and initiator of some kind of "Association of birds"!

But what about the name/s: "KakiMamoru" vs "Rihei" … ?

Anyone´s got the answer?

Björn

PS. Also compare with the entry of Okada in The Eponym Dictionary of Birds, here. Yet another Mr. Okada … born in 1892!?

This said, turning back to the "etymological challange" of the subspecies Lagopus lagopus okadai MOMIYAMA 1928, could "Mr Yoshikazu Okada" (from the OD, accordng to Mark, in Post #16 ) and The Eponym Dictionary's "Dr. Yaichiro Okada" be the same person? Yoshikazu/Yaichiro … simply similar, or?

Sorry can't completely follow. Have we seen OD?

Prosteganura haagneri okadai Yamashina , 1930 , Tori , 6 , p . 115 ( in English column ) , pl . 7 , upper fig
But I assume because of here
Type : Live bird , now in R. Okada collection . ad . Type locality : Exact locality unknown ! But it is said to have been imported on the board of “ Kawachi - mara ” in May of 1923 from Derban or Capetown , South Africa .

So for sure seems not the Kiichi Okada mentioned here. But dates Björn suggested would fit to here. Count anything against him?

Less clear are the life dates of the honoree in Lagopus lagopus okadai Momiyama, 1928 OD here

1928 Falcipennis falcipennis muratai Momiyama, 1, p. 234 .
Looking at the snippets of Google Book. This subspecific name is given in honour of the late Mr. S. Murata, Assistant Curator of the College Museum in Sapporo, Agricultural College, Hokkaido Imperial University. In this publication but not listed by Mr. Jobling here the Willow Grouse subspecies okadai "This is named in honour of Mr. Yoshikazu Okada, investigator of the Alpine plants and ornith-oecology of high regions in Japan."

OK he published as well 鷹司博士の追憶 (In memoriam Dr. Takashi) together with 岡田利兵衛 ; 松永安衛 ; 高野鷹蔵 (Rihei Okada; Yasue Matsunaga; Takazo Takano) in Bulletin of the Ornithological Society of Japan (Tori?) 1959-09

This said, turning back to the "etymological challange" of the subspecies Lagopus lagopus okadai MOMIYAMA 1928, could "Mr Yoshikazu Okada" (from the OD, accordng to Mark, in Post #16 ) and The Eponym Dictionary's "Dr. Yaichiro Okada" be the same person? Yoshikazu/Yaichiro … simply similar, or?

The English version of the OD tells us:
This is named in honour of Mr. Yoshikazu OKADA, investigator of the Alpine plants and ornithoecology of high regions in Japan.

The Japanese version:
本亞種名は本邦産高山栖鳥類特に雷鳥類の調査に従事ありて毎回好研究を發表せられつある日本鳥學會岡田喜一氏の名譽の爲め氏の姓を探りて命ぜしものこす。
Although I don't find the structure of this sentence very easy to follow ;), a slightly edited Google translation would give something like: "The name of this subspecies is to remind the surname of Mr. Yoshikazu Okada, a member of the Ornithological Society of Japan who has been engaged in research on Japanese alpine birds, especially ptarmigan, and has been showing good research every time."

I believe the dedicatee is 岡田喜一 (Yoshikazu Okada), 1902-1984 (e.g., here), who was primarily a phycologist (working with algae), and also an occasional ornithologist.

In 1985, a few months after his death, an in memoriam note was published in 鳥 (Tōri), which you can see here (with a picture). The identity of this person with the phycologist is clear from the text, which also cites explicitly a 1927 publication by him in Tōri about ptarmigan names: On the Origin of Names of the Japanese Ptarmigans and the Superstition on them . He was born in Meiji 35 [= 1902] in Shitaya-ku, Tōkyō, and passed away on 6 Nov of Shōwa 59 [= 1984] in Nagasaki.

He authored the works cited above in posts #41-42.

Last edited:
I'm impressed, Laurent! (y)

Thus, I think it's fair to say ...

okadai, as in:
• the subspecies Lagopus lagopus okadai MOMIYAMA 1928
= Mr Yoshikazu Okada (1902–1984), Japanese phycologist and ornithologist, etc., etc., ... as of above (from what's told in the English part of the OD, I assume we can also add the titles; botanist, and investigator, or likewise).

Great Work!

/B

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back