• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Most outdated bird name (1 Viewer)

Last edited:
So far, the name Crocodile Bird is the most outdated bird name, based on a 2450 year old story from Herodotus (ca 430 BC).

Interestingly, unlike the similarly old and incorrect name goatsucker, the crocodile myth is still believed, the name is still in use, and there was no proposal to preserve the name Crocodile Bird for purely nostalgic quality.

By comparison, Barnacle Goose myth that the geese grow from barnacles is less than 900 years old.

Last edited:
Herodotus, The Histories, Book 2, chapter 68, wrote of the crocodile, “Whenever it spends time in the water, the inside of its mouth fills up completely with leeches. And although other birds and animals avoid it, the plover lives at peace with it, since the crocodile receives benefits from it. When the crocodile emerges from the water onto land and opens its jaws (and as a rule, it faces the west as it does this), the plover enters its mouth and devours the leeches, while the crocodile, seeming to enjoy this service, does no harm at all to the plover.” (Strassler (ed.) & Purvis (trans.), 2008, The Landmark Herodotus. The Histories). This story continued to be circulated by other ancient authors, and, more recently, the now discredited Meinertzhagen (1930, Nicolls Bird of Egypt) claimed to have seen both Egyptian Plover Pluvianus and Spur-winged Plover Vanellus/Hoplopterus picking the teeth of basking crocodiles. Arnott, 2007, Birds in the Ancient World, p. 248 (under Trochilos), believed the name could apply equally to both those species, and I think the Common Sandpiper Actitis and the Senegal Thicknee Burhinus are also contenders. In other words, the Crocodile Bird is now unidentifiable, and Egyptian Plover should be retained.

By the time taxonomists got to South America with all its avian diversity, they seem to have run out of ideas for bird names, as shown by: South American Tern, Roadside Hawk or--my favourite--Lake Duck. Apart from that, Cape Pigeon (not a pigeon and not restricted to SA) and Sandwich Tern (akin to Kentish Plover and Dartford Warbler) are other curious examples. Not sure if I'd be inclined to change these names, though.

Roadside Hawk is a perfectly descriptive name which actually corresponds with the behavior of the bird. To be fair it would also work for a out a hundred other species :) But this is a really iconic bird in a large area of South America.

On the other hand, Sandwich Tern just makes me hungry.

The town of Sandwich should erect some monument to the Sandwich Tern and to the sandwich food for popularizing it abroad...

Herodotus, The Histories, Book 2, chapter 68, wrote of the crocodile,

Wikipedia has an interesting history of the myth itself and precise bird species associated with it. :

Ironically, Water Thick-Knee could be rightly called The Crocodile Bird - it often nests near nests of Nile Crocodiles for protection. But it was never associated with the myth and never called this way.

Last edited:
Wikipedia has an interesting history of the myth itself and precise bird species associated with it. :

Ironically, Water Thick-Knee could be rightly called The Crocodile Bird - it often nests near nests of Nile Crocodiles for protection. But it was never associated with the myth and never called this way.
The biggest kicker for the myth is that nobody, not even Herodotus saw the bird doing this behavior (and I don't think it ever saw it alive either), he just went by the hearsay of the locals showing him the region.

What we do know is that the Trochilus was not one of the Streamertails.
So calling the non-Egyptian non-Plover "Crocodile-bird" shouldn't be an issue either (a cool name for a cool bird and easy to remember for most European non-native speakers, except the irredeemable French).
Add your favourite smileys.

From the internet: "Jurek as a boy's name is of Greek origin, and the meaning of Jurek is "farmer"."
Unless you are a farmer, I guess you ought to fix your own outdated name before you start tinkering with bird names ;)

From the internet: "Jurek as a boy's name is of Greek origin, and the meaning of Jurek is "farmer"."
Unless you are a farmer, I guess you ought to fix your own outdated name before you start tinkering with bird names ;)
But certainly, four pages of discussion have been cultivated...

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back