• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My bird feeders (1 Viewer)

Hi, recently I got five bird feeders and put them up. I filled two of them with a seed mix from Carrefour which is actually intended for humans, the have been up for a few weeks now but the birds don't seem to like them. The third I filled with bird seed from the bird market, it has been up nearly a week now and no birds, but I know it might take a while. My question is, what birds would use these feeders and should I change the location to make them more likely to come? I attached a picture (don't know why it's the wrong way round). How long would it take for birds to come and which birds would like it? These feeders are in my compound, I don't own the land so I can't do anything like planting bushes or putting up bird baths, but the lake in my compound isn't frozen so they can drink and bathe there.

Attachments

• 20160123_085527.jpg
    20160123_085527.jpg
    479.5 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Hi Starburst - I don't know what part of China you're in, which will affect possible birds a good deal. I had a bird feeder up for a few years - but on a 5th floor balcony, so all I got were Tree sparrows. They loved the millet I bought and were quite regular as long as I put it out. I don't remember now how long it took for them to discover it. I guess if you have sunflower seeds (without salt!) that tits would come. Doves would probably eat spilled seed on the ground. Starlings might be interested - at least European ones will in the States. I guess that very few birds in China have encountered artificial feeders, so I would expect it could take a long time (relatively) for them to find it. I'm not sure off hand what other seed eating birds might be likely to eat off a feeder. Also, this feeder will probably only accommodate fairly smallish birds.

I'm in Shanghai, we have Light-vented Bulbuls, Daurian Redstarts, Azure-winged Magpies, Spotted Doves, Pied/White Wagtails (not sure which they are), Grey Wagtails, probably more I've forgotten about. Is the location of the feeder good for birds?

Well, the thing is only a limited number of types of birds will come to such a feeder. They have to be seed eating birds - not insect eaters (like wagtails and redstarts), and they have to be small, unlike magpies and doves. I would guess your location is generally okay - looks like there's lots of greenery around for the birds to hide in.

You might try posting on the China subforum (click here)as well, since China-based people may see the question there - and they'll have more ideas about what other birds might be likely to come.

Daurian Redstarts don't only eat insects, I saw one on a berry bush this morning and the Opus says: "The diet includes insects, seeds and berries."
I took your advice and posted in the China forum with a link to this thread.

Yeah, the bulbuls also eat fruit, as do thrushes. I've experimented a little with raisins, but not very systematically. I didn't know that redstarts ate seeds. It will be interesting to see if they are interested in the feeder. I don't know about you, but south a bit we have lots of those Daurians, so the opportunity could be good. I guess it depends in part on birds being bold to try new food items or new sources.... Tits tend to be so curious that I think they could be a good species to lead others on.

By the way, what kinds of seeds are you trying?

I'm not sure what it's called, got it from the closest bird market where the man reccommended it for wild birds. We have another type as well, also from there if they don't like this.

I have been giving some real thought to establishing a feeding station since we moved out of the high-rise and to ground level with a small patio and gardening area. Since we moved in in November I haven't seen anything except Tree Sparrows in the compound, but I can look out our window and see the city park where I have had a good variety of birds. I have tried sunflower seeds on a ledge at the edge of the patio, but so far nothing has partaken. The Sparrows have set eyeing it from a tree a few meters away the last few days, but so far no takers.

Your feeder looks fine to me. Basically the same thing that I have successfully used often in the USA. The location looks generally good with nearby cover available. The problem is probably just that birds are not used to the feeder or even to looking for food in a residential location like this. Then there is the question of whether people will harass any birds that are attracted. You'll only know by trying.

I can't really tell for sure, but it looks like you might have white millet, which is often considered to be the best general wild bird food. Any millet might be the best bet as it is widely grown in China and hence more likely to be recognized as a food source by the birds. Openings are large enough that it should handle sunflower seed OK, so you might mix some in to attract birds like Tits. Black Oil Sunflower is the best nutrient wise, but probably harder to find in China. The larger White Striped Sunflower should work though. Make sure you get the raw, unroasted and unsalted. Peanuts, either in the shell or hulled (again unroasted and unsalted) in a tray feeder with some sunflower seed would attract things like the Magpies. A small percentage of peanut chips could be added to the tube feeder as could hulled sunflower seed. Whatever the birds are feeding on locally will do the best job of attracting them in the first place as it is what they are used to looking for. Cracked corn will be available as it is used as chicken feed, but only larger ground feeders like doves or starlings will eat it.

Your doing better than I am then. I even tried some bread crumbs a few days ago and they and the sunflower seeds still sit untouched. |:(|

The food has been being eaten slowly. It's gone down a little since I refilled it. I shook some of the food onto the ground and it got eaten as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back