• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery Bird from Malta (1 Viewer)

Dear all birders and ornithologists on birdforum.net

I have this photograph of a strange bird species taken in Malta recently at Wied Fulija this month. I'm Maltese myself by birth and nationality and a local zoologist, so I'm pretty much familiar with most avian species which lives in and/or comes to Malta. However, this bird has me wondering if it's either our local Blue Rock-thrush (Monticola solitarius) or something else entirely. I've enhanced the photograph a few times on lighting and colour aspects and apparently there's a pronounced black mask on the bird's face (too much for a blue rock-thrush), and a white throat bib??. I have sent both the enhanced photo and the original for maximum ID. Can anyone tell me what is this thing by certainty?? Thank you.

Attachments

• Maltese Mystery Bird (The Original).jpg
    Maltese Mystery Bird (The Original).jpg
    844 KB · Views: 159
  • Maltese Mystery Bird (Enhanced).jpg
    Maltese Mystery Bird (Enhanced).jpg
    888.7 KB · Views: 164
Can't see anything to stop it being adult male blue rock thrush. Proportions, dark upperbody, and dark lore are fine. Much of it's in shade so impossible to judge colours. There's no white throat apparent.

I'm certainly seeing a lighter throat and some kind of mask, don't know if the throat would be white if in full sun. My first impression was of some kind of Wheatear!

I don't see anything on even the brightened up image that excludes blue rock thrush.
Darker wings, all dark tail, dark eyes and overall body shape are all good.
It's in the right place at the right time.

Compare with this image which shows an apparent paler throat and dark mask.

To my eye, given the quality of the shot and not forgetting (the date), a resemblance might be compared…ie the mask and blue grey head and what does seem to be a paler throat?
Ok. But from my computer there seems to be a paler throat. Possibly from the lighting. But either way, I do think that it's most probably a blue-rock thrush or a wheatear species. But most likely, a blue rock thrush. Thanks again.

Can't make this into a wheatear either personally
It could perhaps be a northern or black-eared wheatear. But its still a bit early for both species to show up right now in Malta. Still possible though, especially with all this warmer winter weather. Nevertheless, I do think that its most probably a blue rock thrush under some strange lighting effects in the original.

It’s a pretty rare bird there and honestly doesn’t give me accentor vibes. I think this is most likely a blue rock thrush.
No it doesn't look like an accentor from it's overall jizz. However, almost every year we get an Alpine accentor on Malta or Gozo; usually on the highest points of the islands.

Based on jizz and general colouration, I'm only seeing Blue Rock Thrush. Does Malta get Wheatears in winter?
Soon. Malta gets a variety of wheatear species; with 9 species having been recorded, but only 4 species visit Malta regularly and again all between Mid-March till early June. However, the Isabelline wheatear and the desert wheatear are the only two which have been known to visit Malta right about now (at the earliest) and are in fact one of Malta's earliest spring migrants.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back