• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Most outdated bird name (1 Viewer)

I think most one word names to describe/name a bird species are fine as is, because even if the original meaning is lost, the word now only links to that bird species.

So please, always keep Gyrfalcon, Lammergeier, Smew, Limpkin, Emu, Kagu, Hoatzin and Sunbittern, over other two part split names, it makes it clear that these are unique animals that nothing comes close to them in the world (although I might be romanticizing it a bit too much).

Also, not the worst name, since I've seen the namesake of it in the wild once, but any bird named after a part only a hunter or someone else with the bird in the hand might stand grounds to change, ie: Ring-necked Duck.

I think most one word names to describe/name a bird species are fine as is, because even if the original meaning is lost, the word now only links to that bird species.

So please, always keep Gyrfalcon, Lammergeier, Smew, Limpkin, Emu, Kagu, Hoatzin and Sunbittern, over other two part split names, it makes it clear that these are unique animals that nothing comes close to them in the world (although I might be romanticizing it a bit too much).

Also, not the worst name, since I've seen the namesake of it in the wild once, but any bird named after a part only a hunter or someone else with the bird in the hand might stand grounds to change, ie: Ring-necked Duck.
If anything we need more single name birds.

Black-capped Donacobius for instance implies the existence of other types of Donacobius. Should just be Donacobius! Same with Rosy Thrush-Tanager, which implies the existence of other Thrush-Tanagers.

If anything we need more single name birds.

Black-capped Donacobius for instance implies the existence of other types of Donacobius. Should just be Donacobius! Same with Rosy Thrush-Tanager, which implies the existence of other Thrush-Tanagers.
It surprises me that you accept uninomial constructions (e.g. Bluethroat, Whinchat, Shoebill)

The majority of bird names are binomials, even when it is a monotypic genus (ex. the Wattled Ploughbill, only member of Eulacestoma, if I follow your logic, we would say "Ploughbill"). Why some are uninomial ?
Historical legacy/inertia I assume.

I have no problem with uninomial name if it makes sense. To me, "Wren" as a common name doesn't make much sense, since there are nearly 100 species. But there really isn't (AFAIK) another "bluethroat" or "whinchat" or for that matter Ploughbill. So using the simpler name makes sense to me.

King of Saxony Bird-of-Paradise.

I am not a monarchist, but the king Albert of Saxony has earned the right to stay. He apparently sponsored research in New Guinea out of his pocket and got the bird named after him. Just like many American museums are named after a major sponsor.

I must say, that the late king was different from most politicians of today, who cut money for science other than most immediately practical topics.

My impression was that Coal Tit / Koolmees / Kohlmeise / Mésange charbonnière / Carbonero común (only the English name refers to Periparus ater; the others all refer to Parus major) was in reference to the black "staining", mainly on the head of the birds, that prompted reminiscences of typically black-stained coalmen. (Which is admittedly an outdated image, though.)
Isn't the "black make-up" that you have in mind kohl, rather than coal ? This is originally an Arabic word for antimony, unrelated to Germanic coal / kool / Kohl.

This is exactly what I mean. The coal in Coal Tit became outdated so long ago that nobody knows the origin.

Much as I love beautiful and poetic words, I believe that bird names are utilities, so should change with changing language. If birders call Meadow Pipit a Mipit, the bird books should follow, like with countless words over centuries.

Much as I love beautiful and poetic words, I believe that bird names are utilities, so should change with changing language. If birders call Meadow Pipit a Mipit, the bird books should follow, like with countless words over centuries.

It is my impression that the majority of the birders calling a Meadow Pipit a Mipit themselves consider this slang. As long as they do not consider it a serious name, I would not place mipit into a field guide or checklist.
Niels

By the time taxonomists got to South America with all its avian diversity, they seem to have run out of ideas for bird names, as shown by: South American Tern, Roadside Hawk or--my favourite--Lake Duck. Apart from that, Cape Pigeon (not a pigeon and not restricted to SA) and Sandwich Tern (akin to Kentish Plover and Dartford Warbler) are other curious examples. Not sure if I'd be inclined to change these names, though.

Coal Tit is fine as a name. Its origins are a bit obscure (and not necessarily correctly described in the OP) but its not misleading or ambiguous or offensive and doesn't need "updating" IMO (in the same way that various bizarre place names don't need updating either, these are names, not words in general use). Also, what's the alternative?

one name that always irritates me however is Wild Turkey.

cheers,
James
Might it be more accurate to rename it Slightly Miffed Turkey...?
MJB

By the time taxonomists got to South America with all its avian diversity, they seem to have run out of ideas for bird names, as shown by: South American Tern, Roadside Hawk or--my favourite--Lake Duck. Apart from that, Cape Pigeon (not a pigeon and not restricted to SA) and Sandwich Tern (akin to Kentish Plover and Dartford Warbler) are other curious examples. Not sure if I'd be inclined to change these names, though.
When you say cape pigeon, you mean the vernacular somewhat similar to "cape sheep"? Then it is not taxonomic , but vernacular...

There are a ton of misleading or unimaginative names out, many of which have been mentioned, but the single most outdated name must surely be "Midget Flowerpecker".

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back