• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mysterious UK Bird call - Help Requested (2 Viewers)

Hi guys - I am new to the forum, hailing from the UK. Been actively interesting in birds for around 30 odd years, however this mysterious bird call - encountered in the Sandwell Valley, West Midlands, UK - has me totally clueless. It comes from an area of thick woodland near an enclosed farm, which I can't get close enough to get a visual unfortunately, but it always seems to come from the same tree. I also find it really weird that I have never heard this call before ever, anywhere else?
Any help most appreciated! (It's the melodic warbly sound at the start of the audio).
View attachment bird.mp4

Hello,
welcome to birdforum from me, too.
I agree with Stonefaction, that one of the good mimetic species might well be the right answer.
So its either a Jay or an exotic cagebird. Maybe its possible to ask the peoples at the farm, if they are missing a bird?

Hi SandwellVern and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Welcome to BF.

I'm lost - can't hear such a sound. What time-range is it in exactly?
You mean we are to ignore the long clear whistles and 'chook chook' sounds that are the most prominent elements of the recording?
Hi - apologies, should have been more specific. You can hear it from 3 seconds and 13 seconds of the recording. Kind of like a high pitched flutey call? Yes - please ignore the "chook chook" sounds. :)

Hello,
welcome to birdforum from me, too.
I agree with Stonefaction, that one of the good mimetic species might well be the right answer.
So its either a Jay or an exotic cagebird. Maybe its possible to ask the peoples at the farm, if they are missing a bird?
Could it possibly be a Jay (or similar) mimicking an emergency services siren?
Thanks for the replies and welcomes! You know, I did notice a couple of Jays in the area, which piqued my interest. Have heard of their mimicking skills, so may explore this possibility further. Much appreciated. (y)

There are whistling sounds also between 21 sec and 37 sec which seem sure to have the same origin as the opening long clear whistles. Like Alex, I thought of something in a cage. I don't hear anything suggestive of mimicry.

There are whistling sounds also between 21 sec and 37 sec which seem sure to have the same origin as the opening long clear whistles. Like Alex, I thought of something in a cage. I don't hear anything suggestive of mimicry.
Thanks Butty. Some other folk I played this call too suggested that as well. I did ask staff at the farm and I was looked at like I may have needed an ambulance :confused:. Might pay them another visit to see if there are any exotics on site. (y)

Not a Jay, but the start of this Blackbird clip does sound (to me) a lot like the call on the recording - which sounds like an emergency vehicle siren, hence the suggestion of mimicry.

EDIT : Another one -

Not a Jay, but the start of this Blackbird clip does sound (to me) a lot like the call on the recording - which sounds like an emergency vehicle siren, hence the suggestion of mimicry.

That's totally blown my mind. Have to admit, there are elements of the call which sound similar.

Wow - that has opened my eyes somewhat... 😐

Not a sound I have heard but I am in the Blackbird camp. They can make some very unusual calls - one local bird to me does a very good Curlew impression phrase at the start of some of its songs.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back