• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moth I.D Needed (1 Viewer)

solwaybirder

This was knocked out of the air by an Emperor Dragonfly which again attacked it on the water then left it to its struggles it was too far from the bank to reach.
Ian

Attachments

• Dragonfly attack.jpg
    Dragonfly attack.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 75
I can just about make out that the moth has thick, club like ends to the antennae which would make it a Burnet sp and not a Cinnabar.

Damian

I can just about make out that the moth has thick, club like ends to the antennae which would make it a Burnet sp and not a Cinnabar.

Damian
Thank you all for your help I thought it was a Burnet but the way it was in the water I could not be sure, most probably a Six spot as they are the common ones here.
Ian

Why not The Cinnabar? I can't see a dark border to those hindwings.

I looked at the size of the abdomen, it's much larger in diametre than Cinnabar
I also thought the broad tip of the antennae was visible and there looke to be some faint pink spots on the left forewing.

Harry

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back