• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Homemade housemartin nest cup success. (1 Viewer)

Yesterday I put up a homemade housemartin nest cup. (I know it's late to expect any breeding at all I wanted to see if any juveniles would be interested to remember my house for next year or see if any would want roost.) After reading on a couple of British websites some recommended playing martin calls similar to playing swift calls. In about 20 minutes of playing the calls I had attracted a few birds I suspect from a nearby colony up the road. They all inspected the home by flying up to it and going inside. Once they knew it was there I stopped the calls and they've continued their interest today. I would definitely recommend making your own as its very cheap and you can make it look very realistic. Hopefully I'll have some breeding birds next year.

Any chance of a picture of the nest?

Did you take any pics while you were making it?

Any chance of a picture of the nest?

Did you take any pics while you were making it?
IMG_20220814_155328.jpg
Here's a picture of it up under the soffit. The picture makes the colour look very dark. It's quite a bit lighter in real life.
I don't have any pictures of the making sadly. Firstly I covered an old bowl with a bag or newspaper and taped it down. I then mixed filler with some wet clay soil with a higher ratio of filler to make it stronger. Then I cut out a small opening. Let it set then attach to a backboard. I used gorilla glue. I then (optionally) put little pellets of mud with bits of straw to make it look realistic.

That's an excellent job!!!

It really does look quite realistic. If you have the wherewithall... they do nest colonially, so they'd like a few friends as neighbours too;)

Thanks so much for showing it to us.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back