• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moth Trap - home made (1 Viewer)

John In Ireland

Ireland
I would like to make a moth trap. I have just developed an interest and no nothing about it. I read about making home made traps. I can't seem to figure out why all or most traps are built with Mercury Vapour Lamps??? Then connected to a choke. Why is this? Why can't a normal 125w bulb be used connected to a circuit breaker? There must be a reason. Forgive the ignorance.

Last edited:
Hi John
If you want to use a 125w mercury vapour lamp, which is better for attracting a wide range of moths, you must connect it via a choke. Originally they had a three-pronged bayonet fitting to stop anyone plugging it into a normal light socket. Most now come with an Edison screw fitting. However, here are bulbs that you can use that eliminate the need for a separate choke - examples being the 160w blended bulb (which has an additional tungsten filament that acts as a choke), WEM lights or actinic lights.
http://www.angleps.com/moth_guid.pdf gives some basics about moth trapping and moth traps.
Best wishes
Martin

Hi John,

I built my own moth trap, a very primitive box with a hole in it but it does catch moths. If you are interested you can see how I did it here:

I use an Actinic bulb as I live in a built up area and don't want to annoy the neighbours but there's no reason why you can't use a MV bulb instead - you'll get better catches if you do. MV bulbs are incredibly bright though so don't site it somewhere where it might be a nuisance.

Adam

However, here are bulbs that you can use that eliminate the need for a separate choke - examples being the 160w blended bulb (which has an additional tungsten filament that acts as a choke), WEM lights or actinic
Martin[/QUOTE]

This has been outlawed and they are now impossible to get. They burn so hot that they can explode when they get wet so they've been banned.

Andy

Hi Andy
It's true that they run hot but not vastly hotter than an ordinary mv.
All mv bulbs are gradually being phased out because of their mercury content. Blended bulbs are still available from many retail and wholesale outlets.

One can use any sort of light to attract moths but to maximise your catch an mv is preferred due to its high ultra violet content.

Best wishes
Martin

Hi Andy
It's true that they run hot but not vastly hotter than an ordinary mv.
All mv bulbs are gradually being phased out because of their mercury content. Blended bulbs are still available from many retail and wholesale outlets.

One can use any sort of light to attract moths but to maximise your catch an mv is preferred due to its high ultra violet content.

Best wishes
Martin

You beat me to it Martin. I built my own MV trap a few years ago, much cheaper than buying one. If you are just starting out though, it might pay to begin with an actinic. I ran my MV last Tuesday and got around 450 moths. That can be quite time consuming if you are not too sure of ID's.

Lewis

I spoke to Jon Clifton at Anglian Lepidopterists just the other day, he told me that the Nat Hist museum has cleaned him out of his final stock of blended bulbs and that they were now 'impossible' to get. They have actually been outlawed on safety grounds so as far as I know it's going to be illegal to sell them?

I have an unconventional method of trapping, as I have no real garden, I use my porch with a blended bulb, always have done. When my latest and last of it's kind (from AL anyway) bulb dies, I'll have to change my methodology and start using a light with a choke etc.

As I said, I have discussed this with Jon in the last few days.

It's interesting to see how a different light source effects your catch, when I used an old strip light from my kitchen I'd get Gothic every night. Since I started using a blended bulb (c10yrs) I think I've had 3.

Andy

Last edited:
Hi Andy
That's odd, we don't usually use them (unless things have changed since I retired last year!). As I mentioned, they are being discontinued, along with all mv bulbs, due to their mercury content.
In case you want to stock up before they disappear, try:
http://www.bltdirect.com/venture-me...27?adcid=pla&gclid=CMGMubqH-cYCFRQatAodB9QAtA or
http://www.nationallampsandcomponen...d-bulb-00220?gclid=CLWhjY-I-cYCFQnLtAodnRkKzQ
or for a 240w version:
http://www.lamps-on-line.com/blende...60w-e27.html?gclid=CJj_zaOI-cYCFUXItAodvskDKg
Best wishes
Martin

That's great Martin,
I wonder why they're so cheap, usually cost me £25?

They say also that they can be used outside, must be covered?

You write

or for a 240w version:

The three links provide the same light, 240v - 160w...?

Just bought 3 anyway

many thanks, Andy

Last edited:
Hi Andy
Yes, it's always best to buy bulbs direct from an electrical supplier (another reason why I found Jon's comments odd - I'll try to find out who ordered them) - and yes, they need to be covered.
Whoops I'd misread the garbled text when it appearred on my laptop. You are correct - all the same wattage. They should keep you going!
Best wishes
Martin

I have to replace my 125W E27 mercury vapour lamp and was wondering why there are such differences in prices between suppliers. As I intend to buy several I would like to know, are these all the same types of bulb and are they all high pressure. If anyone can recommend a particlar brand I would be grateful.
Thanks,
SF

Hi
I think you will find that it is just the retail market, plus supply and demand. Some will prefer to keep the price low and sell lots. Others will sell only a few and therefore keep the price high. As for entomological suppliers: they have to buy them in the first place, store them, purchase packing material and the cost of postage, they will always be higher but should (usually) be supported for the valuable work that they do.
All the ones I've looked at are the same type of bulb, whether it be Osram, Philips, etc.
Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back