• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moth problem in the room (1 Viewer)

Cevizci

Turkey
I see some moths in my room in the last few weeks. Don't know where they came from. It's like I see one larva, then in a couple of days, I see another one. I guess I found like 4-5 by now. I remember seeing a moth flying in the room a month ago or so but I didn't mind. Well I regret it now. Was that a male moth and found a female one and had babies or something? Anyways. I do regret not doing anything when I saw that flying moth, I just did not know anything about moths back then. But in the last few days I researched and learned a lot. But not enough. Now I wanna know what are those moths doing in my room? I mean what type of moths are they? I thought that maybe they're clothing moths, because I recently took out some winter clothes from a wardrobe in another room and placed them in my room. But from the pictures I saw online, the larvae in my room doesn't look like clothing moth larvae, because mine doesn't carry any clothing material around their cocoon. So I thought they were carpet moths because their(the ones in my room) cocoon is coated with dust. And -unfortunately- I didn't took care of the room lately and a part of the carpet(under couches) are quite dusty. Then sometime later(like, a few larvae later) I realized that I always find them around my bed. So I checked a couple of places and saw that there is quite a lot of dust on the floor, near my bed. So I think they're nesting there. Or nested. Whatever. I wonder if that means that those larvae just feed on dust and grow up to become moths? Or I totally misunderstood it?

This sounds like a complicated problem and im sorry your dealing with it. The easiest way to avoid this would be moth deterrents like moth spray or newer made moth balls

Do you have a local Hardware Store where you could get some advice? Maybe you could take photos of the larvae which would help them to suggest a suitable treatment.

It sounds like you have more than one problem. Any chance of a picture of the larvae you've been seeing - and of the 'dust' by your bed (is it wood dust?).

This sounds like a complicated problem and im sorry your dealing with it. The easiest way to avoid this would be moth deterrents like moth spray or newer made moth balls
Thanks but I heard that moth balls(if its the same thing with naphtaline) are not good for health. Are they useful for ongoing moth/larva problem? Or is it just used to prevent moths building up? If it makes the current moths go away then I'll keep it in mind. Or maybe I'll try lavender, peppermint oil and such instead of mothballs?
Do you have a local Hardware Store where you could get some advice? Maybe you could take photos of the larvae which would help them to suggest a suitable treatment.
As a very anti-social person, I have no idea what kinda stores I have near me. But thanks for the advice, I'll check it.
It sounds like you have more than one problem. Any chance of a picture of the larvae you've been seeing - and of the 'dust' by your bed (is it wood dust?).

What do mean more than one problem? :-/
I took some pictures just this morning because I found 2 more larvae, after not seeing them for a few days. Anyways, I don't know what "wood dust" is so I can't tell you what kinda dust is in my room but I guess they're just "regular" dusts. I mean when you don't sweep your room for a while, the dust piles up, especially in the corners of the room, this is what I'm talking about. I took pictures of the dust too but the dust is not very visible in the photos because of the flooring pattern. I'll post them if you want. I'm only posting larva photos for now. I also took a video of these two larvae but I have to edit it first and I'm not sure if you wanna see it?

By the way, they're not on a carpet in the photos, I took them onto a tissue.

Attachments

• L1.JPG
    L1.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 15
  • L2.JPG
    L2.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 15
Sounds more like Woodworm or Carpet Beetles, perhaps the adult moths are not actually related to the issues mentioned??

I had Carpet Beetles but caught it early, they like to be at the edge of carpets, spray thoroughly with insecticide, also, lift the carpet and give it a good spray all around the edges. I got rid of mine successfully but you need to act quickly. If it's a room with a door that can be closeed to seal it off, it's worth two cans of insecticde, spray everything including curtains and then close the door and stay out of there for 24hrs.

Last edited:
Thanks but I heard that moth balls(if its the same thing with naphtaline) are not good for health. Are they useful for ongoing moth/larva problem? Or is it just used to prevent moths building up? If it makes the current moths go away then I'll keep it in mind. Or maybe I'll try lavender, peppermint oil and such instead of mothballs?

As a very anti-social person, I have no idea what kinda stores I have near me. But thanks for the advice, I'll check it.

What do mean more than one problem? :-/
I took some pictures just this morning because I found 2 more larvae, after not seeing them for a few days. Anyways, I don't know what "wood dust" is so I can't tell you what kinda dust is in my room but I guess they're just "regular" dusts. I mean when you don't sweep your room for a while, the dust piles up, especially in the corners of the room, this is what I'm talking about. I took pictures of the dust too but the dust is not very visible in the photos because of the flooring pattern. I'll post them if you want. I'm only posting larva photos for now. I also took a video of these two larvae but I have to edit it first and I'm not sure if you wanna see it?

By the way, they're not on a carpet in the photos, I took them onto a tissue.
Those are the old moth balls current day produced mothballs dont use dangerous substances

In my experience Carpet moth (Tinea pellionella) larvae seem to be able to feed on housedust, it must contain some keratin. So getting rid of the dust and keeping a close watch for larvae may get things under control. Its easier to catch larvae than adult moths, though a vacuum cleaner can help with the latter as they are not strong fliers.
Putting bars of soap (any sort, wrapped) in drawers or bags which store clothes acts as a deterrent - an easy alternative to moth balls, but neither will kill larvae or adult moths.

Sounds more like Woodworm or Carpet Beetles, perhaps the adult moths are not actually related to the issues mentioned??

I had Carpet Beetles but caught it early, they like to be at the edge of carpets, spray thoroughly with insecticide, also, lift the carpet and give it a good spray all around the edges. I got rid of mine successfully but you need to act quickly. If it's a room with a door that can be closeed to seal it off, it's worth two cans of insecticde, spray everything including curtains and then close the door and stay out of there for 24hrs.
I googled woodworm and as far as I understand, they live in/around the wood? But there's no wood in the room. How would they live?
Actually, I think a part of my bed is wooden. I guess I have to check that wooden part of my bed, because I cannot see it right now. It is not visible. I don't know how to say it in English. Please google "yatak bazası" and go to images, you'll understand what I'm talking about. That chest-like part is wooden, rest is leather. But then again, even though I saw most of the larvae near my bed, they were usually on the walls or on the leather part of the bed or on the floor. Would woodworms leave their living area and emerge to other areas? Even though there's no wood on other areas?

I also googled carpet beetles and I don't think the larva in the room looks like carpet beetle larva. But I'll check the carpet edges just in case. Maybe I have both problems. Because I remember seeing a very little dark bug a few weeks ago.
Those are the old moth balls current day produced mothballs dont use dangerous substances
I didn't know that. Thanks. I'll check it.
In my experience Carpet moth (Tinea pellionella) larvae seem to be able to feed on housedust, it must contain some keratin. So getting rid of the dust and keeping a close watch for larvae may get things under control. Its easier to catch larvae than adult moths, though a vacuum cleaner can help with the latter as they are not strong fliers.
Putting bars of soap (any sort, wrapped) in drawers or bags which store clothes acts as a deterrent - an easy alternative to moth balls, but neither will kill larvae or adult moths.
Thanks. I have to do a deep cleaning in the room I guess.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back