• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Name a bird for each letter of the alphabet- (7 Viewers)

Bewick

Connoisseur of WTL
United Kingdom
1. Whatever bird has been chosen for A will decide what category each subsequent bird must be in for the game to continue.
2. Scientific names can be used and their regional names can also be used.
3. A bird cannot be repeated for more than one letter.
4. The first game will only allow birds that are found in Europe and the US. Subsequent rounds follow whatever category goven with the bird under A.
5. No googling, your answer must come from you.
6. If no bird can be applied for a letter then two birds must be listed for the next letter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Huh!!! After searching and searching to find out what you meant finally spotted your comment in post 2 (you'll have to make some mention of that in post 1 methinks.

Anyway....

Eurasian Treecreeper

Huh!!! After searching and searching to find out what you meant finally spotted your comment in post 2 (you'll have to make some mention of that in post 1 methinks.

Anyway....

Eurasian Treecreeper
That's just an unfortunate double meaning of the word 'Order' (and was mentioned in Post #1 Rule 1) ;-)

(I thought Treecreepers may be near-passerines, but turns out not).

@Bewick - is this restricted to eg N Hemisphere birds (in this round?) as it could get a bit silly/long if not?

@Bewick - is this restricted to eg N Hemisphere birds (in this round?) as it could get a bit silly/long if not?
Oh no!! I wouldn't be able to play my Oz birds. LOL

I'd soon be out <sob sob>

Oh no!! I wouldn't be able to play my Oz birds. LOL

I'd soon be out <sob sob>
Ha ...

(But if you did you might be on your own ... ;-) )

As it is, I expect it would be wrong to change the rules halfway (well, one three thousandth?) of the way through. (But I do prefer the idea of doing one country or so at a time to make it manageable/less interminable)

Another version of this (with more unpredictability), is the next bird name has to start with the last letter of the word just played ... so after Aquatic WarbleR we have to start with an R ... although the R's run out pretty soon that way ;-) But just start a new game).

Oh and Rule 4 should be no googling to find bird names...

You mean you don't start again with A for the second round?
You do but the person who finishes the last game starts the new game- the bird they decide on will dictate what order everyone must use for that game. Though honestly I’m fine for rule changes to spice up the game.

Honestly let’s restrict the game to Europe and the US for this first game. So any bird found in Europe or the US is acceptable in this current game. I’ll edit the rules.

You do but the person who finishes the last game starts the new game- the bird they decide on will dictate what order everyone must use for that game. Though honestly I’m fine for rule changes to spice up the game.

Maybe it might
I expect it could be whatever rules get chosen ... my error in assuming it was the way played in the past . We used to play car journeys going through the alphabet as many times as we could (and skipping if nothing could be found) for british birds, fruit and veg, car makes and models etc etc

Fair enough - I was dreading this turning into a list of 'birds seen' and xxxx number of obscure species.

Your way sounds like it will work ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back