• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My short and simple take on the Meopta Meostar 10x42HD (3 Viewers)

That might be true on the 8x32, but I thought we were discussing 10x42's. The Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42 has 93% transmission and the Meopta Meostar HD 10x42 has 84% transmission. That is almost a 10% difference and will certainly be noticeable in the brightness of the binocular. I know when I compared the Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42 to the Meopta Meostar HD 10x42 under different lighting conditions, there was an obvious difference in brightness.

It's easy to get hung up on brightness. And Zeiss always have bright images. I wouldn't disagree, but brighter doesn't always necessarily give a better picture.
It's why some folk prefer Leica, which aren't the brightest, but offer different characteristics.
Brightness isn't the be all and end all to everyone, or we'd all be using Habichts!!

The Meostars are brighter than my Swaro 8x25's.... but my Swaros are superb in anything but late evening.

I've owned Conquest and Abbe FL's and they are incredibly bright.
But I can still see the same object/animals with Swaro's, Leica's, Nikon's, Meoptas.... just a different flavour.

I prefer the Meostar image to the Conquest, regardless of anyones' write ups, or I would be looking through Conquests right now.
They produce a better QUALITY image. You have to remember, I wasn't looking to buy, and didn't need them.... but they were good enough for me to get my wallet out.

Last edited:
It's easy to get hung up on brightness. And Zeiss always have bright images. I wouldn't disagree, but brighter doesn't always necessarily give a better picture.
It's why some folk prefer Leica, which aren't the brightest, but offer different characteristics.
Brightness isn't the be all and end all to everyone, or we'd all be using Habichts!!

The Meostars are brighter than my Swaro 8x25's.... but my Swaros are superb in anything but late evening.

I've owned Conquest and Abbe FL's and they are incredibly bright.
But I can still see the same object/animals with Swaro's, Leica's, Nikon's, Meoptas.... just a different flavour.

I prefer the Meostar image to the Conquest, regardless of anyones' write ups, or I would be looking through Conquests right now.
They produce a better QUALITY image. You have to remember, I wasn't looking to buy, and didn't need them.... but they were good enough for me to get my wallet out.
I agree. But I think brightness is an important parameter that contributes to the quality of the view. It depends on how you are using your binoculars also. Are you using them under a canopy or early in the morning or at dusk? Brightness can be essential to a lot of people, and having a higher transmitting binocular can even allow you to carry a smaller and lighter binocular with a smaller aperture and get similar performance than carrying a bigger, heavier binocular with a bigger aperture with lower transmission. The weird thing is higher transmission is more significant in daylight than aperture size, and a bigger aperture is more essential under low light. I love a high transmitting binocular like the Habicht because in the daytime it just "sparkles" like magic. For me, it is very addictive. Here is a review on the Meopta Meostar HD 12x50 from Allbinos. They mention the lower transmission and slight yellowish tint, which I noticed in the Meostar HD 10x42. Not objectionable, but still there if yellow tint bothers you. If you look at Meostar transmission graphs, they are more yellowish compared to the Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42.

"The coloring is very pleasantly warm. A delicate yellowish hue with orange overtone is easy on the eye; you can really get used to it, of course, providing you don't compare it to a pair of binoculars with a perfect color rendition. Still in this area the Meopta lags behind the best instruments, so we think, with the price of the binoculars exceeding 1000 Euro its transmission needs some further improvements."

Attachments

• 166084_meopta_meostar_trans.jpg
    166084_meopta_meostar_trans.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 163771_trans_conquest.jpg
    163771_trans_conquest.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I think you made a great purchase with the 10X42 HD and I agree with your overall assessment of them. They are built like a mini-tank and optically they are very impressive over a variety of conditions and excel in difficult lighting conditions over many competitors. If I were back in 10X territory I would not hesitate to get them again.

My former pair is with a good friend nowadays, I had a perfect sample and I can occasionally miss the 10x42HD, but it is also only a phone call away.

I ended up keeping my Meostar 12x50HD which is optically every bit as good as the 10x42HD - albeit in a much larger package. However with the Swarovski Pure 8x32 NL the 10x42HD ended up being too close to both the other two while the 8x and the 12x being a better pairing for my needs.

10x and above have the ability to focus "through" branches and vegetation that I find very useful in birding and other viewing, something 8x and below doesn't do as well so for an "only" pair I would have kept the 10x42HD. Now the usage is 70/30 between the Pure NL and the Meostar 8/12x but after the latest bird outing I decided to use the 12x more and not leave it behind. Had some really nice sightings and I felt I missed out on some great views with the 12x.

So had the chance today to play with an NL 10x42 Pure next to my Meoptas in the hide.
I nearly didn't, as I was worried It would ruin my Meoptas. But curiosity won, I picked them up and had a play.

And I'm really glad I did !!
The Swaro view is flatter, a bit wider, slightly brighter...... but I have to say, not actually any better. Resolution was indistinguishable.
I actuall PREFERRED the slightly more colourful view of the Meoptas, it looked nicer. The Swaro was clinical in comparison.
Small details, distant tree tops etc showed no real advantage on either.
Swaro Build is exceptional, great feel, lighter, but the Meoptas are certainly not lacking in their build. Bit more utilitarian tank like, and heavier.

I was completely blown away by how the Meoptas stood their ground against those top Swaros.
So much so that I have to say if I had blown the money on NL's.... this test would have quite naffed me off. They were just different, but not better.
I am not a flat field fanatic, and I don't seem to really appreciate wide views, so these benefits, which account for some of the expense of the Pures are not a major concern to me.

These Meoptas are quite something...... really impressed 3 weeks in.

I have the 8x32 NL Pure, and the Meopta Meostar 12x50HD. Love them both. The Meopta does not lag behind the Swarovski optically and they are a great pairing.

Last Sunday on an outing my friend had his Meostar 10x42HD with add on sun shield (rubber eye cups) and all three binos felt great in use.

The extra % in transmission on the Swaro is probably nice in dull weather but on a bright day the Meopta binos had a better gradient looking at birds on a power line. There was an aluminium bar on one tower that was washed out on the Swaro in the harsh light but on the Meoptas you could see the transition from shadow to bright aluminium.

Overall I like the Swaro the best but last couple of outings I have used the 12x50HD the most, on a monopod. Stellar optics.

I don’t know how I would go about it today but previously I had the 15x56 Meopta, which edged out the Swarovski SLC 15x56 for me. Also I tried the 12x Pure NL but did not part with the Meopta 15x until I got to try the Meopta 12x50 which suits my needs better with regards to eye relief with glasses.

I could easily live with a Pure NL 12x but at that price point I will rather stick with the Meostar 12x. Also I thought the Pure NL 12x42 as well as the SLC 15x56 were edged out by my Meopta binos in harsh, back lit conditions.

I really loved the Meostar 10x42 B1 Plus I had but the Swaro 8x32 is so good I don’t need a 10x and think my 8/12 combo does the job. I have a standing offer to buy the 10x back if he tires of it but I am afraid the usage would be low.

I will always be torn between a great 8x and a great 10x bino - so far the best remedy has been the Meopta 12x 😁

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back