• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Name a Bird You've Seen 2 (1 Viewer)

Another newly-available one, and for once it was easy to work out. Will did a trip report for Cote d'Ivoire mentioning his lifer Yellow White-eye, so that was Northern and the new Angola White-eye is now available. That's subspecies kasaicus, heinrichi and quanzae for those who worry about such things.

Oh, that's a pianful memory - that one was heard by us on Mt Cameroon, but just couldn't see it, a difficult dip to repair...
I'll try to forget it with a happier memory - another bushshrike that also shares an olive green back and tail:
#9203 Uluguru Bushshrike
Bushshrike, Cuckooshrike, same thing, right?

#9204 Manus Cuckooshrike, and we're back (on dry land!) in the Bismarcks.

Gifts from the IOC are arriving thick and fast. One of today's is easy for our purposes - most countries' Beautiful Sunbird are still one species, including some heavily birded countries including Gambia and Ethiopia. So that#s likely to be the one that;s been played, while the new Gorgeous Sunbird is to be found in Tanzania or most of Kenya if someone wants to play that.

Much harder to work out is Olive-capped Coua, split from Red-capped Coua. Both are in different bits of Madagascar. Nothing obvious to suggest which is the easier. So in the interests of an easy life I'll say the one that hasn't changed its name has been played, and the new one is available.

I'll contribute with another cool ground babbler, had to wade through streaming water almost up to my waist to get to its marshy habitat:
#9130 Marsh Babbler

Last edited:
We've had another typo - current total is 9220 rather than 9130.

9216 Gorgeous Sunbird
9217 Elegant Sunbird
9218 Ursula's Sunbird
9219 Grey-breasted Babbler
9220 Marsh Babbler

Users who are viewing this thread

Back