• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Garden (1 Viewer)

Update on the swallows nesting in the alley way of our house. They are busy feeding a second brood. But having to stop quite a bit for the rain. I wonder now it's got colder if the chicks will fledge.

Update on the swallows nesting in the alley way of our house. They are busy feeding a second brood. But having to stop quite a bit for the rain. I wonder now it's got colder if the chicks will fledge.

Leaving it very late. Let's hope for a few bright and warmer days next week. Let us know how they get on.

Is it not very unusual to have nesting swallows in September,the young should fledge,its the few thousand miles they have to fly that can be the killer,Lets hope the weather picks up so they get fed well and fledge soon then they might have a fighting chance.
Good Garden Birding YAMYAM

In the Garden this week I had a Grey Heron Fly over on Tuesday, A party of 12 Canada Geese over on Thursday and there have been 4 Long Tailed Tits visiting the Feeders most days.

Just noticed this thread and would like t add my list to the one already on here I live on the out skirts of Halesowen. My house backs on to open fields with a small brook and a small line of trees so I have a good chance of a varied group species sightings up to 78 now my last being Woodcock on the 24/07/2013 flew from scrub land at bottom of garden towards Halesowen over the trees in to the fields just behind

List –

Blackbird, chaffinch, blue tit, great tit, robin, house sparrow, wood pigeon, magpie, chaffinch, greenfinch, jay, goldfinch, green woodpecker, cormorant, little owl, kestrel, carrion crow, linnet, lesser whitethroat, mallard, black headed gull, buzzard, song thrush, goldfinch, dunnock, wren, jackdaw, Mistle thrush, tree creeper, yellowhammer, pied wagtail, greylag goose, common gull, lesser black backed gull, raven, mute swan, sparrowhawk, blackcap, coal tit, golden plover, barnacle geese, house martin, swift, lapwing, swallow, red kite, sand martin, tawny owl, bullfinch, grey heron, long tailed tit, starling, pheasant, osprey, great spotted woodpecker, siskin, wheatear, redpoll, rook, mallard, collared dove, fieldfare, stock dove, redwing, nuthatch, woodcock, spotted flycatcher, herring gull, chiffchaff, barn owl, skylark, willow warbler, Canada geese, meadow pipit, grey wagtail, zebra finch (escapee’s) & white wagtail.

Must do more garden watching next year as I know there are many more I have missed by the lists some of neighbours have got

Hi Adrian, An Impressive Garden List you have there I would love to have Barn Owl and Wheatear on my Garden List please keep us updated with any additions,

Update on the swallows nesting in the alley way of our house. The chicks have fledged and are staying close to the nest in the alley way - not seen them fly out yet. The parents are busy feeding them.

Will keep up to date with any new additions and will in the new year be doing a photographed garden list by this I mean I will try and photograph ALL species seen in my garden or fly overs.

EDIT - For those who are interested the pair of Zebra Finch are still around and I am hoping to bring both birds inside for the winter as one of them is very tame these days and the other is just starting to feed from my hand so here's hoping we get a very happy ending.

Last edited:
Had some good garden birding of late with Goldcrest on Monday (30th Sept), Raven over garden yesterday (2nd) and a Blackcap (female) on the table today.

Highlights from a good couple of hours at the back window in the rain this morning -

Nuthatch, Chaffinch, Bullfinch, Red kite f/o, Jay, Wren and a Willow warbler in a flock of 20+ House sparrows in the bushes at the side of the garden.

Next door neighbour had a RED KITE on the shed roof again yesterday morning lucky bu---r I want one that close to my window (will ask him if I can upload a couple of photographs when his back from working in France)

Highlights from a good couple of hours at the back window in the rain this morning -

Nuthatch, Chaffinch, Bullfinch, Red kite f/o, Jay, Wren and a Willow warbler in a flock of 20+ House sparrows in the bushes at the side of the garden.

Next door neighbour had a RED KITE on the shed roof again yesterday morning lucky bu---r I want one that close to my window (will ask him if I can upload a couple of photographs when his back from working in France)

Hi Adrian

What county are you living in,West Mids or Worcs? Either way Red Kite is an exceptional record & the respective County Recorder would be interested in this sighting.

From your post the Red Kite has been around more than once which makes it even more interesting, especially one that becomes a garden tick!

Any more info?

Cheers Hughie.

The Goldfinch have been back to the garden and the Long Tailed Tit flock has now increased to 8 with Blue Tits and Great Tits joining them, I hope the feeding party builds in strength you never know want will join them.

The zebra finch are now indoors and looking good in my old indoor aviary in the spare room upstairs, todays highlights from the garden on a very wet sunday were -

Sparrowhawk, Nuthatch, Great spotted woodpecker, Jay, Jackdaw, Mistle thrush & Green woodpecker plenty of other finches & tits around plus the usual suspects.

Just got home from a 12 hour shift, I went down Garden to top up feeders, and sat in the silver birch at the bottom of the Garden was a very wet looking Jay this was new for my Garden list, but I have had them 2 min’s from the house flying from the park to the playing fields, so it was only a matter of time before one graced the Garden.

Just before it got dark last night I was putting some rubbish out when I turned around to go back in i looked up and picked up the tail end of 5 Swans flying away from me in the direction of Sandwell Valley, more than likely they were Mute Swans but you never know.

On Saturday the Tit Flock spent a lot of time at the bottom of the Garden, the flock was made up of Long Tailed Tit 11+, Great Tit 3+, Blue Tit 13+, Goldcrest x1 and a new bird for the Garden Treecreeper.

I know this is not a bird but hey thought I would share with you all Did you know according to a badger cull spokes person they had now gone under ground because of the cull well they lie this was taken about 15 minutes ago

Attachments

• 0001 (1).JPG
    0001 (1).JPG
    182.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 0001 (2).JPG
    0001 (2).JPG
    316.3 KB · Views: 64
I heard badgers were also 'moving the goalposts.' There is no scientific justification for the badger cull, just an excuse for a bit of old fashioned persecution of a legally protected species.

Great photo.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back