• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moroccan desert dragonfly? (2 Viewers)

Brian Stone

A Stone chatting
Hi all. On my recent whistle-stop tour of Morocco I frequently encountered a largish dragonfly in the deserts, usually well away from any water. They were all moving far too fast to get much on them but to my eye appeared like rather dull brownish hawker type dragonflies with no discerable colour to speak of but an aeshna-like abdominal pattern.

From maps in Dijkstra I had compiled a list of possible dragons for the region but this is certainly not one of them (Emperor, Lesser Emperor, Vagrant Emperor, Epaulet Skimmer, Red-veined Darter, Broad Scarlet, Violet Dropwing, Orange-winged Dropwing).

As a long shot, does anyone have any suggestions for a common dragon matching this vague description?

Can you be certain that they weren't Lesser/Vagrant Emperors?

These would be by far the most likely species that would fit your description. The abdomen pattern on both can look aeshna like in brief views, and immature males and females lack any distinct colours.

Thanks Roy, I'd gone back over this since posting and come to the same conclusion. I think they were Vagrant Emperors (possibly with Lessers too). There don't seem to be any other possibilities.

From what I gather, there was a significant movement of ephippiger through north Africa this winter that may well explain the couple of UK records in February.

Hi Brian, did pretty much the same trip as you in "08" & found Odo`s generally scarce apart from large numbers of fem/imm Vagrant Emperors around Dyat Srij (Merzouga). Only one blue saddled male was seen. Did`nt get R.V.Darter but did see a couple of Trithemis annulata & a single T. kirbyii.

Attachments

• V.Emperor 4.JPG
    V.Emperor 4.JPG
    206.9 KB · Views: 59
Cheers Rob. It's good to get a bit more conifirmation. I was looking out for dropwings but saw none.

Dyat Srij was totally dry as far as we could tell but most of the Vagrant Emperors were in that general area.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back