• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Murder mystery: Barn Owl (1 Viewer)

la_ravachol

Spain
Recently at RSPB Gwenffrwd-Dinas in Wales I stumbled upon a lot of Barn Owl feathers across the ground - clearly a Barn Owl had been murdered! The feathers (including one or two flight feathers) were complete as if they'd been plucked by another raptor, not broken as you'd expect with a mammal. Also at the scene, there was a pellet (not large, but of a reasonable size) containing only Barn Owl feathers and thin white egg shell. Would a raptor have eaten an egg?? None of the feathers in the pellet were broken either, so again, a mammal doesn't appear to be the culprit.

If it's not a raptor and it's not a mammal, what else could have predated the owl? Or was the pellet left by a scavenger? A Raven perhaps? Or could a Raven have even killed the owl?! Do Ravens pluck birds before eating?

It also strikes me as weird to find a pellet at the scene of the crime - why did it hang around so long?

Can anyone help me solve the mystery!

(I'm sure a definitive answer is unlikely, but fun to speculate.)

IMG_20220719_100247554.jpg

Very interesting, would love to see if anyone is able to come up with a theory!
It's fascinating to find out that you're able to determine what the (likely) attacker was based on how the feathers are whole rather than broken; I'm very new to this still, so I feel like I'm constantly learning about things I never would have noticed before.

Very interesting, would love to see if anyone is able to come up with a theory!
It's fascinating to find out that you're able to determine what the (likely) attacker was based on how the feathers are whole rather than broken; I'm very new to this still, so I feel like I'm constantly learning about things I never would have noticed before.
Ok, I'll bite. The Barn Owl was eaten at a regularly used plucking post which is why the eggshell in the pellet was at the same place.

The suspect list is most likely: Goshawk, Buzzard (perhaps best suspect as not only an active predator but also an habitual opportunist scavenger), Red Kite, Tawny Owl.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back