• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Munich South, Germany: Common or Arctic Redpoll? (2 Viewers)

Hi all,
I was wondering about a very light redpoll that I saw today in a flock of about 50 common redpolls.
Any chance this could be an arctic redpoll? It is the one on the left and the one in the middle on the 1st and 2nd pic, respectively.
Unfortunately I do not have any pics of the bird's back.
Many thanks,
Claudia

Attachments

• DSC_2786.JPG
    DSC_2786.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC_2787.JPG
    DSC_2787.JPG
    238.7 KB · Views: 110
Hi Claudia,
if you look at the under-tail coverts you can see a black stripe. It should be, according to the Collins Bird Guide 2nd edition by Lars Svenson et al, narrow on the Arctic and broader on the Common. The wings are not seen due to angle/position, but the stripes on the flanks seem ok for Common. I think it's a 1st/female Winter Common, but others may have a better idea.

I don't believe there's more than one redpoll species, but this looks like the arctic form to me. I think it corresponds to one or other of the headline ebird photos for "arctic redpoll". For example, the undertail coverts look like this:

ML287403361 Hoary Redpoll Macaulay Library

(Other photos there show greater or lesser flank streaking). Even if this isn't that form, I think the images show the difficulty of making a categorical distinction between these 2 "species"

Thanks Fern, that answers some difficulty I was having trying to pin this one down. As far as the argument about whether they should all just be sub-species of the same species is concerned, I don't get involved. Apart from anything else, it's a pain in the arse trying to keep on top of annual updates, let alone the bird photos I have already sorted through.

(I think the argument is that these are different "forms" rather than "subspecies" as such. i.e. we get a spectrum of types which regularly overlap in distribution)

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back