• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery Seashore organism (1 Viewer)

Hi Jane, I found one of those things on the tideline a couple of years ago and took it to the Wardens at Dawlish Warren.They said it was related to the prehistoric trilobite(spelling?) crabs with tails, Y'know the things.
Never seen any more.

Really - not wishing to sound skeptical, especially with someone who has seen one, but it didn't feel like much like an arthropod - being all rubbery!

Got a reply from the scientist friend of my diving friend ;) :

"I checked out the picture and the item could be a few different things depending on what it feels like and how heavy it is. My first guess is some kind of egg pod but that is off the top of my head. I can't say that I have seen anything like it so I would have to examine the item more closely.

"Sorry I couldn't be more help."

He's working off Molokai, Hawaii, right now. I don't suppose there's any way to ship him this puppy? ;)

Its heavy Katy - like solid rubber.

The good news is that there is a third specimen, currently in a jar of salt water in Conwy, waiting to be brought over. Expect better photos soon.

Hi Jane,
The thing I found was a similar size and shape but crunchy and shell like.
Nothing like rubber at all.

Terry Wogans' brain has been missing for a number of years now,post it in to Radio 2.

That's great, Jane. Look forward to more stats/photos. I know that Eric, the scientist dude, will be extremely interested in more info. :t:

I still think it's an elaborate hoax Jane. You're going to spill the beans on April Fool's Day next year aren't you? Come on, own up now. Where's my fiver?

Gus

After another close look I'm now convinced it's a little-known fossilised flying ancestor of the now familiar earth-bound broccoli, known to us palaentologists as brassicasaurus avientis, probably quite abundant in the Jurassic, although what it's doing in North wales is anybody's guess.
Can I have my £5 now please?

Gus

I have the sample in my possesion. More accurately I forgot about it and left it decaying in a jar. I'm 95% sure its a soft coral - or more likely it was a soft coral before it degenerated into a putrid mess reinforced with spicules!

With all the hurricanes and tsunamis and such, it could have been washed from the Bermuda Triangle area. Leave it locked in the trunk (boot) of your car. Whatever you do, Don't put it in your bedroom!

Last edited:
Duh! Sorry, I'm new to the net and this site. I didn't notice what the date on this was or that there was more than the first page until after I wrote my smart alecky comment. Is there a way for me to down load the original letter and picture? My dad's an (retired) oceanographer. Perhaps he could help, if the mystery is still a mystery. If I could email the info to him, he could take a look.

Peregrinator

Jane Turner said:
I have the sample in my possesion. More accurately I forgot about it and left it decaying in a jar. I'm 95% sure its a soft coral - or more likely it was a soft coral before it degenerated into a putrid mess reinforced with spicules!

If the spicules are seperate, silica-like slivers, then it could be a partly-decayed sponge. If the reinforcement is more like a cage then it could indeed be a soft coral. Not all sponges leave a traditional bath-sponge skeleton when they die.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back