• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moult and Ageing of European Passerines (1 Viewer)

mpc

There is another copy of Jenni and Winkler on ebay.

search for Moult and ageing of European passerines

There is another copy of Jenni and Winkler on ebay.

search for Moult and ageing of European passerines

Thanks for the tip, but in my opinion you should hold onto your cash, mpc. There probably isn't much point in bidding - these seem to go for crazy money for some reason. It makes no sense especially given the firm indications from Christopher Helm/A&C Black that a reprint is in the pipeline. These copies will just beslightly faded second-hand books with no special value when the new edition comes out.

Mícheál

I have assurances that there is no re-print coming, where did you get that information?? There have been several rumours that this is being re-printed but from what I have found this is not the case. This guide is highly valued by ringers and keen ornithologists alike and in my view a worthy addition to any collection.

I have assurances that there is no re-print coming, where did you get that information?? There have been several rumours that this is being re-printed but from what I have found this is not the case. This guide is highly valued by ringers and keen ornithologists alike and in my view a worthy addition to any collection.

Probably from the same people you got your "assurances" from!

Are you the person selling the book?

I think the distinction is between its value as a working book "highly valued by ringers and keen ornithologists alike" - no argument with that - and "a worthy addition to any collection". I really question whether this is a collectable book. However it is only an opinion, and clearly the level of bidding on this auction shows that there are a lot of people who take the opposite view and are gambling that it is really worth several hundred pounds sterling.

I was only pointing out that it is unlikely to reach the prices currently being achieved when the reprinted edition comes out, and likely to go exactly the same way as the second-hand value of Svensson's classic a couple of years ago, once the new books hit the shops, and demand meets supply.

I don't own a copy but I have unrestricted access to one and have used it quite a bit. It's a great book, but if I had a copy I would sell it right now and wait for a nice new one when it is reprinted!

Is that what you are doing?........................

Mícheál

I contacted AC Black, the owner of AP, who originally published the book, the reply when asking about a reprint came;

"Unfortunately this book is now out of print and we aren't planning a reprint."

The other statements are my view, I do own a copy of this book already and it is my opinion that it is a great book. This is my personal view nonetheless and if you don't wish to pay highly for this book then don't.

I had the deep joy of owning about a dozen copies of this book at one time. The printing was subbed out to a company called MacKays in North Kent, and loads of 'remaindered' copies turned up in the local second-hand bookshops for £10-£15 a throw.

Over the course of the years I've given 'em away to various trainee ringers, the last one just two years ago (if you're out there Chloe P hope it's getting well thumbed). One of my copies has definately been posted out to the Middle East recently by the original recipient (gratis still as well).

..and no, sorry, none left now!!

I s'pose the moral is always check the rubbish bins of the local printers chaps!!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back