• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery Seashore organism (4 Viewers)

Joern Lehmhus said:
no idea...any more photos?

Some sea snails produce strange egg masses; also I was thinking of Ascidians or tunicates, or perhaps a Cirripedian (some these tropical barnacle relatives)...but nuffing really fits...

Alas No Joerm. I eally expected to find what it was within seconds of opening the guide to sea shores and shallow Seas!

Jane Turner said:
I did think about one of those growths you get on Right Whales - but aren't those califerous?

I have no idea what 'califerous' means, but if you thought what you found may be some kind of skin growth, perhaps we're thinking along the same lines here.

Deborah

I imagine that Jane has just mistyped "calciferous" - "bearing or producing or containing calcium or calcium carbonate or calcite".

I get a vague sense of familiarity with this thing, and I can't shake the idea that it's an egg case of some sort.

Hope you don't mind, Jane, but I forwarded your photo and some of your description as to its heft and feel to a friend who's a pro underwater photographer and long-time scuba diver, who didn't have a clue, so she forwarded it to a NOAA scientist friend of hers who's literally done research in about every patch of saltwater there is. Hopefully he'll have some idea. :t:

When I first saw it, I thought it looked like a folded up mini-frog. ;)

deborah4 said:
I have no idea what 'califerous' means, but if you thought what you found may be some kind of skin growth, perhaps we're thinking along the same lines here.

Deborah

Its like calciferous, but spelled incorrectly - sorry ;)

Jane Turner said:
Its like calciferous, but spelled incorrectly - sorry ;)

No problem: I wouldn't have known what calciferous was either until I checked on Web . :t: I've also been reading up on lesions, fungal and viral epidermal symptons of larger marine mammals - there's plenty of info on-line but not easy to interpret for non-marine biologists! :scribe: It's depressing reading as many of these deformities are linked to anthropogenic pollutants.

What u described certainly doesn't sound calciferic (great word eh!) maybe Kathy's contacts come up with something - let's hope whatever it is, it is not symptomatic of a deeper problem with our marine life that we are not yet aware of.

It wouldn't be some sort of tunicate would it? are there any holes that squirt water when you squeeze it? I don't suppose there are any other photos are there?

Katy Penland said:
Hope you don't mind, Jane, but I forwarded your photo and some of your description as to its heft and feel to a friend who's a pro underwater photographer and long-time scuba diver, who didn't have a clue, so she forwarded it to a NOAA scientist friend of hers who's literally done research in about every patch of saltwater there is. Hopefully he'll have some idea. :t:

When I first saw it, I thought it looked like a folded up mini-frog. ;)

I remember finding those things on the beach back home in Northumberland. I can't remember what they were now - but I think it is either eggs or possibly a "sea potato". Did you try cutting it to see inside?

I know it not a Sea Potato - I see them regularly. I rather wish I had cut inside it now. i can see a trip back out to Conway being likely at this rate!

I think you modelled it out of Flymo (or whatever it's called), then photographed it and stuck it on here as a prank. Either that or it really is a bit of chicken (there's a KFC at Llandudno Junction). Am I right? Do I win £5?

Gus

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back