• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mountain Bike Binoculars (1 Viewer)

nicholasj

United States
Hi all. After reading through many posts on this site, I recently purchased the Maven B2 9x45. They are fantastic! Thanks for all the lovely info I’ve read about them. As much as I love them, they are quite big so I’m now looking for something easier to carry when I don’t want to bring the B2s. They will primarily be used for birding and will be carried to remote places while mountain biking. Since they’ll be taken mountain biking, a good warranty is important. They’ll also be used backpacking and fly fishing.

Right now I think the Maven B3 8x30 is my top choice. Others I am considering are the Opticron Discovery WA ED 8x32, Kowa BD II XD 8x32, and the Zeiss Terra 8x25. I’m intrigued by the Meopta MeoStar and Zeiss Conquest 8x32s, but they are quite a bit pricier.

What do you recommend for something smaller that I won’t be too disappointed with after using the B2s? I’m hoping to spend around $500 or less, but could spend more for the right set. Thanks!

Zeiss Terra 8x25. Very easy to carry in a coat pocket or pack, and they have excellent optics with superb on-axis resolution for their price point. If you compare the on-axis resolution of the Terra's with your other choices, I will bet they will beat most of them even the 32 mm and 42 mm. If you watch eBay, you can get them for about $250. I use them on my ebike when riding the trails along the river.

Last edited:
I find the Swarovski CL 8x25 pretty good as a compact binocular - slightly narrow FoV is my only real criticism. Over your current budget, but you might get a used pair or ex-demo for not much over if my conversion rates are right.

The Mavens are awesome. If you go to a smaller size you’ll sacrifice fov and brightness. Also don’t buy the double hinge compact models. They are a pain in the behind and your bike will probably give you enough of that!

CL 8x25's are awesome and pack up very small in a superb Swaro zip case. I rate these !!!

Leica 8x20, both Trinovid, and Ultravid are even smaller, and both superb for your needs.

I've owned all three over the years, and in daylight they all produce superb viewing. My CL8x25's are also way better at twighlight than I was expecting.
If you want 'portable' then just put up with the small exit pupil, and you will find your own way to handle them, that suits you. You just will... don't look for problems, get round them.
I have huge hands, and managed very well with the Leica's, and currently no issues with the Swaros.

I'm not a fan of the single offset hinge on the (superb) Zeiss 8x25 Victorys but that is just personal. I think double hinge just works better if it's small and portable that you're after.

Good luck.

If I'm going mountain biking I take a monocular to save on size and weight, given I'm primarily out for a ride and want to have something just in case for an id or a quick glance over a lake or field.

Thanks so much for the suggestions so far! I've been thinking more about it and have decided I'd rather have something in the X30/32 size, but on the smaller side so I can fit them in a small pack and still have room for other items. I'm not as concerned with weight. I also don't want get anything with an image too much worse than my B2s. I want to mountain bike to some remote places, do some fairly serious birding for an hour or two, and then ride back. I just ordered a B3 demo to try out, but I don't have access to anything else to compare them to. The Kowa Genesis 8x33 look like another potential option if I can find a deal on them. Seems like the Genesis and Conquest are on the bigger side, so I may rule them out.

I go mountain biking every Sunday with a group of friends. We take it easy, no super-technical stuff, but we do around 2:30 - 3:00 h, with varying landscapes. I usually carry an Opticron Traveller ED 8x32. I store it in my handlebar bag without any strap, so it can be easily accessed when needed with no tangling. I'm really satisfied. Don't think I'd like anything heavier than that, so the Maven 8x30 sounds great, as well as the Nikon Monarch 7 (or the new M7) and similar ones. My Opticron seems really robust and shows no signs of use despite the constant rattling and bumping. I've tried carrying 8x25 and 8x20 but I'd say 8x30/32 is a much easier option, because sometimes your heartbeat can be felt and make eyeposition/grip more difficult, which can be aggravated by small exit pupil and/or small eyecups. Some 8x30-32 have way more natural eye positioning than 8x25, so I'd stick with that size.

When cycling I usually take my pair of Opticron 8x32 BGA Mg Travellers - very compact and only 365g but sadly discontinued (not sure how easy it would be to get a used pair). If on the MTB I carry them in my Camelbak as I assume they'll suffer less from hits and vibration there. On the tourer/gravel bike they have to go in a handlebar bag so I wrap them in a waterproof or some padding .

If I'm going mountain biking I take a monocular to save on size and weight, given I'm primarily out for a ride and want to have something just in case for an id or a quick glance over a lake or field.

I've often thought about using a monocular as I assume it would be less prone to being knocked out of alignment if it gets bashed.

I bike with binoculars all the time. I agree with Yarelli - the compact sized 8x30/32 are the sweet spot here. I have the 8x30 MHG but the Nikon M7, Maven, Kite, and Opticron Traveler are all similar. They are widely presumed to come from the same producer and be variations on a design/chassis. Some are a better than others but they’re all pretty well regarded and they all perform well for the size, yet the size is small enough to ride in a handlebar or top tube bag. If mountain biking it is probably worth inventing some padding to fit your bar bag then fit the binoculars, so the vibration is less likely to affect them. I also recommend going strapless if you are biking more than birding. If the biking is just to get to the birding, probably leave the strap on. I don’t mind biking with smaller bins on a bandolier strap and the bins then ride against my back. I dislike having them to the front on a bike, and the bandolier strap doesn’t work as soon as you are off tarmac, too bumpy and they bounce on you or swing around to the front and get in the way. On pavement though it works well for 5-10km at a time. Wouldn’t do it all day.

Enjoy!

Hi all. After reading through many posts on this site, I recently purchased the Maven B2 9x45. They are fantastic! Thanks for all the lovely info I’ve read about them. As much as I love them, they are quite big so I’m now looking for something easier to carry when I don’t want to bring the B2s. They will primarily be used for birding and will be carried to remote places while mountain biking. Since they’ll be taken mountain biking, a good warranty is important. They’ll also be used backpacking and fly fishing.

Right now I think the Maven B3 8x30 is my top choice. Others I am considering are the Opticron Discovery WA ED 8x32, Kowa BD II XD 8x32, and the Zeiss Terra 8x25. I’m intrigued by the Meopta MeoStar and Zeiss Conquest 8x32s, but they are quite a bit pricier.

What do you recommend for something smaller that I won’t be too disappointed with after using the B2s? I’m hoping to spend around $500 or less, but could spend more for the right set. Thanks!
I am very happy with my Zeiss Terra 8x25, which I carry in a small Lowepro pouch (as the bag the binoculars came in is uselessly large). The Zeiss Terra are very good indeed; compared to the outstanding Victory Pocket, the only weak points are a slightly reduced field of view, and slightly lower transmission.

The 8x25 is a very handy size for travel, biking and hiking. They really give a nice view...so much so that I sold off the larger ones.

I switched to electric this year and love it. The binoculars ride in the small bag on the bars.

Como Jan 2022.jpeg

Dave. What kind of ebike is that? Is that a Brook's saddle? Here is my ebike. It is called a Super 73 R and tops out at 31mph. I carry my Zeiss Terra's 8x25 in a bag on the back or in my jacket pocket. The 8x25's fit in your pocket or bag much easier than an 8x30 or 8x32, and don't give up much on optics. The Terra's are very close to the Victory's except for a slightly smaller FOV and slightly lower transmission. The Terra's work better for me than the Victory's because they have longer eye cups and less eye relief, so I don't have to float them over my eyes as much as the Victory's

Super73_RGreen_01_FrntThrQtr_SuspensionPatch_1500x1000.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, thanks. The photo was taken one morning in January in this botanical garden.
Hoomaluhia Botanical Garden

The Pacific Golden Plovers took off for Alaska this week.

The bike is a Specialized Como. Very impressed with the comfort, handling, power and overall design / engineering.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back