• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shetland UK - Redpoll ID (1 Viewer)

BigMoney

United Nations
I saw this redpoll earlier today on Shetland and I’m just trying to figure out what it is. At the time I assumed Common however looking back at the photo I’m wondering if it’s possibly an Arctic. Any thoughts?

Unfortunately this is the only photo as it landed then flew off almost immediately.

911C5D20-9AA2-4C39-B51B-794C3A6CD8F4.jpeg

Presumably a Hornemann's - buff ear coverts, small bill and barely (if any) markings on the UTV's - though perhaps a single dark central feather? Not sure that you could exclude Mealy unless you have photos of the mantle and remiges though.
They've all been lumped which makes the identification a bit more straightforward thesedays...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back