• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Garden (1 Viewer)

They were hoping for 70% cull and only got 40%....probably a load of "cowboys" who had no idea how to find a badger if it was run over by them.
Total waste of effort.....as you say just attempted mass murder.
Keith

Never mind the effort Keith, 5mill of tax payers money was wasted. These 'cowboys' were paid don't forget. And how did 2000 badgers 'disappear' for that matter?

@lesser kestrel I didn't know Badgers could play football but with the lies we've heard from these people about badgers I wonder if they will tell us that they have joined forces with another mammal and that the government now as a MOLE letting out secrets to the badgers on the locations of the cull.

They were hoping for 70% cull and only got 40%....probably a load of "cowboys" who had no idea how to find a badger if it was run over by them.
Total waste of effort.....as you say just attempted mass murder.
Keith
They still managed to kill 971 Badgers in Gloucestershire alone. I wonder how many had TB? probably just 1 or 2 but as they are not going to test the dead animals, we will never know.

I think that ALL badgers killed should be tested that way WE can all now the truth or do they already know the truth and won't test as they know it's a lie.

In previous tests, ie culls/sanctioned killings of badgers, less than 2% were proven positive. This meant that 98% were killed unnecessarily.
That fact that the current policy is not bothering to test dead animals would suggest they already know the answer and it is a policy to satisfy a few farmers, hooray henry's and thugs who enjoy killing wild animals.
Don't forget this is the same department that wants buzzards 'removed' from their nests to protect game bird chicks. What next, otters because they eat fish stocks?
Badgers are not the cause of bovine TB and to blame them is lazy science. It is also cheaper to shoot badgers than develop a vaccine. This was admitted by a government minister.
It was also demonstrated back in 2000, when foot and mouth broke out. Restrictions placed on the movement of cattle showed that bovine TB was contained and previously unexplained outbreaks were actually caused by the transportation of domestic herds to other parts of the country.
Even if badger free zones were created (a quite sinister euphemism) this would not eradicate bovine TB. Pursued to its desired conclusion, a 70% kill rate will make existing populations in many areas unsustainable and cause local extinction.
More reputable surveys indicate cattle are the primary carriers. Even Professor Krebbs (report of the same name) who recommended trials back in the late 1990's now says the current trials are ineffective and will only facilitate the spread of bovine TB.

Another myth circulating is the apparent increase in the number of badgers in the UK because they are now turning up towns. There has always been urban populations. Some are historical; others have migrated into the suburbs because of habitat loss caused by greenbelt development, especially along the urban fringe.

Last edited:
a very short list here for me... ;)

This should make you laugh....

I have never counted the fly overs as 'visitors to my garden' on my list.... maybe if I do the list would be a bit more impressive than this LOL

Robin
Dunnock
Blackbird
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Long Tailed Tit
Coal Tit
Crow
Mistle Thrush
Song Thrush
Black Cap
Wren
Magpie
Collared Dove
Wood Pigeon
Great Spotted Woodpecker (pair)
Goldfinch
Greenfinch
Chaffinch
House Sparrow
Sparrow Hawk

o:D

Lesser spotted woodpecker on the fatball feeders. Bought some really expensive suet and seed mix. Seems to have worked some magic. Second visit this winter. Didn't stay long after a greater spotted woodpecker landed on the adjacent feeder.
Only one blackbird. A year ago regularly saw a dozen. Few winter thrushes in the local park at the back. Green woodpecker heard, so in effect had all three today as garden birds.
The evening sky is always worth a check as hundreds of jackdaws, crows, stock doves and wood pigeons come into roost.

Tawny owl heard most nights.

Last edited:
Charlotte.

Wish my garden was still home to several species you have listed. Rarely see song thrush and there was a time mistle thrushes and collared doves were regularly breeding.
Accept there are a number of factors which have caused the decline of a number of birds, including habitat loss. But the green open space behind the house has remained unchanged for thirty years, so what has happened? Doesn't help that almost every household around here has got a moggie and my suspicion is cat predation is devastating the local wildlife. The RSPB and Mammal Society estimate that cats account for 70% of bird and small mammal fatalities each year. Some species are almost extinct locally. Frogs, toads, newts and slow-worms were annual. Now, all gone.

On the plus side, buzzards have bred. Would balance things out if they could put cat on the menu.
Maybe coincidental but grey squirrel numbers are down and have been for several years since the buzzards turned up.

Last edited:
Charlotte.

Wish my garden was still home to several species you have listed. Rarely see song thrush and there was a time mistle thrushes and collared doves were regularly breeding.
Accept there are a number of factors which have caused the decline of a number of birds, including habitat loss. But the green open space behind the house has remained unchanged for thirty years, so what has happened? Doesn't help that almost every household around here has got a moggie and my suspicion is cat predation is devastating the local wildlife. The RSPB and Mammal Society estimate that cats account for 70% of bird and small mammal fatalities each year. Some species are almost extinct locally. Frogs, toads, newts and slow-worms were annual. Now, all gone.

On the plus side, buzzards have bred. Would balance things out if they could put cat on the menu.
Maybe coincidental but grey squirrel numbers are down and have been for several years since the buzzards turned up.

Brilliant to have all 3 WOODPECKERS in your garden...especially fantastic to have lured the LESSER there...great work.

My Garden....now anyone who have been unfortunate to have been subject to one of my many rants about my garden and CATS will know I get to see almost NOWT birdwise there.Even the Wood Pigeons have stopped dropping in of late....could be they are feasting on local natural grub though.
I get a dunnock occasionally and a Robin as often as Xmas.There are Blackbirds,Blue Tits and House Sparrows that do fly overs now and then.

BUT yesterday I looked out of the bathroom window....I do this everyday in the hope of seeing a rarity flying over......and there were about at least 10 Blackbirds,,a few Redwing a chaffy male,Blue Tits and Crows/Magpies...none of therm officially in MY garden but I am claiming the ticking rights of everywhere I can see...LOL

I only have some old sad feeders at the moment as they have never been visited in 10 years or so BUT I am going to freshen it all up after Xmas with one of those all in one jobbies.....that will please any passing Sparrowhawk at least.....
Keith :t:

Attachments

• Canon 223 041.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 223 041.jpg low.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 91
  • Canon 223 023.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 223 023.jpg low.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 84
I'm lucky, lesser spots are still in the area, although they can be elusive. They were breeding until quite recently, favouring flowering cherry. However, some mastermind decided the trees were a danger to public safety and all were felled.
They did actually nest in one of the old oaks at the back of the garden one year.

On the flip slide, I never see house sparrows or starlings in the garden anymore. A lot has disappeared.

I agree about Cats, I do love all animals but they are little murderers. Mind you, I blame the owners; no one lets a dog out to roam free do they lol!

Problem is I think people have pets and then don't want to give them attention so they throw it outside. A cat is a 'convenient' pet.
I think habitat loss is the main point of irritation for me; I hate it when a neighbor cuts down a tree or hedge. Most people around by me probably don't even notice how many birds use the huge tree in my neighbor 2 doors down's garden. Last year my next door neighbor decided to prune their holly tree while the berries were on it! The poor birds I thought! coincidentally meal worm consumption in my garden went up.

Also; I have 3 squirrels that tag team my bird food. If only there were a buzzard near by to me LOL! they irritate the hell out of me. They dig up all my flowers too!

I was in my 'bird hide' (called a summer house by the majority of the population) this evening when all of the little birds got spooked; immediately it was eyes to the sky but something brown and striped caught my vision... it was a cat. It hadn't noticed me and was about a yard away from the hide window. I gave it a right shouting at and scared it away. Little so and so.

I am really glad I went up there today though to bird as I saw 3 collared doves! I knew we had a pair come visiting but I was very happy to see 3! .... plus I scared that cat off.

I had missed another bird off my previous comment list; I do have a pair of Bullfinches that come but only in spring time or when there is snow on the ground.

Mr Keith I hope you are not planning to use my favorite birds as a lure for Sparrow Hawks lol! 3:)

thanks for the replies everyone ;)
Charlotte

7th August 2013. My garden list in Tipton (over 30 years) is only 57 but includes goodies such as Black Redstart, Redstart, Lesser Whitethroat, Garden Warbler, Spotted Flycatcher and Brambling. I've also got a good population of circa 30 House Sparrows.
Geoff
Today I had a Peregrine hunting the neighbours racing pigeons over our garden, after three attempts it caught one. This is my 58th species and first new species for 7 years.
House Sparrow numbers have increased to a maximum of 60 but for the weekend garden birdwatch I could only get 42.
Geoff

This Morning I had a Green Woodpecker Fly over the Garden this being a new bird for the Garden List, 68.
Good Garden Birding YAMYAM

Magpies!!

We moved house and have now got a big oak tree in the garden which attracts a good number of birds. We've had a pair of GSWP as well as Jays and blackbirds. However this has made me realise how bossy and interfering Magpies are. The Jays were looking at nesting until the Magpies cleared them off. We've got a bushy evergreen tree and the Magpies made sure the blackbirds didn't nest there. Currently some Dunnock are checking it out and I don't think the Magpies will be too bothered with them. I was very pleased to see a M & F bullfinch also checking it out but they then moved on. Probably saw the nuisance Magpies coming. The best thing was I got a photo!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• BF.jpg
    BF.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 73
Swallows nesting in Quinton

That's a great list and this is a good idea for a thread. My garden or least my alley way this summer has seen a nesting pair of Swallows who had 4 chicks which have now fledged. It's great to see them sat on the telephone line over the house and getting fed. The parents can hover and feed them on the line!!

Last year the Swallows nested in our alley way in Quinton and had 2 broods. I think they arrived in June. This year they have arrived earlier and are busy repairing the nest, swooping in and out!! A great sight.

Dunnock chicks

At our old house last year we had Swallows nesting and I checked they've returned this year. We've moved now and I miss those Swallows. The new delight at the new house amongst all the visiting birds to the garden is a pair of Dunnock feeding on the lawn everyday. To help them I put a branch on the feeder and they use that as well. It was a great delight this weekend to at first see a couple Dunnock chicks with the parents and then four chicks with parents on the lawn getting fed!! Sweeeeet!!B :)

Last edited:
I had a Little Egret fly over the garden at 17:30 going in the general direction of Sheepwash.
Good Garden Birding YAMYAM

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back