• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My new lifer list - advice please and musings! (1 Viewer)

Julie50

Mostly in the Midlands :)
Supporter
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am redoing my Lifer List and would like your input and advice.

Firstly I like a paper and pen list - no online, excel etc tips please - I know it would be easier, better, more useful etc. But it’s just not for me!

My old list is literally that, although in theory alphabetical, I started it before I knew much so e.g. Little egret is under “L” and Great White under “G”.

This time I am planning to write down all the birds I might see - I have a new ring-bound A4 book :) Then add next to them where I have seen them, I know I should probably do when, but haven’t so far and it would take far too long to go back through all my day books - but then again I might leave space for that!…………

I am using the RSPB Britain’s Birds as my guide - happy for you to argue this choice amongst yourselves lol - but this is my choice! So it starts with “Wildfowl” and although this will probably go next to last for my list, with woodpeckers last, it has raised some interesting questions.

Do I have a separate section in each main section for “very rare”, “introduced” and “escapees“, put them in an “others” category or not bother?

What to do about sub-species? There are 3 listed for Brent geese!

Totally alphabetical within each main section, e.g. pochard would be away from red-crested pochard which would be next to red-breasted merganser, or do I put the Pochards, teals etc. together?

All ideas considered, the more the merrier! Looking at “water birds” now :)

So my partner’s just thrown a spanner in the works by suggesting index cards and a nice container - I feel a search of a well known internet site with which I have “prime” coming on………..

Still interested in your thoughts though!

Index cards are good, and kind of future proofed against the vagaries of taxonomy: if a bird moves from say Egretta to Ardea, just move the card with a strike-through of the scientific name. You can always leave a blank card in Egretta with a note confirming the move and new location.

The RSPB Book of British Birds is a noddy book for non-birders. Bad choice. Better, would be to download the British List from the BOU website and use that as the basis for your thought, whether ticking off on the list itself or using it to order your index cards. And while you're at it, order a copy of the Collins Guide prior to consigning the RSPB book to a charity shop.

As far as rarity or otherwise is concerned, each bird counts once on each list, so I would ignore it for the purposes of sectioning the list - just stick with taxonomy. All three Brent Geese go on the same card. They are just sub-species.

The alphabet is not your friend. Forget it.

You will find any system not based on what normal birders do to be inadequate, inconsistent with what you see on BF (if that matters to you) and ultimately frustrating.

John

Thanks for the input - will definitely go for index cards And have a think about order and categorisation - would have to be common names for me (at least at the start), but will add Genus and Species to it.

I have a Collins in my Birding Rucksack- what can I say - it’s in the car!

Thanks again :)

I haven't listed in 20 odd years, although when the county ornithological society restarted their database I did start submitting sightings to that (unarguably more useful in terms of conservation). Consequently my life list is what I can remember (so probably a few gaps...).

Index cards sound a good idea - be prepared for the odd name change and either lumping or splitting of species, so it probably is worth noting subspecies on the main card.

What you choose to do about escapees is entirely up to you - unless you're competatively listing, you're the jusge and jury of what counts!

Guide book wise the Collin's is the best illustrated guide and Wild Guide's Britain's Birds the best photo guide - personally I like having both.

I'm planning on starting a year list tomorrow for the first time in over two decades, whether I keep it up or not remains to be seen.

I'm always of the opinion that its each of our individual lists, and we should choose what works best for us individually. The index card thing sounds good, as it would allow you to include lots of other information as well. My recommendation would be trial and error, see what works best for you as time goes by.

Good luck!

I think index cards are a great idea.
The current taxonomic order would be how I would order it, if I followed this route.
I’d use Collins Bird Guide, decent copies should be hitting the second hand book shops now the new version is out.

I would record the name, where and the date too (important in my humble opinion)
Maybe you could include “year list” notes too

Interesting topic

Index cards are good, and kind of future proofed against the vagaries of taxonomy: if a bird moves from say Egretta to Ardea, just move the card with a strike-through of the scientific name. You can always leave a blank card in Egretta with a note confirming the move and new location.

The RSPB Book of British Birds is a noddy book for non-birders. Bad choice. Better, would be to download the British List from the BOU website and use that as the basis for your thought, whether ticking off on the list itself or using it to order your index cards. And while you're at it, order a copy of the Collins Guide prior to consigning the RSPB book to a charity shop.

As far as rarity or otherwise is concerned, each bird counts once on each list, so I would ignore it for the purposes of sectioning the list - just stick with taxonomy. All three Brent Geese go on the same card. They are just sub-species.

The alphabet is not your friend. Forget it.

You will find any system not based on what normal birders do to be inadequate, inconsistent with what you see on BF (if that matters to you) and ultimately frustrating.

John
I would second the suggestion of using the BOU checklist. Besides providing up-to-date taxonomy, this list also uses a category system. Category A and B birds are naturally occurring species of various degrees of rarity, while Category C species are introduced species with self-sustaining populations. My general sense is that most birders would feel comfortable counting in there list anything in these three categories. I would just place them in the proper order as indicated in the list, rather than separating them out.

It's not a bad idea to all keep track of other escapees and populations of introduced species that are not yet considered established (I do), but I keep such records separate from my life list and they don't count for the total.

For subspecies, there are a lot of dubious subspecies or subspecies that are probably not field identifiable. I'd only keep track of distinctive ones. If you want a list of distinctive subspecies, the subspecies groups listed in Clements/Ebird taxonomy is a useful starting point.

Hi all,

Firstly I like a paper and pen list - no online, excel etc tips please - I know it would be easier, better, more useful etc. But it’s just not for me!

My old list is literally that, although in theory alphabetical, I started it before I knew much so e.g. Little egret is under “L” and Great White under “G”.

This time I am planning to write down all the birds I might see - I have a new ring-bound A4 book :) Then add next to them where I have seen them, I know I should probably do when, but haven’t so far and it would take far too long to go back through all my day books - but then again I might leave space for that!…………

I am using the RSPB Britain’s Birds as my guide - happy for you to argue this choice amongst yourselves lol - but this is my choice! So it starts with “Wildfowl” and although this will probably go next to last for my list, with woodpeckers last, it has raised some interesting questions.

Do I have a separate section in each main section for “very rare”, “introduced” and “escapees“, put them in an “others” category or not bother?

Totally alphabetical within each main section, e.g. pochard would be away from red-crested pochard which would be next to red-breasted merganser, or do I put the Pochards, teals etc. together?

I keep my list in paper form. Front of book is year lists and at back I have life list. Also at back I have 'Appendices' for birds not included in life or year lists. Such as escapees, hybrids, interesting morphs (I.e. albino, leusotic forms etc), heard only birds and others. These lists follow a rule system I have devised which I have written right at the front. I'll add some photos. I wouldnt follow exactly like this as having some issues atm with categorising sub species in my list.

Attachments

• 16742578792541537616216813759059.jpg
    16742578792541537616216813759059.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 32
  • 16742579110261940093370973954865.jpg
    16742579110261940093370973954865.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
  • 16742579289059199928029376010287.jpg
    16742579289059199928029376010287.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
  • 16742579617108502894226017272974.jpg
    16742579617108502894226017272974.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 29
  • 16742579817337044490461152721836.jpg
    16742579817337044490461152721836.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 32
I keep my list in paper form. Front of book is year lists and at back I have life list. Also at back I have 'Appendices' for birds not included in life or year lists. Such as escapees, hybrids, interesting morphs (I.e. albino, leusotic forms etc), heard only birds and others. These lists follow a rule system I have devised which I have written right at the front. I'll add some photos. I wouldnt follow exactly like this as having some issues atm with categorising sub species in my list.
Same here. Year lists throughout with a section for year lifers, then life list in the back.

Thanks both. Just had a birthday 😄 So attached is my proposed card filling system. I think I‘m going English names on one side and Latin on the other!

Also the array of books I have used “in the field” to list my sightings.

Attachments

• 033B7C54-3AC1-45E1-94A9-8A231B5D766A.jpeg
    033B7C54-3AC1-45E1-94A9-8A231B5D766A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
  • B6B34F1F-F176-4C1D-9340-C451B4FB91EF.jpeg
    B6B34F1F-F176-4C1D-9340-C451B4FB91EF.jpeg
    916.3 KB · Views: 16
Hi all,
Hi all,

This might be a dumb question but what’s this about? A list of birds you’ve already seen? Or birds you want to?

So I have mused for a few months! I have gone for June 2017 as my start date, as that is when I first started writing down birds with confirmed ID. Annoyingly this misses a short-eared owl seen at the Roaches before I started birding seriously and somewhat less so the golden eagles I used to see on family holidays to Arran, amongst others! Also annoyingly for the first couple of years I did not write down the exact date sighted, I added them to a place list - all that changed on 15th August 2019 when I saw spoonbills, Buff-breasted sandpiper, long-billed dowitcher and black-necked grebe - what a day! I have collated all my sightings which, having discounted the black swan and pheasant, gives me a list of 137. I think I am going for the format pictured, but again am having another muse!

Attachments

• C04F6905-D81D-484F-AFDA-A1AB07294742.jpeg
    C04F6905-D81D-484F-AFDA-A1AB07294742.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 23
  • 6FCA81F3-86B3-4CB4-B59E-4B2F886933FB.jpeg
    6FCA81F3-86B3-4CB4-B59E-4B2F886933FB.jpeg
    1,007.9 KB · Views: 23

Users who are viewing this thread

Back