• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Swarovski EL 8.5x42 Review (2 Viewers)

Gdavis248

United States
These Swaros are my first pair of "Alpha" level binoculars and just fyi, I am not a professional optics reviewer. Just a regular guys opinion and observations.

I was upgrading from mid-tier level ~$500 binoculars which were good but I just knew there had to be more. Just a quick short history, I've spent time with some Vortex Vipers, Nikon Monarch 7's, and currently own some Kowa BD II XD (all 8x42). But I kept reading about how great top tier binoculars like Swarovski were. I know there are other brands but for whatever reason I was drawn to Swarovski.

Once I got my hands on these I could immediately tell they are a high quality product. I love the fit and finish of the binoculars. The rain guards fit perfectly with a satisfying hold. I love the attachment system of the eye cups, it is very clean and they pop in and out easily but feel secure. I love the unique strap connection system. They include different mounts so you can attach traditional straps other than the unique Swarovski attachment. The only downside here, which I will admit, is baffling given the price- they do not come with a case of any kind, just a bag. Oh well. There are a few other small accessories and paperwork.

Then we get to the view, which is what we all care about right? The first thing I notice is just the overall clarity of the image. It is SO clear and crisp. You may think your current binoculars are sharp that I'm convinced until you look through a top tier binocular, you don't really know sharpness. These are crisp and clear literally all the way to the edge. There is no "sweet spot" because the entire view is sweet. They are wonderfully bright in perfectly lit conditions, however, they really shine in more dim light like at dawn/dusk. I’ve used these binoculars to view birds in my backyard until well after sunset. There is virtually no chromatic aberration visible until the final ~5% of the outer edges and even then you really have to look for it. The depth of focus is also better than all other binoculars I've used and focus wheel feels smooth and light.

Another big point, I am a glasses wearer and some binoculars can be very finnicky when it comes to placement and eye relief. Not so with these! With 20mm of eye relief it is so nice to have a pair that I can use with virtually no hassle while wearing my glasses. I bring them up and every time I have a perfect image.

Lastly, I would say the main thing I have noticed with these is just how easy on my eyes they are. All pairs of binoculars I’ve had in the past would eventually give me some type of eye strain. Some are much better or worse than others, but it seemed like no matter how good, I could only look through them for a while before my eyes started to feel tired. With these Swarovski EL’s, I have not experienced this feeling once! And I have been so captivated by the view that I can hardly stop looking through them when I put them up to my face. To me, this fact alone is almost enough to justify the price tag.

Overall, I highly recommend these binoculars! You will not be disappointed.

Attachments

• IMG_9915.JPG
    IMG_9915.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 160
  • IMG_9922.JPG
    IMG_9922.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 145
  • IMG_9923.JPG
    IMG_9923.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 151
  • IMG_9919.JPG
    IMG_9919.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 160
These Swaros are my first pair of "Alpha" level binoculars and just fyi, I am not a professional optics reviewer. Just a regular guys opinion and observations.

I was upgrading from mid-tier level ~$500 binoculars which were good but I just knew there had to be more. Just a quick short history, I've spent time with some Vortex Vipers, Nikon Monarch 7's, and currently own some Kowa BD II XD (all 8x42). But I kept reading about how great top tier binoculars like Swarovski were. I know there are other brands but for whatever reason I was drawn to Swarovski.

Once I got my hands on these I could immediately tell they are a high quality product. I love the fit and finish of the binoculars. The rain guards fit perfectly with a satisfying hold. I love the attachment system of the eye cups, it is very clean and they pop in and out easily but feel secure. I love the unique strap connection system. They include different mounts so you can attach traditional straps other than the unique Swarovski attachment. The only downside here, which I will admit, is baffling given the price- they do not come with a case of any kind, just a bag. Oh well. There are a few other small accessories and paperwork.

Then we get to the view, which is what we all care about right? The first thing I notice is just the overall clarity of the image. It is SO clear and crisp. You may think your current binoculars are sharp that I'm convinced until you look through a top tier binocular, you don't really know sharpness. These are crisp and clear literally all the way to the edge. There is no "sweet spot" because the entire view is sweet. They are wonderfully bright in perfectly lit conditions, however, they really shine in more dim light like at dawn/dusk. I’ve used these binoculars to view birds in my backyard until well after sunset. There is virtually no chromatic aberration visible until the final ~5% of the outer edges and even then you really have to look for it. The depth of focus is also better than all other binoculars I've used and focus wheel feels smooth and light.

Another big point, I am a glasses wearer and some binoculars can be very finnicky when it comes to placement and eye relief. Not so with these! With 20mm of eye relief it is so nice to have a pair that I can use with virtually no hassle while wearing my glasses. I bring them up and every time I have a perfect image.

Lastly, I would say the main thing I have noticed with these is just how easy on my eyes they are. All pairs of binoculars I’ve had in the past would eventually give me some type of eye strain. Some are much better or worse than others, but it seemed like no matter how good, I could only look through them for a while before my eyes started to feel tired. With these Swarovski EL’s, I have not experienced this feeling once! And I have been so captivated by the view that I can hardly stop looking through them when I put them up to my face. To me, this fact alone is almost enough to justify the price tag.

Overall, I highly recommend these binoculars! You will not be disappointed.
If you haven't already, check out the stars on a clear night.
Enjoy!

they do not come with a case of any kind, just a bag.
What does this "bag" look like? The only time I've seen that before was on a Maven B3 which was a "~$500 mid-tier binocular". Before becoming a stripped-down "Classic"(?), ELs came with the FBP-M case which also fit the now discontinued SLC 42; I wonder whether it's even still made.

Anyway, congratulations!

Congrats! It looks great one glad you like it!

I have to admit I'm more than a little disappointed that Swarovski doesn't include a CASE with TWO THOUSAND plus dollar binocular!
I agree! I was pretty…miffed. I honestly wasn’t aware of until I opened the box. I just assumed. It’s about my only knock against them. But I was able to find a Maven brand one on the big A for $20. It gets the job done!

What does this "bag" look like? The only time I've seen that before was on a Maven B3 which was a "~$500 mid-tier binocular". Before becoming a stripped-down "Classic"(?), ELs came with the FBP-M case which also fit the now discontinued SLC 42; I wonder whether it's even still made.

Anyway, congratulations!

Here’s a pic. It’s fine as far as bags go. But as for a protector of $2k bins, it is lacking.

Attachments

• E5A29756-64F4-4EDE-83CB-CB83F5EE7BDB.jpeg
    E5A29756-64F4-4EDE-83CB-CB83F5EE7BDB.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 114
I am pleased you like the 8.5x42 SV, and thanks for posting your thoughts. This size and model, has been around since
when introduced in 1999. Some things said about this binocular are it is the "Universal Distance Viewer", and it offers a
"picture window" view.
Enjoy your new binocular in good health.
Jerry

Nice write up and congrats with your new bin! I like the 8.5x42 format, i have an old Swift Audubon 8.5x44 and it still gives a pleasant view. But this bag….?

That's odd, my 2015 vintage EL SV 8.5x42 (pre-FieldPro) shipped with a proper nylon zippered case. I didn't like it all that much, it was too bulky. I wonder if this decontenting is a cost-saving measure like the replacement of the expensive close-focus mechanism in the knob in the post-NL versions.

The objective covers on yours are nicer than on mine, where you just have silicone retaining rings to stretch around the barrel instead of the special tab that slots onto notches in the barrel. The eyepiece covers are also the same as my NL Pures, rather than the ones on my EL which had click stops, which made it easy to maintain the IPD setting.

Last edited:
Here another happy 8.5 x 42 EL SV owner (since 2011) :)

For people wo don't wear glasses, a big improvement / add-on that for some unknown reason very few people use is eyecups! Blocks out the light entering from the sides, which in many cases is a great improvement for very little additional money.

Screenshot 2022-06-23 100820.png

I own a pair of 10x42 Swarovski ELs and a pair of 8x32 Swarovski ELs. Both are approximately 10 years old, so both have the padded zipped case.
I bought the 10x42 pair new and the 8x32 pair second hand a few months ago.
Both are absolutely superb.

Congratulations on your new binoculars and I hope they continue to be a joy to use

That's odd, my 2015 vintage EL SV 8.5x42 (pre-FieldPro) shipped with a proper nylon zippered case. I didn't like it all that much, it was too bulky. I wonder if this decontenting is a cost-saving measure like the replacement of the expensive close-focus mechanism in the knob in the post-NL versions.

The objective covers on yours are nicer than on mine, where you just have silicone retaining rings to stretch around the barrel instead of the special tab that slots onto notches in the barrel. The eyepiece covers are also the same as my NL Pures, rather than the ones on my EL which had click stops, which made it easy to maintain the IPD setting.

A few bird guides in my place uses that zippered case as a sling bag for bird book, portable audio recorder because of its water resistant function too

Like Zeiss and Leica, over the years Swarovski has provided a variety of carry bags for their binoculars.
Apart from issues of cost and sourcing, there’s the inevitable problem that no one style will please everyone.

The 5 most recent Swarovski styles, going from the oldest to newest are:
A) a minimal bag that could be used while attached to the binocular by the neck strap
(alternatively it could be threaded on a belt, but there's no provision for a shoulder strap); from a 2017 eBay listing by ray8667

B) the Functional Bag, another minimal design that could also be used while attached to the binocular by the neck strap
(or threaded on a belt, but not hung from a shoulder strap); from a 2014 eBay listing by leviandjamie5911

C) the original Field Bag, larger and more padded, and with interior pockets;
the second image shows how an SLC x42 can fit in the x30/ 32 version, from Roger at: Swarovski 10x42 SLC HD Review

D) the newer and still available Field Bag Pro; from: Swarovski Field Bag L Pro

E) the FSB Functional Side Bag, introduced with the NL x42; the last image shows how the binocular is carried on its side,
from: Swarovski NL Pure binoculars, 12x42 - test & review

John

Attachments

• Minimal Bag.jpg
    Minimal Bag.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 74
  • Functional Bag.jpg
    Functional Bag.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 72
  • Field Bag (old).jpg
    Field Bag (old).jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 75