• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moving into May (3 Viewers)

MikeWall said:
Hmm, coming from one of his 'adjacent counties', I'm not sure if I entirely agree with Mr Collins. Although wanderers do turn up elsewhere, I've only found Small Yellow Underwing in any numbers in relatively extensive grassland areas, mainly on the downs and in the north-east of my county. I'd classify it as 'widespread but local, can be common where it occurs'.
To be fair, GC doesn't actually say its status is wrongly described in the adjacent counties!
Ken

After getting nothing in my moth trap over the last few nights, mainly due to frost, it was rather nice to get out onto my local heather moors this afternoon during an hours sunshine.

The reason for my visit was to assemble male Fox Moths, to a bred female which emerged during the night. The breeze was fairly cool and I didn't expect good results. However a thirty minute spell brought in over 20 males, one of which would be smiling broadly. (if he had a mouth). A deposit of fertile ova is expected shortly.

Harry

Last night

Last night not as warm as in Wicklow, Angus. Just 6.7 deg C min, mainly cloudy, calm and dry. Not as many moths as you either, 39 moths of 23 species. with two new species for me - a Brown Silver-line (refuses to sit still at present so no photo) and a Treble Lines (see below). The list comprised the following :

Lesser Swallow Prominent (7)
Hebrew Character (5)
Scalloped Hazel (3)
Grey Pine Carpet (2)
Iron Prominent (2)
Coxcomb Prominent (2)
Micro (2) - piccie below for Id please

Brindled Pug
Spruce Carpet
Dwarf Pug
Small Pheonix
Brimstone Moth
Brown Silver-line
Pebble Prominent
Great Prominent
Swallow Prominent
Pale Tussock
Treble Lines
Light Brocade
Clouded Drab
Nut-tree Tussock
Red Chestnut - very worn, see piccie below, any comments. The hindwing tied up with RC. Its getting a bit late though.
Micro (1) - piccie of quite worn micro below, could be enough lines showing to get a clue!

Any help gratefully received.

I've also reposted the, what I think is a, Common Pug I posted on the DIY Moth Traps thread recently. Still looking for opinions on its correct Id, please.

Its been raining here most of the afternoon and is still drizzling at 20.30. 3 deg C forecast for tonight so I don't expect too much tonight!

All the best

Pete H

Attachments

• Treble Lines 6767t.jpg
    Treble Lines 6767t.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 91
  • Micro 6823t.jpg
    Micro 6823t.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 103
  • Micro 6824t.jpg
    Micro 6824t.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 105
  • Red Chestnut 6796t.jpg
    Red Chestnut 6796t.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 88
  • Common Pug 6608t.jpg
    Common Pug 6608t.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 85
Hi, Pete
The first mild night for ages and it's decided to rain steadily ;-(
I think your first micro is probably a caddis fly!
I don't know the pyralid but as you say it looks worn.
Ken

I think your first micro is probably a caddis fly!

I guess you're right about the Caddis Fly Ken. It is probably the same species I had a couple of weeks ago. Must remember that one. :C

Thanks

Pete H

Pete Haynes said:
Any help gratefully received.

I've also reposted the, what I think is a, Common Pug I posted on the DIY Moth Traps thread recently. Still looking for opinions on its correct Id, please.

Pete H

Pete,

Caddis-fly - agree with Ken!
Scopariinae (Pyralidae), and I ain't gonna commit to any more than that! Probably Scoparia ambigualis, but it's very worn (understatement).
Red Chestnut - agree (but recall my history with this species, hopefully I've learnt my lines by now!)
Common Pug - agree

Ken,

Graham's words to me implied that he was throwing some doubt on SmYU's uncommon status both inside and outside the county. Just me being my usual cynical self...ignore me ;)

Mike

Last edited:
That micro is a Caddis Fly.

Hello Pete,

Ken is quite correct, it is a Caddis. You will find that you will get them by the dozen or even the hundred if you live near a river, stream, pond, garden water butt. Some are as small or smaller than Common Housemoths others can be quite large. Once you get your 'eye in' you'll just discard them without a second glance. Unlike Cockchaffers which have a short season, Caddis can be on the wing nearly every month of the year. Sod's Law. lol.

Harry.

Ids

Thanks everyone for the Ids. The Scoparia ambigualis (?) will probably go to Graham Collins for Id. It does seem to be the only May one of the series but then there are a few June models too, too close for comfort!! Didn't even bother with the traps last night as it drizzled all evening and it was forecast to get cold during the night. Turned out as a min of 4.3 deg C and breezy. Decided to try and be fresh for a heathland bird walk I was taking this morning when the temp turned out to be around 9 deg C (45 deg F) with a freezing cold north-east wind. Saw most of the usual species but only heard our Dartfords and no sign of the Stonechats or Woodlarks. Loads of Linnets, Willow Warblers and Tree Pipits eventually.

All the best

Pete H

Pete Haynes said:
Didn't even bother with the traps last night as it drizzled all evening and it was forecast to get cold during the night. All the best

Pete H
I put my trap out (the actinic 25W as it was raining) and caught not a single moth. Never mind, I'm still quite chuffed about the small yellow underwing (already confirmed by GC) :bounce:
Ken

That lacewing

Thanks Harry

I'd no idea lacewings could vary so much - I'd assumed they were all green or light brown with veiled wings!!

I've got your address still from the abortive attempt to send you Plusia eggs, so I'll send the specimen off to you for further investigation.

I see what you mean, Mike...but I assure you, Hungary is a very long way from the sea, and I don't think there are any jellyfish in the Danube, either!!

Caught the first Nutmeg of the year last night. Nice new specimen, very 'mainstream' markings with clear Ws, I'm glad to say.

Terrible weather on the way - grey and thundery all around.....

Best

David

black52bird said:
Harry Eales answered me:

At first glance it looks very much like one of the Hook Tip moths, but isn't in fact a moth at all. It's a Lacewing, Hemerobiidae (Brown Lacewings) which probably goes by the delightfull name of Drepanepteryx phalaenoides.

I have web-searched this interesting Lacewing species, and come up with the following site in German which has some excellent photos which I thought you might be interested in. Site reference (hold on to your hats!!):

http://www.arthopods.de/insecta/ planipennia/hemerobiidae/ drepanepteryxPhalaenoides01.htm

Thanks again, Harry

And by the way, it poured all day, with big thunderstorms in the early evening!!

best

David

Hello David,

Can you check the link please, it's not working for me.

Harry

Link to Drepanepteryx

Hi Harry

Yes, actually I've deleted the post because however many times I tried the URL didn't come out correctly. It is continuous, but I'll space it after the slashes in the hope that it will be read as normal words and thus come out correctly this time!!! GRRRR!!

http:// www.arthopods.de/ insecta/ planipennia/
hemerobiidae/ drepanepteryxPhalaenoides01.htm

Best

David

Additional info

black52bird said:
Hi Harry

Yes, actually I've deleted the post because however many times I tried the URL didn't come out correctly. It is continuous, but I'll space it after the slashes in the hope that it will be read as normal words and thus come out correctly this time!!! GRRRR!!

http:// www.arthopods.de/ insecta/ planipennia/
hemerobiidae/ drepanepteryxPhalaenoides01.htm

Best

David

Hello David,

The second link didn't work either, lol. I think I have it though, try

http://www.arthropods.de/insecta/planipennia/hemerobiidae/drepanepteryxPhalaenoides02.htm

Like you I'm sick of error messages. Now where is my English/German dictionary. lol.

Harry

Edit. This link worked.

the flames have it

All I got last night was a flame carpet and two flame shoulders... although I did see a hawkmoth which somehow disappeared when I thought it had gone into the trap :C
Milder nights forecast for the next couple... but probably wet as well.
Ken

Fuchsia said:
Morning,
Sorry to take you away from your pugs ;) but I got a change from the usual Muslins this morning. I have Googled forever but am still unsure if it's hyphoraia aulica or testudinaria. Any ideas? I have more pics if needed.

Ta
Jen :bounce:
Is this the moth that has just turned up in Chichester (known as Sarah's toger)!?
(see post #180)

Last edited:
Angus T said:
I don't agree with that, I still think it's Brindled pug. Do you have a size for it by any chance?
It was your first pug of the year. I reckon if that's not Brindled I'd have to seriously look at all my records of this species. When Oak-tree pug appeared it was obviously different (my one's anyway) to my Brindleds.

My 3 cents worth...
Angus, I know it's history, but Sean Clancy has just replied to the photo of the pug on the Atropos site. I didn't say anything other than the fact it had caused some controversy. He says that he thinks it's oak-tree pug.
Ken

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back